Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - Edward Kenway cosplay project

Slimills

Hey guys, I am completely new to this site as well as cosplaying, however I attended the May London MCM Expo this year and I figured I'd give it a shot.

Was thinking of trying my luck at an Edward Kenway replica/style costume. I'm not too fussy about getting it perfect as my budget will not be huge.

I've got plenty of time to create this outfit as the next MCM Expo Comic Con is next May.

As stated previously, I have no experience with cosplaying or creating replica costumes. This is why I am here. So basically, any suggestions for materials, or just general tips would be extremely useful.

I have attached some pictures.

Cheers guys,

Slim.

Attachments

• aciv-black-flag-confirmed.jpg
    aciv-black-flag-confirmed.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 70,778
  • 857815_10151368238478068_622136071_o.jpg
    857815_10151368238478068_622136071_o.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 15,681
Well, I will be putting a bit of money away here and there, I'd like to say around £200 but this can change depending on my circumstances.

I've just started looking into this as well. Looks like the 4 flintlocks alone will cost upwards of $100 though.

At first I was thinking of advising you to take on a less complicated project seeing as how this is your first go at it, but then I changed my mind. If you feel good about the costume, go for it. You'll learn along the way, plus with all the techniques you're likely to find you're really interested in a particular field as well.
There is also the fact that I never take such advice myself, so I'd be a huge hypocrite if I tried it on someone else.;)

Material suggestions:
For the shirt I'd go with a soft cotton fabric. It's accurate to the period, most likely what they've used as reference and it will feel good to wear. If possible, avoid making it out of bedsheets. What you need is clothing cotton.
For the pants a heavier cotton fabric with a coarser texture would work well.

The blue fabric on the jacket/coat looks like dungaree, which is basically denim but dyed differently. The two fabrics share a the same weave though, which makes distinct diagonal lines in the finished fabric, which turns out is actually there in the original.
assassins_creed_4_black_flag-wide.jpg]edward-kenway.jpg
If you look closely you can see the lines on the lapel.
assassinpirate.jpg
In this image you can see some of the backside of his coattails, which show the diagonal lines even more clearly.
It bears a striking resemblance to denim fabric, but the contrast points towards the weft and warp threads having different colors, which is a staple of dungaree.
The white fabric seems to share this horizontal weave as well, but here I'd suggest a finely woven woolen fabric, especially for the
hood, because wool will fall much better than cotton.

The sash can be made from silk or similar. It looks very soft and flowing, so organza or a similar fabric could be good here. Make sure it's long and broad enough; it looks like it wraps around at least twice and has at least a few feet at each end hanging loose, and it's bunched up and not pulled super tight either, so make sure you have enough.

For the "leather vest"
parts I'd suggest you start looking around thrift stores for old, brown bomber jackets or leather coats. What you want is something very old and worn, with few pockets or seams, where the leather has the same basic rough texture and aging, but without being completely destroyed or brittle.(this will make working with it extremely difficult)
Search for thrift -and second hand stores in your area, they usually carry at least some of these as they are often tough as nails and last for many years after they start looking worn. Also look around for specific leather jacket second hand stores. They do exist and will carry a much larger variety, but could be priced both above and below the general thrift stores, so search for the right one and you will find something eventually.

With patience and persistence you should be able to find an affordable, good quality pre aged source of leather for your vest parts. What you will not find is a finished vest, so you will need to craft it from this (or these, if you find two with similar enough leather) material. It will take some work but can end up looking stunning, because it's the real deal.
A tip is to buy a huge jacket instead of one that fits. If you're going to cut material from it it might as well have plenty of it, and in my experience thrift stores seldom price larger jackets higher, so why risk running out? Use your common sense here though; if you're aiming to just modifying the jacket it might be easier with something that fits somewhat.
There is also a chance that some of the parts you pull off the jacket can serve as details elsewhere with some small modifications.

