The future of Toys R Us

I'm positive we had a children's palace around here for at least a while. I remember the one store had an isle for every franchise like Gi joe and transformers.

I used to work at toys r us back in the day. I was in charge of running and starting the red zone ( new video Game Center area) when it was 1st being put together. Only male allowed to work in there cause the head boss was a lady and didn't want guys mixing / messing with her girls. Needless to say I was too good not to be in there with my gaming skills and knowledge. Anyway it was a fun job and got to meet a lot of gaming reps that gave out nice stuff. Plus being able to buy 8 ps2 on the 1st day to sell off for a nice profit.

Oh the crazies people in toys r us are the hot wheel guys. We had to bring out brand new unopened boxes for them to go through to see if any new cars were in a box. It was madness and still can't believe they allowed them to do that. It mad for great people watching tho.

We had a children's place here also. Before it went out of business they had a killer deal. I think it was $10-20 for a cart. You could put as much stuff in your cart that could it fit. It was totaly fun yet crazy to see people fight over the littlest things.

Walmart is insane at 5-7am with the hotwheels collectors and the guys who come in with their ipads to buy up all the hard to find action figures and ebay them.

I just got a gig working at TRU and from what I can tell sales this year are significantly off.
It continues to amaze me that almost every place where I have worked over the past 30 years has been on the verge of bankruptcy.

As a kid I delivers a local newspaper called the Daily Register
In '84 I worked for a Burger King that closed.
several other restaurants and 2 gas stations.
A Hotel in Long Branch NJ
A record store in Shrewsbury NJ in 91
An electronics manufacturer
In 2001 I was 3 months gone from AT&T Lucent Technologies when their stock dropped from $90/share to $3.
A kitchen remodeling company attached to Home Depot
In 2009 I worked for a medical manufacturer in Utica NY that was discontinuing line after line of product after they began to get back product with insane defects.

Now I have a seasonal gig with TRU

It bothers me that my kids don't seem interested in action figures like I was when I was their age. They do like video games, but not to a great extent, and my wife and I certainly don't let them "veg out" in front of them for hours every day. They never ask to go to the toy store and if we skirt around the toy section at Wal-Mart, they don't really seem to notice.

I don't know what changed, I guess that's how it goes though. :(

i have friends with daughters who are into pokemon and my little pony so they're big on both the figures and games. Well part of it is these companies want 15.00 for an action figure these days so it's hard to get into them when you can't afford them.

It bothers me that my kids don't seem interested in action figures like I was when I was their age. They do like video games, but not to a great extent, and my wife and I certainly don't let them "veg out" in front of them for hours every day. They never ask to go to the toy store and if we skirt around the toy section at Wal-Mart, they don't really seem to notice.

I don't know what changed, I guess that's how it goes though. :(

What DO they do then?! I mean it's not like they have lots of business meetings and phone calls to make, so I can't imagine that they'd be able to fill up their entire day without adding in some gratuitous toy-based-fun. Hell, I have meetings and phone calls and I still make time for fun for fun's sake...my toys all just happened to be prop replicas anymore, though. :lol

-Nick

Well, they do other constructive things like reading and drawing...so I'm not complaining.

It's just that action figures played such a big part in my life, but like other generations, I guess there are things that are confined to that one generation.

I'm a total swap meet rat (motorcycle and classic bicycle stuff mostly) ..I had my daughter with me and she found some Littlest Pet Shop toys ..they are just plastic figures...go for about $6 each at the toy store

She asked if she could get one them with the money she had ($5)..she got 6 of them for $3 (first thing we do is take them home and scrub them) and has never asked to go to the toy store since. She begs to go to the swap meet though!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back