platsil gel 10 painting

paplooo

Sr Member
hi guys !

I made a mask of platsil gel 10
probably this is a newbie question..
what paint should i use?? i tried to find some info here and some guys were saying acrylic paint mix with the gel 10.. but
is the first time ever im gonna do this... i need some guide ..

any help?..

thanks sooooo much !

You can use Platsil with oil paint to paint your piece with. I usually thin it down with mineral spirits when I go that method. My favorite method is using psycho paint. It adheres really well to any platinum silicone base. Some people use caulking silicone for painting, but I have never been able to get that to work.

Do not exceed about 6% or so of oil paint per mixture.

Yes, I use D-Limonene on my last mask and I have seen others use Naphtha and Bare Mineral Spirits to thin it, though I'm not sure which is best, or what definitely works. But D-Limonene (the citrus stuff like what they put in the hand cleaner etc) is what I used.

use a small cup, mix some Gel10 in it and mix in your pigment / paint, switch to a new cup and put your thinner in it DO NOT USE FOAM CUPS, the solvent will destroy it! It's a solvent so it'll dissipate and leave your pigmented silicone.

If I get an extra moment I'll find my saved videos and post them of what I used for references

PS. Using SILICONE PIGMENTS like what Smooth-On and BITY sells, is much, much better. See this guy's head in the video? See how translucent it is? It's TOO transparent. Use real pigments if possible and flocking. You'll never go back! It just takes a tad, BITY has a very, VERY affordable pigment trial tray that has like, 6 colors or so all in an acrylic base, has all you need. Order that and the red flocking and you're set. The better you pigment your silicone, (not to overdo it tho) the easier it is to paint. This guy here, his paint looks very pale, that's because of the head being too translucent.

Hope this all helps.

Btw, this is a reference video I used, this is not me or my video.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks sooo much .. ill give it a try and ill let you know guys..

a friend told me..
1.- mix a bit of silicone gel 10
2.- put some alcohol 99% to get it in the airbrush
3.- oil base colour

done.

I have yet to try to airbrush silicone. You are way ahead of me on that.

I had a tshirt airbrush business that I also lost in my... whole ordeal last year. Lost $7,500 worth of equipment, easels, tshirts, paint etc. I did have 3 nice Iwata brushes I used for automotive etc. Ugh. I'm so upset. OHH! Not to mention a $700, refrigerator quiet air compressor. Which would be nice now that I"m working out of my mother's spare bedroom. :(

Can't wait for pics of your progress.

Silicone caulking thinned with naptha or d-limonene works quite well through an airbrush. I recommend a Paasche H for ease of cleaning. The Shin-etsu brand of caulking works best.

cheers.! ill got tomorrow to buy a set of oil paints and try first with alcohol..
by the way im in UK London.. if somebody from here can recommend me any brand should be great..

thanks for your help!

Don't think I've ever seen that brand. I bought off ebay (for lack of transportation atm) some RTV style in a resealable, smaller tube, like the gasket maker stuff. But it's 100% sili and some of it worked fine, but some of it, seems to come off (but think it's only the pigment coming off?) perhaps I didn't get it all mixed up.

I can only find 90% iso alcohol at the store, is 90% ok? Think I saw someone say 99% is what they had.

success !
well...
if you rubbing your finger really hard against the silicone yes is coming off... but ill say.. i did it !

I WENT TO BUY A SIMPLE SET OF OIL PAINTS ( Daler Rowney )
i mixed in a cup a tiny amount of gel 10
then alcohol 99%
and i added the paint .. a bit amount as well not so transparent...
i did apply the paint with a brush just for details.. i haven't tried yet with my airbrush

was a bit sticky at the beginning but eventually it dries .. and i put some Baby Powder
thanks for your help guys !

cheers

Cristian

NP. some of mine turned out that way as well. I'm not sure the cause. I do have SOME make up on my mask too, but not sure which is which now at this point. Hit it with a hair dryer and let it set for a few days to see.

Other than that, I couldn't tell you, perhaps the paint didn't get all mixed in with the sili? I have heard of de-lamination (sp?) as well, if it's coming off as in the SILICONE then perhaps this is whats going on in your case. De-lamination is where one layer of silicone doesn't stick correctly and it separates. Mine comes off as color, rub it on your finger and it smears. I am fairly certain some of mine is NOT the make up the film crew used. smh.

Alcohol does not cut silicone. D-Limonene is a potential contaminate to platinum grade silicone and may cause delamination. Naptha or NOVOCS solvent are your best bets. My overall suggestion is to use psycho paint base system with sil pigs or if you have trouble mixing your color palettes, you can spring for fuse FX. You can also mix GE Silicone 1 Clear caulking with Naptha and sil pigs ( or oil paints) to create a silicone base that will stick ( however GE is opaque by nature ..never seems to work great on things like blood )

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back