The vambracers (armguards) seem to be two layered, with softer leather (same as for the vest parts?) underneath and thicker, more tough leather over that. You can use parts of the jacket arms for the layer beneath and wet form raw hide or thick leather and stain it to make the above layer.
I'd also suggest you look up leatherworking, saddle stitching in particular. Especially for the thicker leather a sewing machine will never be able to do it, so it's hand stitching all the way.

Belts:Troll thrift stores until you find the right leather belts and then replace the buckles. These you can search for, make yourself, have cast in metal or 3d print. Unless they release some kind of kit I don't think it'd be possible to find the skull one or the bent ones, so I'd suggest making them or having them 3d printed.

Boots
Once again, thrift stores or ebay is probably your best bet. Start looking and you will find at least something. You need them to be about knee height to be able to turn them down and have them look right.
Tip: look up some Jack Sparrow costume threads and discussions, and see where they get their boots from.

Basic technique tips and tricks:

Press your seams.
After you've sewn a seam, be it to close off an edge or to sew two pieces together, by all that is good and just; iron it flat. It will look so much better when the whole thing is done. This is one of the very simplest and cheapest ways to enhance your costume. There are tons of advice on how to do it online, so I won't go into any more detail. Remember to do it after each wash as well.

Back your fabric if that is what it takes.
Backing is when you have a fabric with the right color, texture and pattern, but that is too light and/or flimsy so that it doesn't fall right. What you do then is that you "reinforce" the fabric with another layer beneath it, a backing fabric. This layer is never supposed to be seen or known, it should just make the garment hold the shape better or fall nicer.
Backing is used all the time in suits and coats. It's why they hold their shape and fall so nicely. If you took out the backing the surface fabric looks much less impressive. I've started to see this in hobby costuming some more as of late, but it's still largely left out, which is a shame because it can really make a costume seem much more real, which is ironic because it's really just cheating and faking having a fabric that isn't really there.
Think of it as the equivalent of how a stage magician fools you into believing that he's not using any specially made props or tricks or hidden trapdoors, but he actually is.
I don't really have any advice on exactly how to use this as I'm still a novice on the matter, but there are tutorials online and in sewing books (tailoring books that is, not hobby sewing project books).

Distress your costume

This costume in particular is very worn and lived in. If you make it and then leave it as it is it will look kind of wrong. There are tutorials for how to age and distress your costume online. In a little while I'm going to dedicate my own Sirius Black thread to how I experiment on that costume and what results I get, so that might be worth checking out when you get further along with this and I've uploaded some results.
Aside from that, experimenting with fabric patches and paints/coffee/dyes and different methods of distressing such as rasps and sandpaper will lead you towards the right path in time.

Wear it a lot
It will shape itself and soften it so that it looks worn, and you will discover if stuff needs modifying before you wear it in public. It will also make you accustomed to any quirks that might come with it, and you will look much more at home in it than if you put it on just before showing it off.

About the budget; I don't think you'll be able to buy the props (multiple guns and swords) in great quality without going beyond that amount just for them. However, with some time and patience you should be able to get most if not all of the materials for the costume itself with some cash to spare. Admittedly this also depends on where you live and some lucky hits here and there, but you get the idea.

The guns could be completely homemade if you're willing to tinker with papier machier, glue, primer and paint as well as lots and lots of cutting and shaping wooden blocks, but that last part will be really messy. The materials for this are pretty cheap and easy to come by, it's the work that will make you want to puke.

Hopefully this does not come off as too disorienting or front loaded. I just started up a post and kept typing until I ran out of stuff, so it might be a bit jumbled.

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find the hobby interesting and fun.

Last edited:
The pants, hood, and long waistcoat are definitely linen. It's really obvious in the game and in the picture of the crew on the ship. The shirt could be a cotton, it's thinner than any linen I've found, and the shorter waistcoat is debatable. I thought maybe a cotton canvas for a while, but the color match to the long waistcoat is so perfect that you'd be better off using the exact same fabric than trying to find a color match.

The leather armor all appears to be goatskin to me, the arms are a different color from the body.

Wow, first of all, thank you very much for this reply, I was not expecting such a response so quickly. The information you've given me is absolutely fantastic and has definitely inspired me to see the project through :)

I will definitely look at all the suggestions you have given me here especially the detailed material suggestions.

