Its Pink and Green and gunna be MEAN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really do look great Guy, got your pics on my cell too, thanks. There so elegant, so complicated, so expensive, so Slave fans should really appreciate this. You going to be so stoked when you build the hull, and you can literally slip this insane set of assemblies straight on, stand back, and BAM.....Slave One baby, some of the coolest donors in history in them there wings!

lee

Yeah those wings are the coolest kitbashed parts on a studio models ! All those layers looks so great and so delicate !

Keep up the good work Guy, you did the hardest part ! :D

Yeah those wings are the coolest kitbashed parts on a studio models ! All those layers looks so great and so delicate !

Keep up the good work Guy, you did the hardest part ! :D

The wings are def very cool and interesting, they bring it character and break up
all those tough curves of hull and landing skirts. Good job figuring those out Guy
they look great!

Julien do you find the wings to be the hardest part within
themselves? Or do you find them to be the hardest part
in building the model as a whole? Asking out of a building
perspective.

Funny you should say that, I just broke my third, even with heat, Any chance you fancy cast a few more when you do some more casting, I was gunna by another 2 kits but nothing seems to get em to stay in shape with out destroying em, I was thinking of scratching em but if you do get a chance would really appreciate it?

I havent cast mine yet :D (actually I did 3 but used the wrong spoiler, need to start again with the BT-46 spoiler instead of the BT-44 :D).

I'll do a set for you.

Mike, I think the wing are the hardest parts to make because it's very hard to figure how they were built. Those are really scratchbuilt. I know some may thing it's just kitbashed, but actually everything is cut and those cuts are hard to nail, cutting all those parts it's not more different than cutting stock styrene (could even be a bit more tricky). There is 0 tolerance in the placement of the inner pipe, if you screw the cut of a part or if another is off by a few millimeter, it wont work. Or the wings will have a weird angle. Or the wings wont rotate like they should (a bit less than 90°). The wings are a real challenge because with all the parts, if everything is done correctly, you can have something close to 99% accurate.

Which is not the case of the hull, that's something noone will ever achieve. Something 90% right would be already a good result ! And you did an awesome job !

Actually I think the most difficult thing of the whole build is the paintjob. I know it is not for Guy though ! Haha ! :)

The wings are def very cool and interesting, they bring it character and break up
all those tough curves of hull and landing skirts. Good job figuring those out Guy
they look great!

Julien do you find the wings to be the hardest part within
themselves? Or do you find them to be the hardest part
in building the model as a whole? Asking out of a building
perspective.

You get all worked up about things and look what
happens.....they got made.LOL Nothing to get worked
up about. "Zero tolerance" I don't say things like
that that's like terrorizing yourself with your own
words. Zero tolerance doesn't exist for me building
these things that's for guys that build bridges and
race car transmissions & engines. LOL If you stick
with it long enough it all works out every time.

Someone finally said "This can't be impossible let me
sit down and figure it out" And look what happened
there done.....! LOL Like Paul Simon Said "These are
the days of lasers in jungle.....lasers in the jungle
somewhere, the boy in the bubble and the baby with
a baboon heart!" If we got all that it was just a matter
of time before those wings were figured out! LMAO

Good now someone put together some hulls to
cram them into :)

Last edited:
Michael this is a big thing, so many have started out on this model, and I'm talking some big names, and still not got close to a finish line, Julien and Guy may be the only guys to crack this for many years, its a true Unicorn of a model, with the ref around today though, these guys will crack it, Julien himself, I'm sure would agree, its one tough model, even IDing it was a long process and took many great eyes to get this far.

lee

Michael this is a big thing, so many have started out on this model, and I'm talking some big names, and still not got close to a finish line, Julien and Guy may be the only guys to crack this for many years, its a true Unicorn of a model, with the ref around today though, these guys will crack it, Julien himself, I'm sure would agree, its one tough model, even IDing it was a long process and took many great eyes to get this far.

lee

Yes in that sense finding the parts and making it totally SS
as much as you can is a big deal. But building it to me isn't
a big deal.....because I built mine using the same building
skills that's always a constant. I built mine in the same way
the original was made, I made patterns formed them and
put it together. Now does mine look like the filming mini.....
absolutely not to a "T", but I know if I wanted to if I was willing to
shelll out the cash i could do it. I don't let models be bigger than
me or intimidate me, and at your core you need to have that
ingredient as a builder, even if it's only a teaspoon! :)

Those guys at ILM were professional model builders,
that's why they were able to create the things George
asked for. They knew they could make it they used the
skills they had and they just did it, it was a job
even if they were loving it or hating it at some points.
When they were asked to meet the next challenge they just
did it, when you start out to make something like the slave,
you have to be able to meet the challenge just like them.

