Daft Punk Thomas Build

Flapjack

Hi All,
I am new to the prop building world. That being said, I need a little advice/direction on my current and second build. I have the helmet fiber glassed already, but I wanted to get the visor done before I do any bondo work on the outside. I cut out the fiber glass section and started using it as a template piece for heat bending the plexiglass. This is where I need the help: I need suggestions on how to get a good and smooth looking bend to the plexiglass. So far I've tried clamping one end to the fiber glass template and bending it with a heat gun, but I am having trouble getting a smooth consistent bend (i.e. there are weird straight parts on the ends but a good bend in the middle). Here is a picture of the mask before I removed the lens template piece, sorry not to have pics of the plexiglass piece so far, I will upload them tomorrow once I remember to take some.
1118131825d.jpg

Update:
So I’ve managed to fix the plexiglass bending problem for the most part… My thought on the next step is to permanently mount the tinting to the plexiglass (put a test stripe on temporarily to make sure the darkness on outside and visibility on the inside were ok). After, I was considering tacking it in place with hot glue then fixing it with silicone caulk to keep it sturdy long-term. Here is were I am looking for advice though, if I put in place earlier, I can tape off the lens and fill in any gaps with the lens and mask with bondo giving a clean finish. The negatives could involve the tinting peeling away later when I go to remove tape, or just general issues with sanding and painting.
Here are some pictures of the progress so far:
1129131404a.jpg
1129131404.jpg
1129131406.jpg
1129131406a.jpg

Last edited:
Did some sanding yesterday on the top dome. Added some more bondo to fill in low spots and got the rest of the face covered with a bondo base layer. Going to sand some more tonight and fill in other low spots and hopefully be able to get a thin coat on the ears.

Fun Fact about this helmet, building it as a gift with the deadline being Dec. 14th, but I plan on mounting a pair of Skullcandy GI's that I cracked to the inside. I took them down to the basic speaker and face plate with the mounting brackets for the padding. I think this will be a cool addition, to be able to jam out with some pretty decent headphones when wearing it. Also, help hide the cord, I am mounting the 3.5mm headphone jack in the back-inside of the helmet so you can run a cord extender to it when you actually want to listen to music, otherwise it will remain unseen.

more sanding today. Focused on the ears mostly. nothing really to exciting to report. Working on re-wiring the headphones on the side. Once I actually get them sanded down and fitted for the inside I will snap a few pictures. Apologies for being lazy with pictures thus far, going off my jenky camera on my phone.

with regards to the bending:
cut out the plexiglass (sand the edges) and put it in a pre-heated oven (approx 150 degrees celsius). to be sure just put it on a baking tray so that the middle has possibilities to bend. after a few minutes you will see the plexiglass bend.... leave it for a few extra seconds to ensure it bends sufficiently. as soon as you get it out you'll have to bend it into shape over a moulding with the same curveature. apply pressure for a minute and your done!

with regards to applying it before bondo... not sure whether that will turn out good... a lot of room to scratch the surface. at least make sure you duc tape the front so it won't get scratch.

with regards to the ear pucks: there a some really nice, 3d printed, ear pucks from shapeaways. they really finish it off!

seems like you are on a tight deadline! I am already working on my Thomas for approx 6 months hahaha... good luck!!!

Whoo actually got my camera to work and send pictures to my computer (it's not a smartphone)
Here is a shot from the top, the rim still looks a little wonky to me. Going to touch it up a little more with bondo and try to round it out better tomorrow.
Y4MndIg.jpg

Shots of the side, the ears a still a little screwy. more Bondo and sanding tomorrow here to... well once again round it out.
eMUm71b.jpg

LFjJ09b.jpg

And one other picture
PCmjmnv.jpg

Sanded and patched in a few holes tonight then re-painted. Tomorrow I am looking to focus on the ears primarily to get a little better look (I sadly realize it will not be perfect by Saturday... but I can try). Goal is to get the ears to a good point and rest of pin holes finished and then primed in black. Thursday I am looking to get a coat or two of the chrome on and Friday do any final touch up work on the paint and then mount the headphones into the interior. For that part I am using Skullcandy G.I.'s which, with minimal sanding, fits pretty perfectly inside having the padding run run our about a 1/4 inch to help secure/cushion the helmet.

Pics
kTGtM2I.jpg

Ik1ZRBm.jpg

eErxU5J.jpg

iac9Yp0.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back