The aspect which worries me the most is the creation of the hood and the white and denim "coattails"; I believe these features will either make or break an Assassin's Creed cosplay. Is it just a case of cutting and sewing the materials? I will certainly play around with various materials, assuming money is not an issue.

As far as the leather parts are concerned I will look into the suggestions you have made. However, I know leather to be an expensive material and will be taking caution as to not spend too much on these parts alone, if worst comes to worst I have been informed that Pleather (artificial leather) makes a good replacement at much less of a wallet-buster.

Concerning the weapons, I was considering making them however again I have no expertise in this field, and simply purchasing a look-alike would be too expensive or (if made from cheaper materials) would not look the part, so I will have to give that a good think. I was also thinking of buying a replica 'Black Flag' hidden blade which I found on eBay a few days ago.

Thanks again for the info, really appreciated.

You need to reinforce the hood somehow, too - maybe hide some wires in it. In the CG movies we cheat a LOT to get that silhouette, with a normal hood you'll never get that look.

(BUMP) - Started to purchase a few bits and bobs. Acquired leather that's suitable for armguards and purchased leather waistcoat. Looking into various fabrics to be used as the blue and white parts in the robes and hood.

After reading Risu's post I admit that my point of a wool hood mostly stems from the other games, which were set in much different times and locations so the materials made sense. In the Caribbean seafaring setting, maybe not so much.
The denim/dungaree idea is mostly because I found it to look very similar and it matches historical dates. Not much else going for it there:)

If you haven't already you could play the game and see what it looks like in engine.
I haven't personally played it so I can't really comment on it, but like Risu said it might be much more obvious when the character is actually moving.
Do keep in mind though that fabric is really difficult to animate and simulate in real time, and they might have taken liberties with it to avoid bogging down the engine. Thus in-game animation might not be the best representation of what material it is.

The aspect which worries me the most is the creation of the hood and the white and denim "coattails"; I believe these features will either make or break an Assassin's Creed cosplay. Is it just a case of cutting and sewing the materials? I will certainly play around with various materials, assuming money is not an issue.

I think you are right in the notion that both the hood and the "coattails" are important details. They seem to have been present in some form throughout the series (not really sure since I'm no connoisseur of the series) and they've become familiar parts of the costume.
In a way it is just cutting and sewing, but it's one of those things that is at the same time very simple and very difficult.

Coattails: The white "tips" at the center would be most easy to add on top of the blue material. That way the double layer makes it more willing to stay in shape, and you don't have to deal with fitting the edges of two pieces together.
I don't really have a good way of writing how to do this. The simplest way to explain it is if you look at the back view and make the coat with all blue fabric. Then add a layer of white fabric on top of the blue at the edge, and close of the seams on either side (where the white fabric and the blue fabric meet) by folding it in and sewing it down with the outside up so that you can see what you're doing.

Hood: It seems to be made out of 3 pieces. The two side pieces seem to be a very simple pattern of a quarter circle each, sewn together at the top where the curve is, and then they've added what looks like a somewhat lopsided diamond shape at the back to broaden it some more.
At first I thought that was it, and that would mean that the side pieces were somewhat curved at the bottom, but I believe that there is one or a pair of pieces that the top 3 are sewn to. I can't find a good reference from the front, but the concept art showing the back shows what looks like a seam between the diamond shape and the shoulder pieces. This would be more easily made if the shoulder pieces were separate from the side pieces as well, so that this seam goes all the way to the front.
This is confusing just to write and probably incomprehensible to read. I'll get you some reference images with arrows or something.

The actual sewing of the hood should not be too difficult. The top seam and the back seams with the diamond looks like the pieces were just sewn together back to back, then the seam was pressed flat with an iron to either side and then the edges were sewn down. I've found that this makes the seam much less rigid and it makes the piece look better when finished.
The front of the hood looks like it's either lined with a strip of the same fabric, overturned and sewn down or it's lined all the way inside with the same fabric.

