Tips, tricks and questions from a beginner

Carolus Rex

Hello!
I have been scouring these forums for half a year now, gathering intel and inspiration for the projects that has been brewing in my head for a couple of years. Time to climb out of the box and hopefully get some energy and tips to carry on :)

After a somewhat succesful attempt att making mysellf a head mould from plaster to begin my creations, and stocking up and testing various materials, I've stumpled upon a road-bump of sorts.

My plan, as of this moment anyway, is to make a pretty large "space-marine-ish" suit of armor and cloth, using the EVA foam and resin aproach, as that would seem to work pretty good with the thumbs in the middle of my hands :D

So, I would like to have some questions answered if possible. I have read most of the threads and watched hours of youtube guides, but these are a bit of a problem.

1. I would like some tips for making the base of a helmet in foam. In essence just a round ball with a faceplate that I can build the rest upon. I have a batch of clay on the way home, but I don't think my sculpting skills will be able to capture all the detail enough for a mould yet. (helmet style is of similar style to a Fallout powerarmor)
I have mostly access to 10mm EVA foam, wich will be pretty good for the rest of the armor anyway, but can't get the rounded dome of the head to form properly without large amounts of edges, gaps and weird angles.
Tips greatly appreciated before I loose my limited patience ^^ Maybe someone has a pep file for a "base helmet" or something.

2. Aside from sculpting clay, is there a "easy" way to build shapes? Say for example I've got a plain ol' bucket shaped shoulder plate, and want to build a 50mm edge from it. Will bondo hold for larger structures as well as polishing up surfaces, or will it become to heavy and/or brittle?

I guess that's it for now. This forum seems to be loaded with great people, so I'll probably ask alot of more questions during this project ^^

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back