I would like to purchase/make this cosplay & I need help!(Harley Quinn Arkham Asylum)

Thala Hash

I'm going to Comic Con in April, 2014. I would like to dress in Harley Quinn's Arkham Asylum outfit.

The image to the far right is the costume I want:
http://www.superrobotmayhem.com/ima...arkham-asylum-harley-quinn-toy-review_943.jpg

Here is a link to the closest replica I can find so far:
Harley Quinn Arkham Asylum by AnaSBertola on deviantART

I want mine to look identical to this, but I have extremely limited sewing knowledge. I can only sew with patterns, and I don't know how to make one.

I would prefer to just find somewhere that sells this costume, but I'm afraid there might not be one. And I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars to have one custom made.

Help please!

Re: I would like to purchase/make this cosplay & I need help!(Harley Quinn Arkham Asy

I took a look at the picture you linked. A few comments:

-If you want the costume to look *exactly* like that could be a tall order....

-The Nurse outfit that goes underneath the corset should be readily available and cheap from any supplier. Try Hallowe'en costume shops

-The face makeup is cheap..readily available anywhere.

-The blond wig will be cheap from any costume supplier

-The custom leather boots and corset you could probably get somewhat close for a reasonable amount of money. If you want to have them exact that could be very tricky...you would also have to buy two pairs of boots (one purple one red) and split them up to get one of each or buy a cheap set of boots (black) and overlay your colours with a media.

-I would suggest finding a close proximity corset and boot combo and really spending your time on the make up and fake blood

You could probably avoid sewing for the most part.

Hope this helps.

Re: I would like to purchase/make this cosplay & I need help!(Harley Quinn Arkham Asy

Unfortunately, when it comes to getting something on the cheap (small budget) it usually means that you will have to do a lot of the work on your own. Or find a cheap quality maker out of China (check Ebay).

Having something made and not custom means that there could end up being fit issues etc... To keep the price down you will probably want the items made in pleather and boot covers instead of actual boots.

I know of some high end costume makers who can do this, but they aren't what I would consider cheap, but then that term is relative. What's the top end of your budget for the whole costume?

I took a look at the picture you linked. A few comments:

-If you want the costume to look *exactly* like that could be a tall order....

--- I don't need it to be exact, but as close as possible.

-The Nurse outfit that goes underneath the corset should be readily available and cheap from any supplier. Try Hallowe'en costume shops

--- hopefully that part won't be so hard. I often order things off aliexpress.com so maybe I can find the top and skirt on there.

-The face makeup is cheap..readily available anywhere.

--- I planned on getting the good stuff. I've worked with a haunted house as a makeup artist and the makeup they provided was not very good. I intended on trying out the cream makeup pans from fxwarehouse.com

-The blond wig will be cheap from any costume supplier

--- luckily I am blonde so I don't have to worry about that :)

-The custom leather boots and corset you could probably get somewhat close for a reasonable amount of money. If you want to have them exact that could be very tricky...you would also have to buy two pairs of boots (one purple one red) and split them up to get one of each or buy a cheap set of boots (black) and overlay your colours with a media.

--- I guess my issue with this is finding materials to begin with :( finding tall purple boots is very hard, and I'm not sure where I could go to get material to just make boot covers myself with faux leather. Joann's never seems to have what I want.

-I would suggest finding a close proximity corset and boot combo and really spending your time on the make up and fake blood

--- the makeup I will try a million times before we go to make sure I get it down right, because I'm also doing my boyfriends makeup as the joker also from Arkham Asylum. So I'll definitely be taking my time on that. And I have different bloods left over from Halloween I can use luckily such as the zombie splatter spray kind.

You could probably avoid sewing for the most part.

Hope this helps.

---- thank you very much! I guess the hardest part will be the boots :/

Unfortunately, when it comes to getting something on the cheap (small budget) it usually means that you will have to do a lot of the work on your own. Or find a cheap quality maker out of China (check Ebay).

Having something made and not custom means that there could end up being fit issues etc... To keep the price down you will probably want the items made in pleather and boot covers instead of actual boots.

I know of some high end costume makers who can do this, but they aren't what I would consider cheap, but then that term is relative. What's the top end of your budget for the whole costume?

So far I'm having issues even finding a plain white pleated skirt :( not to mention I don't know where to even start with the boots and corset. I would prefer them not to be boot covers, but I might have to go that route because finding inexpensive red/purple boots will be a task for sure.
I really couldn't tell you my budget because I'm not sure. I was hoping to keep it under $150 for the entire outfit. That might not be possible though unless I do it myself and I'm not even sure where to start :(

I took a quick look online.

I noticed under your name is says you're in Illinois. So I based my search around that.

There is a store I found in Chicago.

They have a set of purple boots...they would need some alterations to extend above the knee and give the right look. http://skyscraperheels.com/boots/index.htm

You may find it easier to use a set of black boots like : Amazon.com: Chinese Laundry Women's Flash Boot: Chinese Laundry: Shoes

Use some adhesive that you can dissolve later to "glue" your purple panels to the boots without ruining them.

The same store in Chicago also sells corsets.

You may want to order your corset online though. You could probably get it much cheaper and get one that looks close.

NEW 4 Colors! Faux Leather Buckles Rivets Clubwear Underbust Punk Corset S-2XL | eBay

for instance has the "suspender" type straps you'd be looking for.

As far as the skirt goes:

What about something like:

Boast USA Womens Pleated Skort (but find a cheaper one)

Although any tennis supply store should have a white pleaded skirt/skort that would work.

If you're going to be dousing it in blood anyway you could always try a second hand shop?

Sorry if my replies are confusing as I'm brand new to this site and not sure how it works quite yet.

I'm really loving the suspender under bust corset. I also found those on amazon. The issue is that they don't have them in purple. Online I found patterns for bustiers though and also I did a lot of digging and realized that I could order purple and red faux leather from upholstery websites and use the patterns I found online. That would cut my costs down a ton because fake leather upholstery seems to be extremely cheap.

As well I found arm warmer patterns and I could just do that. I don't mind sewing as long as I have a pattern. Whatever makes this all cheap as possible lol.

I have a feeling the skirt I can find at a tennis supply store or like you said a resale store. The white shirt underneath probably shouldn't be too hard either. I'll look online more.

I'm thinking what I'll do for the boots is spend the extra money on tall pu leather red and purple boots that are plain and use the leftover upholstery fabric to "create my own" boot on top of the others.

I guess I was just panicking because I've never done anything like this really.

Thank you sincerely for all of your help! I greatly appreciate it :) I have two other costumes if you wanna help with those too hahaha just kidding (kind of)

Happy to help anytime. Keep us updated on your progress. I'm interested to see how it turns out. :)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back