Concerning reinforcing the hood I'll have to disagree with vargatom somewhat. It is completely possible to get the triangular shape without any hidden wires, at least in real life. It all comes down to what cut and fabric you use, as well as how you treat it afterwards.
Several years ago I made a cloak in heavy wool and I wanted that shape, so I planned on fitting metal wire into the edge to shape it, but the hood stayed in that shape no matter what I did without the wire.
The only way to make it not look like that was for it to be crushed for days under something while it dried, but if it was ironed and put back on it resumed the same triangular shape again.
Sadly, since then I've removed the hood from the cloak because a hat was warmer, but I still have the pieces (the fabric was expensive) so I can see if I can put it together again to show how it looked.
What's important to note though is that this was made out of heavy wool, which falls different to cotton or linen. It might be necessary to hide wires or back the hood with heavier fabric or the same fabric if you make your hood out of those materials, as they're much lighter and don't hold themselves down the same way. It's also important that you wash and iron your piece a couple of times to limber it up, because this mechanically softens the fabric and removes any chemicals that keeps it stiff and shiny. The ironing is important to remove creases, as light cotton and linen isn't heavy enough to pull these straight by their weight alone, and creases can hold fabric up in weird ways, kind of like origami folding or corrugated iron makes those mediums more stiff.

Also remember to wash your fabric before cutting or sewing, so that the finished piece won't shrink on you. That's not fun.
Before washing it you should zig zag the edges of the fabric to eliminate any fraying that might occur.

Pleather can work well, but keep in mind that it's an artificial material and as such does not respond to weathering, shaping or coloring the same way real leather does. It does have the advantage of a cheap price though.

Concerning the weapons, I was considering making them however again I have no expertise in this field, and simply purchasing a look-alike would be too expensive or (if made from cheaper materials) would not look the part, so I will have to give that a good think. I was also thinking of buying a replica 'Black Flag' hidden blade which I found on eBay a few days ago.

Weapons: What tools and how durable of a work area do you have available?
The hidden blade is most likely best purchased, at least if you want it functional. Not saying that it's impossible to make, just that the project alone is enough to last months. I'm always really impressed when I see people make an accurate replica that's actually functional.

I've never tried to do a sword realistically or with that kind of detail though.
This could be of interest to you. Forge a Paper Sword

If you want it even smoother you could cover it in paper clay and sand it, or add gesso (kind of like a mix of glue, filler and white paint) which can be wet sanded to the point where it looks and feels like porcelain. Venetian masks are often covered in it.
I do believe there are recipes for it, and it's more of an issue of keeping at it and working with it until it looks good rather than pure skill, so you don't really have to worry about being to inexperienced.
A paper sword would not hold up for dueling though, so keep that in mind.

For the pistols, I've given it some thought. There are some variations of ways you could make these with pretty simple and cheap tools and materials, but it will cost you time and some hard work to get them looking really good.
These different ways share materials, but they alternate somewhat in how the end result is achieved.

First the wooden stock
Tools: Drill with the right diameter bit, coping saw, rasp, file, sandpaper.
Material: Thick wooden board, wood varnish, linseed oil?
Sketch out the profile with some room to spare at the top, then bore a hole with the diameter of the barrel in the right spot.
After that you saw the profile out with a coping saw and then go to town with the rasp to shape the piece. Make sure to use gloves as a rasp will easily turn on you and take your skin off if you slip. Take it from someone with experience in the matter.
After the general shape is there you move onto a file to smooth out the teeth marks left by the rasp. After that you sand it to smooth it out. Paint with vanish and maybe oil it with linseed oil.
This way of doing it is probably close to how the real thing would've been made back in the day. It takes some effort and manual labor to get there but it does not require any powertools, although a power drill does make it much easier to get the hole without a sore back.
You do need some kind of workshop for this though, because this will leave a lot of wood dust and other stuff that you don't want in your living room.

If you have no area to use as a workshop you could make it with expanding foam or styrofoam and then cut and sand it down, cover it in paper clay, filler or spackle and then paint wood texture on it. The downside to this is the wood grain that you get for free (minus all the work and sore hands that is) when you make it from actual wood, and the finished piece might feel somewhat light, but this could be a plus when you consider that you're going to wear it.

