batman sculpt - Arkham Origins WIP

This is my first ever attempt at sculpting and i thought doing a bat cowl would be awesome so here is what i have so far, Im using water based clay for this sculpt, i've worked with it a little before in past but nothing as demanding as a cowl!
sculpt 212.JPGsculpt 218.JPGNew sculpt 001.JPGNew sculpt 002.JPGNew sculpt 003.JPGNew sculpt 004.JPGNew sculpt 005.JPGNew sculpt 006.JPGNew sculpt 007.JPGNew sculpt 008.JPG heres what i have so far, I dont really like the nose atm i think i may change the shape, This is still in its early stages however so please dont think this is the end result haha, i hope to have this sucker looking mean, smooth and symtrical ( As best as i can). Also one side of the face has more progress than the other haha.

Last edited:
Re: batman cowl sculpt - Arkham Origins-ish

I think it looks awesome for a start my friend I jus suggest smoothing out some of the face portion. I was wondering tho , did you make the mannequin head yourself? or is that a store bought head?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it looks awesome for a start my friend I jus suggest smoothing out some of the face portion. I was wondering tho , did you make the mannequin head yourself? or is that a store bought head?

hey buddy, yeah haha i will smooth the face out, i want to get it into a shape that i like and get both sides as similar as i can first, and the head is one i bought from Ebay, it was about £5, ive measured it and it seems to be very similar to my own, this was my only concern about buying it, making sure the measurements were decent !, i think its graded as a regular size. :)

Thank you so much. I'm rooting for u as well. I'm trying to make a cowl myself any advice for the sculpt I haven't sculpted anything since the 4th grade and was wondering if their is a secret behind the method.

Thank you so much. I'm rooting for u as well. I'm trying to make a cowl myself any advice for the sculpt I haven't sculpted anything since the 4th grade and was wondering if their is a secret behind the method.

haha thanks buddy ! What sort of clay will you be using for it ? the water based clay I'm using is very soft when its straight out of the bag so i just did a rough base covering all over the head, once its been exposed to the air for about 10 minutes depending on room temperature it will become stiffer but its still a very nice consistency to work with. When i have a break from it though I've covered it in a old t shirt thats pretty damp, put it under the tap and then rung it out, this just stops it cracking which is a downside to this sort of clay :/. Once you get into it though you realise how you can manipulate the clay and how to use your fingers to add and subtract from areas !

haha thanks buddy ! What sort of clay will you be using for it ? the water based clay I'm using is very soft when its straight out of the bag so i just did a rough base covering all over the head, once its been exposed to the air for about 10 minutes depending on room temperature it will become stiffer but its still a very nice consistency to work with. When i have a break from it though I've covered it in a old t shirt thats pretty damp, put it under the tap and then rung it out, this just stops it cracking which is a downside to this sort of clay :/. Once you get into it though you realise how you can manipulate the clay and how to use your fingers to add and subtract from areas !

Thanks for the pointers what are you using as a reference for sculpting ?

Sculpt Ref.jpgIm using this one, i really want to pull off this look as much as i can. Ive been smoothing off the facial part tonight as on this image it is really rounded. its gonna take me a while though to achieve this

update sculpt 2 001.JPGupdate sculpt 2 010.JPGupdate sculpt 2 016.JPGupdate sculpt 2 018.JPGupdate sculpt 2 012.JPGupdate sculpt 2 003.JPGupdate sculpt 2 006.JPGJust a slight update with a bit of tinkering ! need to make some features more subtle, straighten the nose out ( i seem to keep bending it by accident when im doing another part of the cowl :/,

Last edited:

I seriously hope I can be half as good as you at least on my first try at sculpting xD
great job so far!

I seriously hope I can be half as good as you at least on my first try at sculpting xD
great job so far!

Cheers buddy ! just take your time when your applying critical features and try build it up evenly ! you'll pick it up in no time !

Small update but i thought the nose was more Dark knight than arkham so ive re-done it haha, Ive straightened it out since these photos but my camera needs some new batteries ! enjoy !new nose 001.JPGnew nose 002.JPGnew nose 006.JPGnew nose 009.JPG

Last edited:

Made a bit more progress tonight, i took down a lot of the facial features like the brow, it was far to large and now i think its looking much more subtle, hope you guys think its okay ! :)
sculpt getting there 003.JPG sculpt getting there 008.JPGsculpt getting there 012.JPGsculpt getting there 016.JPG

Last edited:

Looking REALLY good! I'm going to be doing a TDK sculpt soon, I'll be happy if it goes half as good as this one.

Looking REALLY good! I'm going to be doing a TDK sculpt soon, I'll be happy if it goes half as good as this one.
Thanks my friend! Im sure it will turn out to be amazing my friend ! When i get some more clay i might do a dark knight cowl after this one, hopefully ! :)

Making decent progress on the smoothing out, i hate how flash makes every depression so intense but hey-ho. A photo without flash too! ive also straightened a few features out too since the photo. when i get to stage of casting i would really like a rubber or what ever to be quite tough and rigid but still flexible enough to squeeze over a head, Could anyone give me any pointers, ive been browsing around but somebody with experience giving me a pointer would be a massive help :) Cheers guys!
almost there smooth 004.JPG

almost there smooth 007.JPGalmost there smooth 003.JPG

Attachments

• smooth 021.JPG
    smooth 021.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 152
Last edited:

sculpt F stages 014.JPGsculpt F stages 015.JPGsculpt F stages 013.JPGsculpt F stages 008.JPG
Worked on the jaw because after studying more reference pics it wasn't right and took down the brow even more too. Just need to smooth them areas down too. Still looking for any casting materials if anyone could help ! :) enjoy

neck cowl 002.JPGneck cowl 008.JPGneck cowl 009.JPG
Started Working on the neck piece this weekend, only a few hours into so quite a bit more refining to do yet! Any pointers would be appreciated! Going to try get it all sorted for early January so I can cast it.

Re: batman cowl sculpt - Arkham Origins Update!

After sculpting the neck piece i left it with a poor amount of water, which was a bit foolish of me. But it did give an idea and it worked pretty well. this idea hit my in the early hours of the morning, hence why i look a little rough in these photos, but the light bulb was on....:facepalm
But what happened was the piece just split in half in the midde so i could take each half off the bust and put it onto my own neck, it fits pretty well, Suppose this is a good thing to come out of a mistake. Bit of info btw for anyone considering water clay, if you leave it exposed for long enough it becomes leather hard. .which is what mine has turned too. I have hydrated it since though, Let me know what you folks think ! :)
cowl neck break 007.JPGcowl neck break 014.JPGcowl neck break 006.JPG

Coming down to the home stretch, still looking great!
I'm molding my TDK cowl right now, and ended up going with the standard Vytaflex 40 from smooth-on. I've done some test casting with it, and am pleased with the results. It's got a very nice consistency, easy to work with, and stretches quite a bit, while remaining tough (in about a 1/4" piece, which is how thick I'm going to make my cowl). I'm still going to try Vytaflex 60 as well, hoping that might be a bit harder and more like a helmet, but the 40 should be quite comfortable to wear.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back