Star Destroyer....18 years in the making.....

JediMichael

Master Member
With all the star destroyer threads, dediced actually last night to post my work.
After 18 years, andprobably going on 19, I feel its not even close to as good as some of you guys on here, but might as well also share my story.
So back when I was in 7th grade, 94-95 school year, I decided I wanted to make a Star Wars kind of movie with my Dads video camera. Built some ships out of legos, then deciced to make some out of cardboard. First started on an Imperial Shuttle (which I never finished) Then I started on the star destroyer...my little brother even made a smaller version too...
While I did actually get into filming later on and have done plently of greedscreen effects, I never made my movie back then....but I did contenue to work on the star destroyer. Year after year, I worked on it little at a time. When I started on it, I had only 2 pictures froma magazine and a pasued picture on the VHS tape. I didn't even know til years later there were 2 models used between ANH and ESB. Well, because of this, my shape, angles and much detail arn't even closed to the real deal. But its become my baby, which now I would hate to try and start over. In fact, I now have "finished" building on this model 2 times and am now adding more detail again. In 2007 I had to hurry up and get it done as possible to display at a small city convention, but was not at all happy with that "done" version. So now I will try and dig up all the photos I have saved on photobucket and hope they all post ok after the years. To be safe, going to try a test post in just a min. Thanks for anyone taking the time to read all this.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, so let me try and post a few pics. Been years since I have, forgot what part to copy.
If working, these are the only pics I have when I first started.

Last edited:
Looks like I got it figured out.

Heres some pictures from about 6 years ago. You can see I started with cardboard, then covered with posterboard, paper and other type materials. I wish I knew more on how a lot of you guys used plastic, and shaped it to what you need. I just have no idea how to do that type thing. Maybe I have to many learning disabiltys...they make learning things so very heard for me. But anyways.....

Problem with cardboard, it can warp so bad.

I know how it is to work on something for a long time, so for that fact alone I think you're Star Destroyer is awesome! I think it's even more so because you started with basic materials and made a great model from every day bits and pieces :)

Thanks.

Here it is on display at the City of Casselberry back in 2007 for a Star Wars event.

Then in 2009, I added more detail. (This gray was completely the wrong shade)

Well now,for the past month, I've been adding more detail, this time a WHOLE LOT more. And using real good photos of the real model.
However, found out my camera was stolen, so until I can get my hands on a camera, this is all I have.....hopefully soon more updates.

Great to see your initiative! You've ended up with an awesome model from basic materials and not so great reference. Now that's cool!

Thanks everyone.
I was able to get some pics, from my step-sons webcam, so there not very high quality, but they'll work for now.
But you can see the detail I'm now adding....and am not done yet.

Heres the guns on the sides. Supposed to be 4 per side, I can only fit 3. Also, 8 barrels per gun, mine has only 4. For the round base, I used pennys. Guess this is now worth 6 cents... Also, being a very symbolic person, I took the time to find pennys with the years, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, 2005. If anyone doesn't know why these dates, go jump in front of a train....or at least slip on a banana...or something....

Size comparison.

With the guns just sitting on it.

So just for the heck of it before going to bed and after working on this a little tonight, I want to say all the materials I've used.
As many as I can remember anyways...

Cardboard
Ductape (now only on the inside)
posterboard
paper
elmer's glue
super glue
toothpicks
match sticks
legos
knex
random toy pieces
Gundam Wing model
toilet paper tube (sized down for the 4 smaller engines)
big Easter eggs (for the 3 big engines)
Poster tubes
wires (from an old audio cord that stopped working-so I recycled it)
bouncy balls
nails
landing gear from a X-wing model
pennys
beads (which is to make childrens necklaces, but it worked for the guns on the sides)
And a few random pieces I got at a place called Sky Craft here in Orlando FL. Found enough things there that I might try and make a new imperial shuttle with random scraps as well....someday...

Pretty much it that I can think of anyways.

No pictures for now, but when I first started this, I thought of how to add the lights inside, but then gave up on the idea. My fiance asked what it would look like with some lights. So I put some Christmas lights in it and drilled a few small holes. But it didn't really look good. I think the cardboard is just to thick for the light to get through. Covered up the holes and she actually came up with a pretty good idea. We have a bottle of glow-in-the-dark paint.
So on test cardboard, I put tiny dots of paint, using the tip of a toothpick. Yeah, it has to get a charge in the light, but in the dark, looks great. Guess I should get a pic of that for now....or when I get a chance.
So after fully done and its all painted gray, I'll be adding tons of paint dots...instead of tons of small holes. Still time consuming.

This is true scratch building, and all the more impressive because you persevered over a long time. Well done and thanks for posting! :thumbsup

I have to admit, at first I wasn't sure I wanted to post this, as it just didn't seem good enough compared to some others models, but now I feel better. Thanks so much all. I really hope to get a better camera, even if it has to be after Christmas. But then I will for sure get the best possible pictures on here.

I have to admit, at first I wasn't sure I wanted to post this, as it just didn't seem good enough compared to some others models, but now I feel better. Thanks so much all. I really hope to get a better camera, even if it has to be after Christmas. But then I will for sure get the best possible pictures on here.

Are you frakin kidding? Scratch builds like this are super awesome. Member Athlanta(?) made a Stormtrooper helmet for $10 out of nothing........and it rocks!!!!!

As much as I appreciate the super accurate -find the exact model piece used on the original, this would get my vote for the judges choice award. Go! Go! Go!

Thank you so much. It is nice to hear something so nice. It pushes me to keep going and adding more and more to make it as detailed as I can get it while still being random parts. This model will probably never see the light of day, or at least be on display for many to see ever again. So this is as close as it will get.

Also,while I'm here, a small update.

As you can see in this older pic, the hanger bay is so messed up. The bottom left is much longer. I'm now trying to fix it best I can. For now,added some paper to even it out. I might try and cut part of the bottom part out and line it up better.

This pic still looks off, but it does look better in person. Much to do though. Started working on the arm that grabs ships they suck in. Mostly out of toothpicks.....so annoying to work with.

Heres more detail I added on this side. This was definally the filming side on the real model, as this side had a LOT of detail, while the other side not even close to as much. I made mine have pretty much equally amount.

Also, one pic I missed while it was on display, as well as a table I turned into the death star. Had to do that in one night, so it was rushed big time.

I've now been working on the hanger bay part. Never had made the arm claw thing in the past, so decided to do so. Sure was a pain in the butt. Kept super gluing my fingers together....ha.
My ref pics were from both models, and I ended up mixing the two. Toothpicks sure are hard to work with.

I also am fixing the messed up shape of the hanger. Having to build up the one edge.

Then made a new wall to cover the old one. Now properly aligned up.

I also decided to add the 2 smaller bay holes, or whatever they're called. Cutting it out from that angle was quite annoying as all I have is a box cutter.

Made a piece to go over that.

Heres what the hanger will look like now. So much better.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back