For the metal parts you could start with cardboard models for the complex parts, wooden dowels for the small pipe under the stock and pvc piping for the barrel, which you then reinforce and build from with paper mache and paper clay to get the right shapes. When the general shapes are there you have some options:

1.Add details with thin cardboard cut into profiles, and then paper mache over it to make it more uniform.
2.Add details with relief paint.
3.Cover the whole thing in a thin layer of paper clay and then push the lowered sections in with a thick, blunt needle, dowel rod or similar. Keep the clay moist and workable by spraying water on it occasionally.
4.Mix and mash the above techniques.

To avoid making the same thing twice you could then make a mold of it and cast it in resin, or if you're up to it, pewter.
If you go with the second option you'll need to get a lot of pewter which might be costly, but with some patina it could look amazing, especially if you decide to make the stock out of wood. It will be rather heavy to carry though, but that would be pretty accurate.

I'll try to illustrate the more abstract ideas.
Just tell me if anything is unclear and I'll add that to the illustrations.

OK, very interesting. Yes, that explanation of the hood will be very useful when the time comes, I will keep that in mind. At some point I am going to have to borrow a sewing machine as for some strange reason my family does not own one; no way can I hand stitch all of this.

Sewing
I have indeed played the game, the AC franchise is definitely my favorite. I'm also currently studying Video Game Modelling/Animation so I know what you mean about the material being different in the actual game compared to real life, I'm going to have to do plenty of research on the materials to ensure they fall the correct way once worn.

Also, a few questions regarding the robes... I noticed that there are two 'layers' of blue fabric on the rear of the robe and was wondering what the best method is to create this look? I was thinking simply sewing a second piece of blue fabric over the top of the main structural piece.

As far as cutting the fabric... do you have any tips on which methods are best when cutting the fabric? For example once a line is cut in the material, will that said edge need 'zig zagging'? (I'm assuming that term means literally closing up an edge to prevent fraying and tearing?)

Leather

When it comes to working with leather would riveting pieces together be the most effective method to create the armguards and the leather shoulder pads, or is it some kind of sewing/stitching? And a similar method to attach the shoulder pads/armguards to the robes? Luckily, my sister has a toolbox dedicated to leather working and has a couple of feet of spare, English leather (very nice quality!), although I'm going to have to ensure it is not too thick as it was previously used to make dog collars, but I'm sure there are ways of softening the leather.

Tools/Woodwork
The facilities/tools I have aren't too bad, my dad has a workshop with a workbench I can use and plenty of tools laying around, although I am as inexperienced with woodwork as I am with sewing and needle-craft (which explains why I am not so familiar with some of the terminology you have used to explain some of the processes), however assuming I put enough dedication into it it should not be a problem.

Weapons

I stand by what I said previously; weapons will be completed last as they are much less priority in my opinion. But saying that I feel it would enhance the costume and I would indeed love to have them to accompany it.

The steps you have given me regarding the flintlocks at first look very overwhelming, but that is to be expected as it is my first cosplay... there is a first for everything and I will learn as I progress with the costume.

Progress...
I have already begun to research and purchase a few things for it... so far I have been sketching dissected parts of the outfit just to get me familiar with the costume as a whole which in turn should make my production process much simpler/straightforward. I have also purchased the shirt which is worn underneath everything else, I spotted a perfect baggy pirate shirt on eBay and just had to grab it. I have also bid on a leather waistcoat however I'm unsure this will completely suffice as it is too short in length... but I was thinking of adding bits of leather to the ends of it (this could go very badly and look a mess!)

I think I've covered everything that was on my mind... thanks for the reply again, really is a great help indeed!

Slimills, the two layers are actually two different garments, which after checking the in-game model again (and contrary to the artwork) are made from different fabrics that are different colors. In total, Edward wears:

Shirt: Very thin white fabric based on the wrinkles and cuffs. Could be cotton, but linen would be more common as cotton was still fairly expensive at the time (although not for much longer). In the parts of the game where he isn't wearing everything on top of it, it has a somewhat ornate lacing at the neck.

