If they reboot INDIANA JONES, who would you pick to play Indy?

Laspector said: Why not just make up a new character that has new kinds of adventures? Is that so impossible these days?
They did it with National Treasure
wink.png

And they did it with "Battleship" too.

That's why they keep doing remakes.

------

I generally agree with the "nooooooooooooo don't reboot it!" sentiment! The originals (minus that awful 4th movie) are just too good to tarnish with a reboot.
If I had to pick, though, I think a relatively unknown would be best. (Isn't that basically how the Star Trek reboots did it? Aside from Quinto on Heroes and Urban with a bit of sci-fi recognition, everyone else was pretty new)

I vote Rob Kazinsky (Pacific Rim, and he was almost in the Hobbit, but left due to personal/family reasons)
rob_kazinsky.jpg

Or Karl Urban

Tyler Hoechlin? (I know he's on some silly MTV show right now, but he's got a lot of buzz around him as an upcoming actor)
tyler-hoechlin-2013-film-independent-spirit-awards-02.jpg
Oh, I agree there. But (A) even if people dislike the films, they keep making money, and (B) all that does is tell the suits that yes, making movies really IS just painting by numbers.
The problem is by the time these people decide they didn't like the movie, they already paid and watched it! In order to find out if you liked it, you have to watch it, and if you go to the theatre because you hoped it was good, you put numbers in their stats. Lose-lose.

Poor guy must be regretting his life choices. No one hates his resume more than Robert Pattinson himself. IMO, it's the same reason Charlie Hunnam bowed out of a 50 Shades of Grey movie. :facepalm

I'm against a reboot but if there was anyone i'd say Noah Wiley, he did really good in the Librarian series.

That started already? I keep seeing stuff from Chris Kane's FB (Or am I just dumb and this show they're talking about is a reboot still involving Noah?)

Timothy Olyphant would make a good Indy, IF they had to reboot it. Just my opinion, but he was great in "Deadwood" and also in "Justified".

IF they do a reboot -- and I pray they don't -- I expect they'll reboot the series with an actor in their late 20s or early 30s, signed to a multi-picture deal, so as to get the most bang for their buck.

But realistically, I just don't see this happening and wouldn't want it happening.

Indy, the character, is firmly rooted in Republic adventure serials and such, usually set in and around the 1930s. You could extend that into the 1940s and have him involved in World War II, but you can't really go past that (as the 4th film showed). Indy in the 1950s, or god forbid the 1960s or 1970s just...wouldn't make sense. He'd be a complete fish out of water, and not in an entertaining way.

I just don't see Indy as being all that adaptable to other timeframes. For that matter, I think Indy adapted to other timeframes would feel VERY formulaic in a bad way. I think Indy is basically a trilogy, and beyond that, there just ain't much story to tell. Tell other stories in a somewhat similar vein with different characters.

With Disney taking the helm with the Indy franchise and the possibility of a reboot,
who do you think could handle the role?

Karl Urban?

Young enough to play the role, old enough to make it believable, tries to do a number of his own stunts, and is a decent actor in his own right.

I think the more pertinent question would be "Who should play Dr. Jones, Sr."? Or, will this be Henry III with Harry Ford as Henry II?

I like the idea of Carl Urban but the problem with him is that, one: he's already tied into NuTrek and some audiences might associate him too much with McCoy to see him as Indy and not to mention that I'm not sure you could have an actor tied so closely to two big franchises simultaneously; two: you'd have to film at least 3 Indy films in fairly short order in order to get the most out of him otherwise you'll run into the same situation as with Harrison Ford where he'll get too old to play the character if you space the films out too far.

I'd rather see this as a mature animated film. We could have the best of both worlds, more Indy keep harrison Ford for a few more years

IF they do a reboot -- and I pray they don't -- I expect they'll reboot the series with an actor in their late 20s or early 30s, signed to a multi-picture deal, so as to get the most bang for their buck.

But realistically, I just don't see this happening and wouldn't want it happening.

Indy, the character, is firmly rooted in Republic adventure serials and such, usually set in and around the 1930s. You could extend that into the 1940s and have him involved in World War II, but you can't really go past that (as the 4th film showed). Indy in the 1950s, or god forbid the 1960s or 1970s just...wouldn't make sense. He'd be a complete fish out of water, and not in an entertaining way.

I just don't see Indy as being all that adaptable to other timeframes. For that matter, I think Indy adapted to other timeframes would feel VERY formulaic in a bad way. I think Indy is basically a trilogy, and beyond that, there just ain't much story to tell. Tell other stories in a somewhat similar vein with different characters.

This.

Harrison is Indy.

And even if he wasn't, it would still be very tough to make Indy work outside of the 1930s.

Some franchises are just not meant to be rebooted/continued.

Can you imagine trying to make a new "Back to the Future" project work?

This.

Harrison is Indy.

And even if he wasn't, it would still be very tough to make Indy work outside of the 1930s.

Some franchises are just not meant to be rebooted/continued.

Can you imagine trying to make a new "Back to the Future" project work?

Well why couldn't it still be a period piece? The assumption here is that Indy is going to get "updated" to the present just because of a reboot. But it doesn't have to be.

Also, Sherlock Holmes was supposed to be set in Victorian times, but the BBC managed to update it incredibly well in Sherlock.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back