Brienne of Tarth (Game of Thrones)

Galacticat

UPDATE 10/29: Overview (and 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry!)

Brienne is one of my favorite characters, and I’d been debating making her armor since her first appearance on Game of Thrones. I finally set my mind to it and decided to get it done for this year’s DragonCon - which I did, but just barely! It was my first ever armor build, and it was definitely a huge learning experience. The build took about 3 months of work, with the last 2 weeks before the con probably encompassing over half of it.

Overview:

For this build, I focused on accuracy, fit, and cleanness. While accuracy was most important to me, I also wanted to make sure the armor fit my build and height, so that it looked natural on me and not bulky and awkward. And the armor needed to be functional - it’s one thing for it to simply “look right,” but I also wanted it to be realistic and to allow me as much mobility as possible. I spent a lot of time studying reference photos to create templates for the armor pieces and to figure out how all the pieces were attached to one another.

Worbla (over foam) was my choice of medium, mainly to get the ridges on the armor to look seamless and to be as crisp and straight as possible. This was my first time working with Worbla, and it was more work than expected. Some of the foam pieces had to be shaped before the Worbla went on, and that made it a lot more difficult to work with. I also spent countless hours spackling (alternating between Gesso and Bondo putty) and sanding to get it super smooth. The armor was first spray painted with a metallic base coat, then covered in Rub ‘N Buff to give it a realistic metallic look, and finally weathered with watered down acrylics.

This was also my first time working with leather. The belts began as raw belt blanks with a basketweave pattern - I stained them, added the eyelets, and made conchos for them (using prongless studs glued onto flat conchos). The ornate belt buckle was a lucky find on Etsy. The strapping on the armor was dyed and cut into strips from a raw hide, and attached using hardware rivets.

The gambeson skirts were sewn with faux suede, sandwiched around some quilting stuffing, then decorated with leather rivets. I opted for only making the skirts instead of the entire gambeson, as the rest of it's covered by the armor and chainmail. The chainmail is actually a knitted sweater dress, which I had to tear apart and sew back together because the “wrong” side of the fabric was the side that looked like maille. The pants, turtleneck, and boots were bought, as was the sword, though I modified the scabbard for accuracy. I have plans to make a fake sword because the current one is way too heavy to wear around at cons.

Proof photo:

-------------------------------

UPDATE 9/4:
It is done! We barely got it done in time for DragonCon. We stayed up all night Tuesday getting as much of it done as we could, then finished the rest in the hotel room on Wednesday. Let me tell you, doing your first test fit in the hotel is scary! But fortunately it all came together, and though there are a few things I'd like to change (mainly the chainmail sweater and wedge boots), I'm pretty damn happy with it.

Pictures!

Q9gDVzg.jpg

FXKnN23l.jpg

XfkP4YEl.jpg

DvL6Rd6l.jpg

-------------------------------

UPDATE 5/17:
I've officially decided to get this done for DragonCon 2014. So stay tuned for WIP updates!

So I've been considering doing Brienne's armor for some time now. I keep going back and forth on it, mainly because I've never done any armor and I think I'm just a bit intimidated. But at the same time, I've been dying to make some armor!

I had hoped to have it done for DragonCon but never even started on it. Instead I did her pink dress, which was cheap and easy (modded a dress found on eBay). Since it's been so well-received, though, it's motivated me to get back onto the armor. Here it is, for those who might be curious:

I have a lot of what I need for the costume, but it's the armor I'm not sure about. I've got some Worbla I'd love to try out, and I might use it on the smaller pieces. But what would you recommend for the chest and back pieces? I know most people when using Worbla will use two sheets of it, with foam sandwiched in-between - but that's gonna get ridiculously pricey. I do, however, like the idea of using Worbla as the top layer - that way I can glue down some cord/rope to make the ridges and heat the Worbla down over it. Do you think some thicker foam with just the Worbla on top would work all right? Or would another thermoplastic like Wonderflex, Styrene, or Sintra be better?

Here are some reference shots, for those not familiar with her character:

Last edited:
Re: Brienne of Tarth armor help (Game of Thrones)

Looking forward to seeing this build (for DragonCon 2014?) Subscribed!