Pants: White heavy linen. They have a trim running down the outseam, looks like a grey or beige stripes with roped edges. Should be drop fly, but one piece of artwork I saw makes it look like a faced button fly. They're a little longer than the average pair of pirate pants and look like they tighten at the legs with a cord instead of buttons or a buckle.

Boots

Long assassin's waistcoat/tabbards: The are made from a denim blue linen with a white linen trim and the extra piece of the back sections. All you can really see of this is the tails and a little bit at the neck.

Doublet: This looks to me like a blue/teal and white linen canvas doublet. This is the part that has the trim on the front and the small lapels, and is slightly longer in the back than the front. I say linen canvas because different shots of it look like canvas and twill, but I've seen a good number of photos of canvas fabric that give the illusion of a twill weave from certain distances. The way it frays matches linen better than cotton.

Sash: Red linen or raw silk.

Leather body armor: The shoulder pads are attached to the vest part, which has tabs on the front and a pieced out back, a lot like some modern tactical vests. It's all made out of 2-3 oz. goatskin and sewn together like a garment, it's not tooling leather.

Leather arm guards: The bracers, elbow pads, and arm guards are all thinner goatskin, 1-2 oz., slightly darker than the body armor. Also sewn.

Hood: Looks a lot like the same heavy linen as the pants. Much easier than most of the previous hoods, with just three pieces in it's construction (not including the neckline). You can use a wire to shape the opening, but if you pattern it just right you shouldn't need it. Patterning hoods is a real pain.

Leather work: The weapons rig is pretty complex, and being a leather worker I'd probably just get too technical and go on and on if I tried to describe it. It's pretty much the most visible part of the costume, though. Two custom buckles, unfortunately.

I've put a lot of time into Ubisoft costumes, and they either have VERY talented artists that just know how every kind of fabric and leather looks, OR they actually make a hero costume and let the artists look at it for reference. The way the fabrics drape and how all the leather work fits together is too perfect. For example the beak shaped hood on Altair's robes. That's not just art, if you pattern out that hood and sew it together the fabric actually conforms to that beak shape.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback Risu, much appreciated. Your knowledge on leather could be very useful to me as i have no expertise in working with it.

Although I have purchased a leather waistcoat to use in the costume, I'm now starting to think it was the wrong decision as I have studied it closer to find that it is quite different to the one I bought online. So.. I may actually end up crafting the leather vest. Do you have any tips on how I can go about doing this i.e. how much leather I will need in measurement (approximately)? Is goatskin the best choice for this particular piece? And do you have any websites you can recommend to purchase the leather from? Any help on this would be great.

Cheers

I found another full length HD reference picture.

Edward_Render.png

This image does show brown pants though. Does he change garments a lot in the game? I haven't played it myself and might have missed some crucial info here.
The hood also seems a lot thicker from this angle. Maybe it's supposed to be double layered?
Remember to hit "show image", as the original is much bigger than the thread allows for.

Looking at this new image I concur with Risu; the tabbards/long coat is different than the short doublet/waistcoat. The tabbard tails also seem to jump around in how heavy they are, but that's probably not intentional.
You could make the full garment without too much hassle. It will need some basic fitting to avoid a lot of excess fabric inside the other layers though, but with linen it shouldn't be too hard. It also does not seem to have sleeves which makes it much easier to make.

If you want to make as few layers as possible I'd advice you to instead make the coattails attached to the shorter layered doublet, as the later is much more sturdy and is worn above the former.

On sewing; zigzagging refers to sewing with a zigzag seam at the edges to close them up, just like you thought. Generally, the lighter and more loosely woven a fabric is the easier it is to unravel, so you zigzag the edges to keep it consistent and strong. That way you don't run the risk of ruining seams because the fabric gave out.
Heavier fabric or ones that are very tightly woven sometimes don't need this. For this project, using linen and cotton fabrics it would probably be a good idea to zigzag.

