Alien Nostromo interior models

One other thing I did was to put different sections of the models together to see what effects I could create, and here are the ones that worked. The first one shows a T junction, which was hinted at in the movie but never seen. The second & third re-used bits of various previous passageway equipment in different ways, and was intended to show a junction with multiple passageways.

The gaps between sections are because these parts were never intended to go together, and I'll leave it to you guys to decide whether the effects work or not.

View extra 2.JPG View extra 3B.JPG View extra 3C.JPG

Last edited:
These last pictures show all the model sections with the roofs removed on the spare bed at Mom & Dads, so, I hope, you can see how the various sections were fitted together to create the various different areas of the Nostromo. Please feel free to comment.

View extra 4.jpeg View extra 5.jpeg View extra 6.jpegView extra 7.jpeg View extra 8.jpeg View extra 9.jpegView extra 10.jpeg

Last edited:
Andy, I'm getting errors in your last three posts.

It looks like the last five to me now I look again. This is ridiculous, I had to re-add all the previous pics before you first pointed it out too. I'll re-upload them but if it happens again, I think I'll just delete them all and leave. Only you and one other have commented, compared to several thousand for the other guy who had stuff specially made, so it seems there's little interest in what I've done.

Your thread has 385 views and it's only two days old - not bad.

You should be able to simply attach pics to your post without posting them in the body of the message, if that's easier...

I urge you to give the RPF a little time. If you're looking for help or tricks for sci-fi scale modeling, or replica props or costumes in general, there's a wealth of information here.

Don't be discouraged by the apparent silence - still waters run deep.

It may be that people like what they see but don't want to post a comment as devoid of content as, "Me too!"

Perhaps you've done something else in a sci-fi vein that would garner more replies?

-MJ

You should be able to simply attach pics to your post without posting them in the body of the message, if that's easier...

I urge you to give the RPF a little time. If you're looking for help or tricks for sci-fi scale modeling, or replica props or costumes in general, there's a wealth of information here.

It may be that people like what they see but don't want to post a comment as devoid of content as, "Me too!"

Perhaps you've done something else in a sci-fi vein that would garner more replies?

-MJ

Does it make a difference how they appear whether they are attached or posted in the body? And if so, how do you attach? I couldn't see any other way of adding pics.

I like your non-canon composite corridors, and the extra long corridor looks great.

Have you ever set these up at a con and let people look down the hallways?

Let me see if I can illustrate what I mean re: attached images.

If you don't see anything unusual, either I'm nuts, they've changed the way images post, or I've made a mistake.

-MJ

Attachments

• Bridge Exterior.jpg
    Bridge Exterior.jpg
    426 KB · Views: 630

-MJ

Maybe I was a little hasty. This is the first time I've joined such a website so maybe I should have more patience :)

I like your non-canon composite corridors, and the extra long corridor looks great.

Have you ever set these up at a con and let people look down the hallways?

Let me see if I can illustrate what I mean re: attached images.

If you don't see anything unusual, either I'm nuts, they've changed the way images post, or I've made a mistake.

-MJ

I can see your bridge image, which has the words 'attached thumbnails' over it, but how do you actually attach pics like that?

These models have never been out of Moms house since they were built so nobody has seen them in the flesh. I added the pics onto two Facebook pages, which generated a lot of interest and favourable comments, and a potential invite to show them at a fundraising exhibition in Coventry UK in the Spring, so if that comes off then people will able to view them and I can reconfigure them as required while people are there.

In my reply options, I go to Attachments: Manage Attachments, and upload my image to there. After that is uploaded, I simply click "Done." When I post, it shows up 'outside' the body of my post. That make sense?

-MJ

In my reply options, I go to Attachments: Manage Attachments, and upload my image to there. After that is uploaded, I simply click "Done." When I post, it shows up 'outside' the body of my post. That make sense?

-MJ

Yes it does, I've made a note of it for future reference, thanks Mike.

Great build Andy, looking at the pics with the roofs removed, you've used some pretty difficult materials.
Chipboard and the like would have been a pig to work with.
But you have done a wicked job.

Great build Andy, looking at the pics with the roofs removed, you've used some pretty difficult materials.
Chipboard and the like would have been a pig to work with.
But you have done a wicked job.

That's very kind of you to say so. I used chipboard for the bases because Dad had just finished making his railway layout & I manage to grab the spare pieces of it before he burned them! Fortunately it was relatively smooth, or I'd have had to go buy some timber. Considering they're now 30 years old, I think they've lasted well, though some detail bits have fallen off in a few places. The most difficult part was cutting the B Deck passageway supprts and the hatchways. They are hardboard and about 3mm thick & I broke several whilst cutting them out. The slotted walls of the C Deck passageways are cardboard and I had expected them to twist & warp, but I'm pleased they've stayed straight.

Please don't remove these and leave Andy! These are brilliant! (y)thumbsup
At the time you made them, the references would have been much less than we have available now and you have captured the look of the film exceptionally well. The models look like miniature film sets. Without seeing the overall models on the bed, I would have thought that the models were far more extensive. Your photography is none too shabby either!
Have you any other builds to show off here and make us all drool? Would love to see them.
Cheers and welcome to the RPF, what a grand entrance!

Thanks for your kind words Mr Rats. I was a bit hasty in my 'leaving' words, as this is the first such website I've been on, and as such I was obviously expecting too much too soon. I'm here to stay now :). Seeing them on the bed shows their true size yes, but putting the passage extensions on it does indeed make them look much more extensive, which is exactly the look I was trying to achieve. Had I had access to more baseboard material at the time I would have made longer passage sections to start with, but I also had to think of where they would be stored, and had I made them any bigger, it's probable they would not have survived.

You're right about references too, at the time I only had the movie to watch, I got the two books I mentioned previously over the next few years which, coupled with improving VHS & then DVD pausing capabilities, I was able to craft & add a lot of the detail pieces. This is why the hatchways are too wide as a lot of it was guesswork, but by then it would have destroyed a lot of the passageway sections had I tried to replace them with more accurate narrower ones. Guesswork is also responsible for the ladderway surrounds being a bit too high.

I was round at Moms yesterday sorting out some stuff for her in one of her wardrobes, and I came across some more passagway sections I had drawn but never cut out. I can't remember now what I had intended them for, so I think over the winter I'll see if I can invent another fictional area of the Nostromo & put the pics on here.

Thanks for sharing these pictures! I really admire the attention to detail, you've really captured the tone. And I especially like the overview shots of your models on the bed, I think that those kind of behind-the-scenes shots always tell the real story. Do you have any pictures of the build while in process? Let's see some more, if you have them.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back