Oblivion Jack Harper's Pistol - Build Thread (Pic Heavy!)

Soulinertia

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So here is my build thread of the expertly cast OBLIVION pistol created by RPF members joatrash & Morganthirteen. If you haven't picked one up yet, I highly recommend you get over the the Junkyard and do so now. I had so much fun working on this one!

First, the finished result:

Mc75mQh.jpg

*7/8/17 - If your still seeing a bunch of missing pics, let me know and I'll try to get the rest transferred to imgur. F-U Photobucket!

And now, the build . . .

I knew right off the bat that I wanted to upgrade my pistol with working LEDs and enhance it with additional materials wherever possible.

I started by eliminating the resin buttons near the muzzle with a dremel and drilling new holes for some rubber buttons for a more tactile feel. It also appears to me that some versions of the screen used pistol have writing on these buttons. I can't make out what they say, but I thought these black ones from a Comcast remote would be perfect.

1.jpg

I also cannibalized an old broken digital camera I had lying around for it's buttons and some other parts you will see later on in the build.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

This particular button has a translucent insert, perfect for the LED light to shine through.

5.jpg

I wanted to replace the selector switch with an actual working one, but this proved to be more work than I was willing to commit to, so I just drilled out the core to replace it with a 6mm neodymium magnet and modified the edges of the switch with an x-acto blade to get it a bit more screen accurate.

7.jpg

8.jpg

For the other side I needed some lenses for the LEDs. I found the ends of these thumbtacks had just the right look.

9.jpg

11.jpg

I had to create a network of tunnels to wire everything together. This was a bit of a challenge.

12.jpg

13.jpg

I snagged a couple red LEDs from some old phone chargers.

14.jpg

Here they are wired up in series with a resistor.

15.jpg

It was a very tight fit.

16.jpg

Test fit with the button. I'll need to fill in around the cracks for light bleed.

17.jpg

All LEDs installed.

18.jpg

Light test w/lenses in place.

19.jpg

I decided the best place for the switch would be at the base of the grip so I drilled up through the bottom. Here you can see the modified push button switch I chose and the 12v A27 battery wired up pretty primitively w/electrical tape.

20.jpg

Here are some components I used for the button cover itself and the bezel. The button cover is from the digital camera and the bezel is just a part I found in my junk drawer.

21.jpg

22.jpg

Not screen accurate, but it was an acceptable solution in my book, and it works great!

23.jpg

From the side when not depressed.

24.jpg

Next I drilled out the bore.

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

I wanted this piece to look and feel like it was made of metal. And I wanted it to have a bit of a broken-in feel, kind of like in the movie. Not a brand new fresh from the factory type of look. I especially wanted to barrel to stand out with a particular shine. So I decided on some aluminum silver leaf and a Krylon silver pen. I'll get to the leafing in a bit, but before that marked all edges with the pen so it would show through the paint once I knocked it back down.

28.jpg

Here it is all marked up:

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Then it was on to the masking phase. I used some fine line tape for the edges and standard paint tape for the larger areas due to it's low tack quality. I probably could have gotten better results with some liquid frisket on the edges, but I didn't have any on hand and I was excited to get it painted.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

I went with some waterbased Liquitex spray paint. I had never used this stuff before, but I really liked the color selection they offered and I wanted something that I could knock down easily. It's some pretty high quality stuff. Better be at $12 a can! It is very fragile though, so be sure to use a sealer coat and proper primer if you decide to use this for any of your projects.

I used Neutral Grey 7 for the light gray and Neutral Grey 3 for the dark.

35.jpg

After hitting it with a couple coats of the 7:

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

Masked and prepped for the 3.

39.jpg

Taken after a fresh coat was just applied:

40.jpg

And shortly after the fun part, taking all the tape off!

41.jpg

Here it is on a white sheet of paper so you can get a better idea of the color:

42.jpg

I used my fingernail to rub off some of the paint along the edges and reveal the silver underneath. I didn't want it to look too beat up, just a little bit of wear and tear.

43.jpg

Now it's time to silverleaf! I started by painting the sizing on the areas I wanted the leaf to stick to.

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

Right after applying the first sheet:

47.jpg

And cleaning up with a dry brush.

48.jpg

49.jpg

SHINY!
16.gif

50.jpg

Now for the top

51.jpg

52.jpg

And after clean up

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

The silver is actually a bit too shiny for my tastes so I dulled it up a bit with some watered down paint. I tried watercolors at first, but it doesn't adhere to the aluminum at all, so I ended up using acrylic.

57.jpg

And now, finally the DECALS!

58.jpg

59.jpg

After initial application:

60.jpg

One last final touch. I added some real screws, again from my broken digital camera.

z20131105_231845.jpg

And here it is! I still need to add a clear top coat to affix the decals permanently. This will help hide any exposed edges of the clear carrier as well.

64b.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed!

I'll post some more detail shots of the finished product to show off the LEDs and decals tomorrow.

Feel free to post your own builds and processes in this thread if you like.

- Soulinertia/Fatal5150

Last edited:
Re: Oblivion Jack Harper's Pistol - Build Thread

Wow oh wow that looks great!!!! Superb job. I love the silver leafing, gonna have to try that on mine. Where'd you get the decals? That's all I need to finish mine!

Came out sweet thanks for the write up. Who got the decals so we can finish ours, thats what i have been waiting for also need them for the rifle as well.

I wonder if aluminium leaf (not as bright) would give the right look without the need to dull it a little.

Many craft suppliers carry it.

Wow oh wow that looks great!!!! Superb job. I love the silver leafing, gonna have to try that on mine. Where'd you get the decals? That's all I need to finish mine!

I'm drooling that looks so fantastic! dang I hope I can get mine somewhere close to that. I have to find a hose for my new air brush to start mine. one question please. looks like you painted the trigger too. Is that the same light gray?

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Where did you get the decals?

Came out sweet thanks for the write up. Who got the decals so we can finish ours, thats what i have been waiting for also need them for the rifle as well.

I'll be offering a small run of the decals. I'll put a FS thread up soon.

I'm drooling that looks so fantastic! dang I hope I can get mine somewhere close to that. I have to find a hose for my new air brush to start mine. one question please. looks like you painted the trigger too. Is that the same light gray?

I'd like to do a little airbrush work on mine as well before I mark this one completed. The trigger was painted dark gray with silver accents. I used a combination of the krylon pen and silver FolkArt acrylic paint.

This absolutely FANTASTIC work! I love seeing things like this come together. (Though now I have a lot of angst over not having finished my own build yet!)

The solution for the led lenses was very clever. For those that need them, the correct led lenses can be found here:
https://www.elfaelectronics.com/elfa3~ex_en/elfa/init.do?toc=20642&name=+Lenses+for+LEDs+

I'm sure there's a more local distributor if you're in the US but this is a good place to get them in Europe.

Amazing work and craftsmanship. Great tips as well innovative how to's from watching your step by step process thank you for sharing as well as the great eye candy photos. Truly a great piece indeed all around AWESOME!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back