You're completely right in prioritizing the costume before the weapons. It's the costume that's the recognizable part, the weapons are just nice props, and given how much work they could potentially be it's a good call not to hinge the entire project on them.
On that process, it's pretty daunting when you look at it, but this is not unique to newcomers. A prop of this complexity is pretty much built in small iterations which are each not that difficult or taxing, but together they can become really difficult to power through. It's like stairs with a thousand steps; each one is not that big of a challenge but together they're heavy to climb.

You can start with the custom buckles, which also have squiggly decorations. That way you'll get some experience with whatever materials you choose for it, and don't have to go into making the pistols without any previous knowledge.

I agree with Risu that the Ubisoft artists must either have some personal experience, or they have some costuming work to reference.

Also, you could always use the leather waistcoat you bought as a building block. Look at how the pieces of the waistcoat would have to be altered to look like the one you want, and then make original pieces from those sketches. It can also be helpful as a measurements guide. If it fits perfect then it has the right basic measurements, if it doesn't then you can alter it until you have the correct fit and then move onto your fresh material with that knowledge.

It might end up being a very helpful purchase. Hopefully it didn't cost you too much.

Yes that image is very helpful due to its quality.

As far as the pants go, I haven't really given them much thought yet as I presumed they'd be the most basic feature of the project, however upon looking into it more I have now realised that they could potentially be tricky to find or make (depending on how accurate I want them to be when finished).

"If you want to make as few layers as possible I'd advice you to instead make the coattails attached to the shorter layered doublet, as the later is much more sturdy and is worn above the former."

- I am most definitely going to take your advice on this one, I too think it would be wise to simply attach the coattails to the doublet and perhaps make them out of a thinner material? At first I was thinking of making it one piece, however I think two would work better and would be easier to create individually.

About the waistcoat... It wasn't too expensive actually (around £15) so i'm not too worried about it, and your advice on using it as a building block was very useful. However, I have also considered purchasing spare leather and basically extending the pre-bought waistcoat to make it look more authentic, I would also modify it in other ways to make it look like the one Edward is wearing (i.e. adding small leather straps, removing buttons etc). I could also dye the 'extra' leather the same colour as the bought waistcoat to ensure it doesn't look out of place. What are your thoughts on this?

If, on the other hand, I DID decide to make a new, longer waistcoat from scratch, it would be very expensive; I've done some research on goatskin and it seems to average at about £15 per sq/ft and I would realistically need 3-4 sq/ft for the entire waistcoat (give or take), plus the leather to create the shoulders, arm covers and vambracers.

I have found a good pattern/diagram on DeviantArt for the waistcoat and it looks simple enough to create (I have leather working tools that I can borrow from my sister, which includes rivet tools and a leather cutter).

AC IV: Edward Kenway basic leather coat pattern by kisusie on deviantART

For now the leather can wait and I think my next step is to begin work on the doublet/robes/coattails. This is because it's the next layer up from the shirt (which I already have) and it would be wise to work my way up from there. So before I go anywhere, could I have a double check on the materials I would need for the non-leather parts? So far I've had multiple suggestions but it seems various kinds of Linen have been mentioned a lot.

So far it seems like the Doublet and the coattails will be a thicker canvas linen (blue and white) and the tabard will be a thinner linen (worn out light blue colour). Pants (AKA trousers where I'm from :p ) from a heavy linen or as close to this as possible and finally the sash from a raw silk.

Thanks

Well, the coattails do seem to be thinner and more wispy, for lock of a better word. I was sure I had made a linen undergarment that was similar to these tabbards, if only I could find them.

For that price the waistcoat isn't too much of a problem, especially if you can find some immediate use for it.
Personally I would most likely opt to craft the waistcoat instead of lengthening the old one. Color matching the old leather with the new could be really difficult and it probably runs the risk of looking like different pieces instead of one whole.
I'm no authority on the specifics of leather dyes though, so I could be speaking too soon.