Hey! I'm starting this armor myself and plan to be completed by mid-January and took a TOOOON of reference images/screenshots from that fight scene. I've already patterned it out and cut into foam; I'll upload some reference tonight for you. :)

From my experience with worbla, I don't see why people would do worbla on the back of the foam unless it's going to be seen. Just covering the outside and folding over a tiny bit to the inside is amazingly strong, especially if the shape is curved.

This is one of the pieces I covered. I tried my best to bend it and it wouldn't budge at all. I think it helps greatly to have that little fold-over on the edge.
PMBLuRE.jpg B266g3p.jpg
This is 5mm foam.

I'm pretty far into my own build at the moment, feel free to ask questions. I used 3/8 inch EVA foam, heatformed and then a hot glue gun for the riveting. I then coated in Epsilon, sanded down and primered (and then lots more sanding).

1545656_488404544614252_795648781_n.jpg

1003198_487425058045534_75323796_n.jpg

1509281_481321661989207_352616253_n.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions and help! Alyssa, I have been watching your progress on Facebook and can't wait to see the final result!

Sadly I've put this on the backburner again, as I'm currently focused on fixing up our bonus room (formerly the cat room/storage room) and turning it into a craft room. That should be done within the next few weeks, though, so hopefully I can start working on this armor soon. I already have the Worbla, which I'm going to try to use only on the top of some foam, as Talaaya suggested.

where did you get your chainmail shirt? Could you post a few completed photos? you really did a great job!!

(I'm really sorry to hijack, I can start another thread :( )

I haven't completed it yet but I'm pretty close now. I couldn't get on the arm straps by myself so this is what ya get for now:

1780900_492198274234879_1968255290_n.jpg

I have a shoot planned in mid-Feb and all the pieces will be on me at the time for that though. :) The chainmail shirt was purchased on ebay but in retrospect I probably just should have gotten an aluminum one even if it was 4x as expensive, because the steel is really really heavy.

Holy crap, Alyssa. It looks awesome!

Every time I look at the armor and try to plan it out, I get a little bit scared. It doesn't seem that difficult, but I've never made armor and it keeps intimidating me, lol.

~Amazing, I love the stuff you find here. Please please just start on the armour. Do the shoulder or anything, once youve made a start it'll get you motivated. Brienne is awesome, I hope she really comes out of herself, waiting for the day she crosses paths with the hound, whether they're against each other or together I hope it happens and I hope its eppic.
Season 4 coming out, winter is coming, DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would highly suggest not starting with the shoulder. The shoulder was a PITA and I redid it four times to get it right. Start with the leg pieces :)

Holy crap, Alyssa. It looks awesome!

Every time I look at the armor and try to plan it out, I get a little bit scared. It doesn't seem that difficult, but I've never made armor and it keeps intimidating me, lol.

Don't be intimidated, what is the worst that could happen? You make a mistake and learn something new? You can dooooo it!! :)

I'm still waiting on the photoshoot photos, but man this armor set was fun to stomp around in. :D Also I found Jaime on the Kingsroad!

Full body:
1920410_10152200509842440_1140785194_n.jpg

Side:
1902744_199045706972384_999991346_n.jpg

Closeup (really happy with the final paint job):
1654419_498625046925535_1454730143_n.jpg

Re: Brienne of Tarth armor build (Game of Thrones)

Changing this from a help thread to a build thread because I've officially decided to get this done for DragonCon 2014! :D

I wore the pink dress at C2E2 and battled it out with my boyfriend who so graciously wore the bear coat (and bear slippers). This duo got a good response and was a lot of fun to wear, and it helped convince me to get the armor done.

Here's a silly photo of us on the show floor:

C2E2_2014252 by MrJoseAlfredo, on Flickr

Obviously not Brienne but I feel like my current hair style and color make me look a lot more like Gwendoline Christie. Totally unintentional, but hey, nice perk! No wig needed!

Hopefully I will have some WIP photos soon. Maybe even this weekend? For the first time in ages, I've got the entire weekend free and can dedicate it solely to costuming!

Can't wait to see this when it's done, you make an absolutely amazing Brienne. You do look a lot like Gwendoline Christie.

Looking forward to seeing this progress. That looks like a ton of work -- and like a mighty warm, heavy outfit!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back