If they reboot INDIANA JONES, who would you pick to play Indy?

This guy.
image.jpg

What exactly are people's qualifications for the role? I mean, I'd hope it goes beyond "brown hair, strong jawline, and the ability to pull off the stubbly look reasonably well."

To my way of thinking, Indy needs a physical presence that is strong, but not overly imposing (like Bond). More importantly, also like Bond, Indy needs to be able to display a mix of worldly knowledge with grounded humanity and a touch of (mostly physical, but occasionally emotional) vulnerability.

But to be perfectly honest....I don't want the role recast. I don't want additional stories, at least not on film. You wanna do cartoons or video games or comic books or whathaveyou, fine and dandy, but this goes WELL beyond the "Connery is Bond" thing. Ford IS Indy. My sense is that so much of Ford is mixed in with the character (at least in terms of the performance) that it's not entirely clear where one begins and the other ends. I don't think anyone could really do the role justice, so I'd rather they not bother.

Honestly, some series should just be allowed to gracefully ride into the sunset. The Indy series is one of them.

Can't be anyone too chiseled and manly. He's got to also have some of that "regular guy" vulnerability and appeal as well.

how about eric bana,i was hoping he might of got the role as the new mad max but tom hardy scored the part and i think he will do a pretty good job.

how about eric bana,i was hoping he might of got the role as the new mad max but tom hardy scored the part and i think he will do a pretty good job.

I'm glad Tom Hardy got the part, big fan of his.. Will be cool seeing Mel Gibson making a camo appearance..

As for Eric Bana.. Noooo.. :lol We've seen what he did with Hulk.. When I think of Bana, all I see is Poida from Full Frontal, and Chopper.. Though, he was awesome as Chopper..

What exactly are people's qualifications for the role? I mean, I'd hope it goes beyond "brown hair, strong jawline, and the ability to pull off the stubbly look reasonably well."

To my way of thinking, Indy needs a physical presence that is strong, but not overly imposing (like Bond). More importantly, also like Bond, Indy needs to be able to display a mix of worldly knowledge with grounded humanity and a touch of (mostly physical, but occasionally emotional) vulnerability.

But to be perfectly honest....I don't want the role recast. I don't want additional stories, at least not on film. You wanna do cartoons or video games or comic books or whathaveyou, fine and dandy, but this goes WELL beyond the "Connery is Bond" thing. Ford IS Indy. My sense is that so much of Ford is mixed in with the character (at least in terms of the performance) that it's not entirely clear where one begins and the other ends. I don't think anyone could really do the role justice, so I'd rather they not bother.

Honestly, some series should just be allowed to gracefully ride into the sunset. The Indy series is one of them.

Agreed. This echoes what I posted later on in this topic.

And to be honest, why do another Indy movie? If we want the magic and the adventure of that franchise, then yes, do animated or comics or whatnot. But there comes a point where if you keep adding to a piece or a body or work, its' going to ruin it and destroy what made it what it was in the first place.I firmly believe George Lucas did this with the Star Wars movies, which have become bloated with way too much bad storyline (JMHO). Star Trek was smart to have the original cast "sign off" after ST:TUD, as there is only so much story they can cover with that cast. I know we want Indy back in action, but there are other avenues to this.

This isn't to dump on anyone's parade, but just an honest look at this subject. Hollywood needs to take chances again and allow for some fresh, new ideas to come into the mix. Imagine if the people running tinseltown did then what the folks running it now are doing? We would never of had the ideas, movies and franchises we love and endlessly make props of! Some of the franchises simply need to make way, and the powers that be in Hollywood need to get their heads out of the "worked once, will work again" trap, and take a freakin' chance on something original....

And if Hollywood cannot find new ideas, then maybe it's time for them to hand the reins over to people who do have some ideas and brave new worlds to explore and conquer cinematicaly.

Star Wars and Indy were both homage. If they had only had original ideas we wouldn't have either of them.

I wholeheartedly agree with Solo4114, although I would like to see maybe one more Indy movie before Harrison Ford is too old to act without fear of breaking a hip. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I grew up with Harrison Ford playing Indy, and until someone can convince me that someone can play Henry Jones Jr. with the same feel and mannerisms that Harrison Ford can, I will never be able to comfortably see anyone else playing Indy.

Star Wars and Indy were both homage. If they had only had original ideas we wouldn't have either of them.

I'm not saying only original ideas; what I am saying is that Hollywood is far too reliant on what has already been, and needs a great deal of fresh and new in the mix. They need to stop trying to remake the old and instead allow the old to inspire and influence rather than keep redesigning the old to make it new constantly. I don't mind a new version now and again, but where is the innovation for ideas that aren't simply a rehashed version of an old movie with the same title?

In any event, I'm not going to post again in this thread; not out of pique or being upset (which I'm not), but because I don't want to derail the OP here.

There is a HUGE difference between an homage that brings a new spin to a familiar genre or style of film, and a reboot/remake/sequel/prequel.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back