Last edited:
I do agree building a Slave One hull is not a big deal. Having worked as a propmaker and modelmaker for the fx industry some years ago (for movies, commercials, shows), I can tell it was pretty easy for the ILM team to build the Slave One. Just because they didnt have to be accurate to anything (just take a look at the preproduction drawings, at the foam mock up and the final filming model, proportions are not the same). The only true problem when working in the industry (Im not talking about doing commission jobs for a collector) is time (budget can be an other). While working ont he Slave One, they were also working on all the other models at the same time (both star destroyers, Falcon, small and big AT-AT's, PD, could cars, snowspeeders and so on). Fortunatly enough they were a team, even if most of the guys were multi tasks, some were dedicated to some specific work (armatures etc). Being a true modelmaker is not knowing if we are able to do such thing or another, we can always build everything, this is HOW to make it to speed up the process. They could have done a fiberglass hull for the Slave One, but that's not a good idea. This is a one off, vacforming is the way to go. Once the plug is made a pull can be done in a minute, no need to to make a mold of the buck, waiting for the resin to cure etc. Faster, cheaper, better for the budget and timeline ! :) That's what you Mike are doing with your Slave, like if it was a model for a film (less the deadline issue).

However this particular section of the forum is dedicated to Studio Scale. The studio scale guys are not building models for a movie in a freestyle manner (the freestyle manner only applies to building sci fi models :p of course when youve been asked to build a model of an exisiting boat, plane or house, you cant fool people and have to be very accurate :)), but a replica of a filming model. So yes, every millimeter is important, if it wasnt, the model would go in the general modeling section (even then, I still dont understand why Jon's AT-AT is in the general section, I disgress).

I do understand you dont care if your model is not 100% accurate, if it looks like a Slave, it'll be OK ! And I totally respect that (and enjoy your thread) however you dont have the same way of thinking than most of the guys of this section.

Several ILM guys were not true modellers, just modelmakers. I mean that they never built any models of their own at home. One exception, Mike Fulmer was (and still is as he's still building RC planes for fun) really a modeller. That was just their job and they did it well. Some guys never built any model until joining the ILM team...

Yes in that sense finding the parts and making it totally SS
as much as you can is a big deal. But building it to me isn't
a big deal.....because I built mine using the same building
skills that's always a constant. I built mine in the same way
the original was made, I made patterns formed them and
put it together. Now does mine look like the filming mini.....
absolutely not to a "T", but I know if I wanted to if I was willing to
shelll out the cash i could do it. I don't let models be bigger than
me or intimidate me, and at your core you need to have that
ingredient as a builder, even if it's only a teaspoon! :)

Those guys at ILM were professional model builders,
that's why they were able to create the things George
asked for. They knew they could make it they used the
skills they had and they just did it, it was a job
even if they were loving it or hating it at some points.
When they were asked to meet the next challenge they just
did it, when you start out to make something like the slave,
you have to be able to meet the challenge just like them.

Well Guy just sent me a pic of the BT44b chassis i sent him, glued to other kit parts, i just wanted to say, bravo, and a job well done, good luck, were all counting on you!

lee

A florist is a florist, no matter who grows the flowers, now if a florist can grow their own flowers as well then thats another string to a blow, but they're still a florist if they arrange flowers. They just have more skills than the florist that can't grow or doesn't have a garden to grow them in!! I for one am a florist at best and would ove to grow my own one day, just happens I'm arranging some pretty damn nice flowers at the moment and they're driving me happy mad :)

Now these are a pain as Julien found out and are completely un symmetrical, typical that I had started out with symmetry and had to swap back to head scratching and new parts being made but worth the extra effort. You'd of thought they would've known one day some idiot will try and copy them and made them like this on purpose !!!!

Last edited:
A florist is a florist, no matter who grows the flowers, now if a florist can grow their own flowers as well then thats another string to a blow, but they're still a florist if they arrange flowers. They just have more skills than the florist that can't grow or doesn't have a garden to grow them in!! I for one am a florist at best and would ove to grow my own one day, just happens I'm arranging some pretty damn nice flowers at the moment and they're driving me happy mad :)

Don't sell yourself short....... see the spoiler pattern you
made.

View attachment 278860

Now these are a pain as Julien found out and are completely un symmetrical, typical that I had started out with symmetry and had to swap back to head scratching and new parts being made but worth the extra effort. You'd of thought they would've known one day some idiot will try and copy them and made them like this on purpose !!!!

They look great mate, really well put together, and i like the un symmetrical aesthetic, years ago this would have bugged me a lot, not so much now, its a common ILM quirk of fast paced working, loving it!

lee

OK you got me there Mike, still proud of that thing, it was so close I couldn't believe it!!!

Yea Luke said the same thing......After Yoda lifted the X-wing
out of the swamp!! That little spoiler is just like the rocks luke
lifted..... but thought the ship was too big remember? They
are same though......;) And when you realize they are the
same you will begin to realize your independence in the hobby,
then you can grow more flowers!!! LOL

Ha, love all the banter & opinions being said here, good stuff & makes you think!.
Love the wing work Guy, incredible trying to work those suckers out, you'll knock them out no problen mate.
All your research & years of pouring over ref suddenly comes to a head where you are actually sitting down & re-creating these assemblies, scary, yet exciting at the same time. Yeah I know there's always moments of terror & disasters unfold, but if ya stick with it an awesome mini will emerge.
You got da skills man!.

The Falcon scares the crap out of me from time to time, but time is a funny thing, it can change the way you look at a big mini & suddenly its not as big a monster now as it was a year ago say!.
Well, that's what I try to convince myself, ha, ha!.
Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back