SHOW OFF THREAD :) Doctor Who War Doctor Sonic Screwdriver PROTO ALL METAL

russrep

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys just thought id share someting i been working on, its just a proto at the moment, just sent the bottom machined part off to be anodised red to see how it looks.
Thanks heres some pics

photo2 (17).jpgphoto3 (15).jpgphoto4 (9).jpgphoto5 (4).jpgphoto6 (1).jpg

Wow! I'd love to have access to the machinery and knowledge about working with metal. It looks so much more authentic.

Sorry to be a debbie downer but it seems off to me. The red part on the bottom is wrong. I dunno if you're basing this off the screenshots or the toy itself but either way the very end of it seems off. Also, the black part of the emitter isn't sitting high enough and when the sonic is activated, you can't see enough of the black emitter. When he activated it on the show, you could see all of the black emitter and some of the rod it sits on.

I know it's just a prototype but I figured I'd point those things out.
Not trying to be a jerk, it actually looks really nicely made.

This may help visualize what WarMachine was talking about. It's not HD, but it's a decent shot.
WDSonic01_zps9a3fd634.png

This is where it is "extended." You can also see a little of the detail on the bottom of the red "button" there that appears to show a small lip and another white, silver or cream colored button on it. (it's like, "Yo dawg, I heard you liked buttons so I put a button on the butt your button's button so you can... not use any of them...")
As I'm sure you're aware, this prop was created by modifying a CO 4th Doctor toy. This is a great example of a fan prop that looks WAY nicer than the screen used prop. Moffat should have called in Russ to work on the show!

Last edited:
Oh. This sonic is one I was hoping you'd make. I absolutely want one. It's my favorite from the New Who series for some reason and would love to have it. I can't wait to see the rest and hope there is a run! :D

But the prop itself wasn't a metal version anyway, it was a plastic toy. Basically, if you buy the toy which has just been released, you are also buying a prop replica :D The prop in the show was a modified 4th Doctor Character Options Sonic Screwdriver toy.

But the prop itself wasn't a metal version anyway, it was a plastic toy. Basically, if you buy the toy which has just been released, you are also buying a prop replica :D The prop in the show was a modified 4th Doctor Character Options Sonic Screwdriver toy.

Everyone knows that. The purpose of this thread was to make a prettier one, for the discerning collector.

Exactly! Russ' 4th Doctor Sonic is a thing of beauty, one of the prizes in my collection and to have a War Doctor in the same style would be magnificent. I really hope this run happens.

Prettier than the ACTUAL prop? So we're not going for accuracy then? Just prettiness? :D

There are those who want the prop as held by the actor. They'll be cutting up their CO toys. Then there are those of us who want the prop as held by the character. They'll be interested in this metal one.

Count me as part of the latter group.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

Hi guys this is just the first one to get a feel, first I am just finishing the claw run then once we have got all the deatils I will offer a small run :)
Will post other pic next week of the better red part
Russ

Heh, Forbidden Planet added this to their War Sonic listing..

Despite our name - in this case we cannot ship internationally, UK and Irish customers only.

Mehh, rather have a metal one anyways.

I am definitely interested. I don't care what it was made of on the screen the plastic looks cheap, especially in the closeups!! On display with all the other METAL sonic screwdrivers it looks pretty lame.

Russ' work is always excellent!!

By the way, I do plan to buy the toy. I admit it's screen accurate, and at that price I wouldn't pass it up. Still, the metal will look more like a real tool.

Last edited:
Heh, Forbidden Planet added this to their War Sonic listing..

Despite our name - in this case we cannot ship internationally, UK and Irish customers only.

Mehh, rather have a metal one anyways.

Ya. I had ordered one and my order was canceled. :thumbsdown

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back