Yoda VD lightsaber discussion

Nicely done Speed. the machining on the pommel looks great! how did you grab it when you lathed it? i am curious as i was thinking of doing the same to mine but because its externally threaded i couldn't see a good point to grab it on my lathe without messing up the threads.
There's a 1/4-20 hole going through it, right?

Just thread a bolt through, grab the bolt in the chuck and go to town.

There's a 1/4-20 hole going through it, right?

Just thread a bolt through, grab the bolt in the chuck and go to town.

Bingo. What Dann said. Whatever you do, take your time and ensure you don't get chatter like I did. Or your knurling will turn into gnarling like mine. You only get one shot when doing it.

Update!!

Sjanish was gracious enough to sell me an oil pan activation box that required a bit of work and did not make the cut for sale but i was more than happy to make repairs as needed. The part was amazing as is and really tied everything together. i decided to keep everything in line for ascetic reasons and for switch placement (see below).
20170120_162441.jpg

i picked up the proper brass screw for the top and the last step is the PEX. i am not sure if/how i am going to install this one yet as i have electronics to deal with and not sure if i would be able to secure it properly. After that, the last step before i am happy is going to be to redo the grips and respray the activation ring. I might hold off on milling the pommel cap. I am pretty sure i could do it with what you have all told me but if i did mess up, finding a replacement would be damn hard (took me 2 years to find this Bolsey to begin with and i have a feeling the prices might go up as time goes on).

I know this isnt the correct forum or topic for electronic installs but i thought everyone might enjoy seeing a bolsey with some action! in case anyone was wondering, yes. you can fit a full sized 18650 3.7v battery, Tri Cree LED, heat sink, board, switch, recharge port, and speaker in this lil guy. its not easy at all but it will fit. For the switch, i used a pre existing hole and made a momentary switch cover from a 5mm led. i wanted to keep it as discrete as possible.
20170120_162512.jpg20170120_162652.jpg20170124_094713.jpg20170124_094739.jpg

Update!!

Sjanish was gracious enough to sell me an oil pan activation box that required a bit of work and did not make the cut for sale but i was more than happy to make repairs as needed. The part was amazing as is and really tied everything together. i decided to keep everything in line for ascetic reasons and for switch placement (see below).
View attachment 700842

i picked up the proper brass screw for the top and the last step is the PEX. i am not sure if/how i am going to install this one yet as i have electronics to deal with and not sure if i would be able to secure it properly. After that, the last step before i am happy is going to be to redo the grips and respray the activation ring. I might hold off on milling the pommel cap. I am pretty sure i could do it with what you have all told me but if i did mess up, finding a replacement would be damn hard (took me 2 years to find this Bolsey to begin with and i have a feeling the prices might go up as time goes on).

I know this isnt the correct forum or topic for electronic installs but i thought everyone might enjoy seeing a bolsey with some action! in case anyone was wondering, yes. you can fit a full sized 18650 3.7v battery, Tri Cree LED, heat sink, board, switch, recharge port, and speaker in this lil guy. its not easy at all but it will fit. For the switch, i used a pre existing hole and made a momentary switch cover from a 5mm led. i wanted to keep it as discrete as possible.
View attachment 700856View attachment 700857View attachment 700858View attachment 700859

Wow... this is what my Bolsey 2 wants to be once its finished...

looks great! I like that DEC end cap

What type of paint did you use? I'm finally putting mine together and used a satin black spray paint, but I feel it came out too shiny...

Now looking at yours, it doesn't look to bad.... I assume that's satin?

Or....?

Anyone think they know what was on the original?

What type of paint did you use? I'm finally putting mine together and used a satin black spray paint, but I feel it came out too shiny...

Now looking at yours, it doesn't look to bad.... I assume that's satin?

Or....?

Anyone think they know what was on the original?
I used Krylon satin black on mine, but I would say that their "satin" seems a bit too glossy - I just used some on a ROTJ Hero but stripped it off and went with flat black instead.

Here's the original for reference:

YodasLightsaber-RealProp16_zps36c21785.jpg

I guess that could be a satin. I'm not sure if it's just the application, but it *almost* looks like one of those hammered finish paints.

I used Krylon satin black on mine, but I would say that their "satin" seems a bit too glossy - I just used some on a ROTJ Hero but stripped it off and went with flat black instead.

Here's the original for reference:

View attachment 708822

I guess that could be a satin. I'm not sure if it's just the application, but it *almost* looks like one of those hammered finish paints.

Agreed. I'll have to pick up a different satin and try again (my can broke halfway through the job anyway, so need a new one)

Flat just seems wrong. But if this doesn't work, I may just spray flat and put on a semi gloss clear coat or something.

Hey Scott, I sent you an email about getting the wheel, grips and oil pan printed, working on a Praco build and was told you were the guy to contact!

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my latest attempt a molding the Lamborghini wheel. I remade my mold with a firmer RTV.

In the middle is the original wheel. On the left is a cleaned up casting. The right is a raw casting.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t430/silentj1/Yoda/DSC07349_zps1ynlkmcn.jpg

I am casting them in a pressure pot but can't get rid of one stupid bubble...so frustrating. :angry If you look closely you see the blue tape pointing at it.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t430/silentj1/Yoda/DSC07364_zpszilhpbzs.jpg

Be on the look out in the Junkyard.

Hey Scott, I sent you an email about getting the wheel, grips and oil pan printed, working on a Praco build and was told you were the guy to contact!

I posted this in my "projects thread" but since this Yoda VD thread is such a cool log of info, thought I would put these up in here as well!

Here is my finished Yoda on a Praco... correct wheel...

33545424311_169718f805_c.jpg

33518127102_74ae79fe6b_c.jpg

33545420811_fb94e85d85_c.jpg

33518122282_70e1e9de34_c.jpg

33545423501_3201e6076b_c.jpg

And here his is with his ugly scratch built twin with incorrect lambo wheel

33518125472_efd459ceaf_c.jpg

33545422531_50d5a9f846_c.jpg

and their accurate to ED209 cases...

33518123792_a6a8f7151a_c.jpg

33545421641_89188ee5c4_c.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back