[COMPLETE] The Amazing Spider-Girl (Female Ben Reilly Custom Dye-Sub Suit)

Re: The Amazing Spider-Girl [Female Ben Reilly Custom Dye-Sub Suit]

Like your progress so far. I cant sew at all, so BIG PROPS to you girl...

Haven't seen a lot of activity gere lately. Any progress?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys!

Sorry for the lack of updating. Been busy with work and helping a few friends jump start their cosplays. We're going down to Otakon 2014, so we're all on a bit of a deadline!

Will definitely be doing some work on Spider-Girl this week! Finally decided that I'm going to opt for a T-Zip shape on the back as seen on the back of the TASM2 suit, with zippers on the wrists. I may be able to alter my pattern to zip around the neck rather than down the back of the head in order to make the mask removable, as there seems to be a little slack in the height of the mask. I have a small head so this combined with building out my face shell a bit should rectify this. Undecided if I want zippers on the ankles. Can anyone offer and pros / cons to this?

Hey guys!

Sorry for the lack of updating. Been busy with work and helping a few friends jump start their cosplays. We're going down to Otakon 2014, so we're all on a bit of a deadline!

Will definitely be doing some work on Spider-Girl this week! Finally decided that I'm going to opt for a T-Zip shape on the back as seen on the back of the TASM2 suit, with zippers on the wrists. I may be able to alter my pattern to zip around the neck rather than down the back of the head in order to make the mask removable, as there seems to be a little slack in the height of the mask. I have a small head so this combined with building out my face shell a bit should rectify this. Undecided if I want zippers on the ankles. Can anyone offer and pros / cons to this?

The tasm2 movie suit has 2 zippers around the while waist and the small up to the ba k spider. So top and pants are seperated.
Only a t is maybe too small to get in i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subscribed! I'm enjoying your progress & we need to see more Spider-Girls/Spider-Women. Looking forward of seeing you in the costume after you done sewing it up.

Looks great so far! Are you heading to NYCC this year?

Looks great so far! Are you heading to NYCC this year?

Unfortunately not. It sold out before I could get any tickets..... :-( I am going to Otakon 2014 with this cosplay though!

So sorry for the lack of updating! Life and work has been getting in the way, along with my friends' last minute rush to get their cosplays together for the aforementioned convention, which I've been providing a lot of help on. And by a lot of help I mean doing 90% of the work lol, but I enjoy it. Including my spider-girl, I'm helping my boyfriend with a Captain America stealth suit from Winter Soldier, and two of my friends are doing Symbiote Spidey and Adult Gohan from DBZ.

Anyway, on to the few updates I have!

Arms / Hands:

Traced out the hands at the largest possible. The fingers for me came out about as snug as I would want them. I have short thumbs to begin with, and some of the other fingers came out a bit long as swell so some adjustments need to be made (particularly the area stretching between thumb and index finger needs to be taken in about an inch). Outside palm will also be taken in about as much. Won't do any adjustments until all zippers are installed.

IMG_1130-W.jpg IMG_1187-W.jpg

Added in the wrist zipper for one arm :)

IMG_1212-W.jpg

And here is a full body shot, minus one arm that is actually attached now (this one still needs the wrist zipper installed). The shoulder area was a pain in the @#$& and required a bit of finagling with the pattern... BUT I'M SO PSYCHED ABOUT IT!!!!!

IMG_1163-W.jpg

Shoes:
These cost me about $20.00 at Payless about a month ago. I think they're called Airwalks.

DSCN0340-W.jpg

Stripped them apart, spray painted the soles black, then started sewing quickly by hand the canvas on the inside of the foot to the bottom of the suit for added support and to ensure that they will stay in place. Just a whip stitch using a curved upholstery needle I happened to have.

IMG_1210-W.jpg

Then started gluing them to the feet of the suit (while fully in it through both arms) using Weldwood Contact Cement that I got at home depot for about $3.00.

IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1215.JPG

After standing in the glue for about 15 minutes, it came out like this:

IMG_1217-W.jpg IMG_1216-W.jpg

Everything stuck really well so I really recommend this glue. Still need to go back and touch up the edges though :)

Tight! Glad that you're almost finish with you're Spider-Girl project in time for Otakon while balancing in helping people with their cosplay projects.

that is sick!! I am thoroughly impressed. Wish I was going to Otakon to see this in person!

Really, REALLY quick update with a poor quality cell phone pic: IT IS DONE!!!!!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407418063.251094.jpg

I had an issue with boiling the eyes to mold them at 1:00 AM in the morning and ending up cracking one of them in half >_<, so I quickly engineered some eye frames out of craft foam since I'm leaving for Otakon tonight. Lenses in the pic are still TJack's.

Here is a separate pic of the web shooters that are crafted out of card stock and craft foam, covered with metallic spray paint:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407418318.176085.jpg

There will be many more pics and elaborations on the process after I return from the con Sunday evening, though I the update may be pushed to during the week due to jumping right back into my day job Monday.

Really, REALLY quick update with a poor quality cell phone pic: IT IS DONE!!!!!!!!!

View attachment 359611

I had an issue with boiling the eyes to mold them at 1:00 AM in the morning and ending up cracking one of them in half >_<, so I quickly engineered some eye frames out of craft foam since I'm leaving for Otakon tonight. Lenses in the pic are still TJack's.

Here is a separate pic of the web shooters that are crafted out of card stock and craft foam, covered with metallic spray paint:

View attachment 359613

There will be many more pics and elaborations on the process after I return from the con Sunday evening, though I the update may be pushed to during the week due to jumping right back into my day job Monday.

That what's up!! Your Spider-Girl is complete just in time for Otakon all while balance work & helping your friends' cosplays. Like I said before, it always refreshing to see female Spideys as there ain't enough of them. You have a good time @ Otakon.

Your Spidey suit looks awesome! Can't wait to see more photos of it in action :D

View attachment 359611

View attachment 359613

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up from the floor.

Hokay, so... As promised, Otakon photos of me in the finished suit :) As a note I also sewed the mostly black Symbiote suit and the Man of Steel suit seen below for my friends.

Otakon2014020-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014022-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014031-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014033-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014034-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014040-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014041-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014043-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014046-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014053-1024x768.jpg Otakon2014056-1024x768.jpg

AND a bonus of me as an Assassin's Creed inspired modern assassin and my boyfriend as Rorschach from Watchmen :) The assassin is still a work in progress. Need to update my thread for that "build" (link in signature).

Otakon2014001-768x1024.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back