Like you said, the cost of new crafting leather is pretty brutal, and I'm strongly advising against you spend that much on materials for this. There are some good lower price options though, but what they spare you in cash you might have to make up for in patience and work.

You could go with a hybrid of modding and making it from scratch; use the bought waistcoat, strip it of all things that stick out like buttons and pockets and add the necessary pieces. However, instead of trying to make the different pieces look the same you cover the whole thing in pleather, using the waistcoat and added pieces as reinforcing backing and as a pattern guide. Depending on brand pleather is pretty thin, so you'd avoid the problem of it not holding the shape very well and the finished piece will not look oddly thick.
You'd have to take care and do a lot of sneaky stuff at the edges though, to hide the underlying layer.
I did a quick search and the price of pleather makes it a hard argument. I found a pretty good candidate for 10 dollars per yard, 54 inches wide. That's less than a twelfth of the price of real goatskin.

If you'd really like working with the real deal I'd give my previous suggestion once again; search vintage and second hand stores for old leather jackets. Depending on condition and what store you could easily get a lot of usable leather much cheaper than if you bought it new. This does require you spend some time searching and cutting the old jacket though.

It's great that you found a pattern. That should take a lot of trial and error out of the process.
Also good that you have tools for the job. I've used an exacto knife since I started, which works but doesn't really hold up to the real deal.

It's also probably a good idea to start with the fabric, as it's easier to work with and will help build up steam for when it's time to tackle the leahterworking.

Material rundown: A lot of linen is the general verdict it seems. I'm really tired right now and in no state to offer any kind of final advice on this. I'll try to find that garment I was talking about tomorrow. It's linen and looks pretty close to the lower coattails in this last image, so you can decide if it's right for you, which is what it's all about really.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. My camera eats batteries at an alarming rate, and I lost my steam when it closed down on me.

So I found the garment I was talking about. It's a long kind of shirt that I made to be worn underneath thicker clothing. It was inspired by late medieval patterning and various fantasy sources. I set up some lights and an old bedsheet to try to capture it better, but my poor camera work might have mitigated the effect somewhat.

It was made out of linen that wasn't very heavy or light, just kind of standard. It did have some differentiation between the threads though, which gave it a texture from the start. Often times modern fabrics are a bit too perfect which can make them look weird in costumes that are supposed to use historical materials.

Here it is straight out of the closet.
IMG_8087 (Custom).jpgIMG_8132 (Custom).jpg

And this is after I ironed it. I didn't iron the sleeves as they are not what's important here.
IMG_8446 (Custom).jpgIMG_8364 (Custom).jpg

Ironing can make a big difference in how a fabric falls and moves, and linen has a tendency to wrinkle.
When I compare it to the last image of Kenway I think that the tabbards could be made out of this kind of material, but it will need ironing to look right.
The edges of his costume and this one are not finished the same either. This is finished by wrapping a piece of the same fabric around the edge, and his seems to be folded over and reinforced on just the backside.

Here's the lower end in focus and a closeup of the fabric, to give you a fell of what it looks like.
IMG_8460 (Custom).jpgIMG_8100 (Custom).jpg

What you should be aware of is that the fabric did not look or fall like this directly from the store.
At this point I've run it through the washer and tumble drier at least 7 or 8 times, some times before sewing it together, some times after. Between these washes I ironed it and wore it. This was to remove any stiffening chemicals left from the manufacturing, to soften it mechanically and to remove the "gloss" that's often present in brand new fabric.
I also sandpapered especially exposed edges and seams and the yoke part to rough up the surface more and give it a more worn and "fuzzy" texture. Further I've darkened it some by dipping it in dark brown dye, to make it less vibrant. This is only really apparent when you compare it to the original fabric, but it does make a difference in perception.

Beyond that I wore it for 3 hours a day for 2 weeks before using it for real for the first time, and I've since been using it for at least 3 weeks for its intended purpose, which is as clothing in week-long outdoor larps. I've washed it by hand both during and between these sessions, and mended it by hand stitching patches of the same fabric where it's broken (these patches aren't visible here.)

I don't really remember how much fabric this took to make but I remember that I used pretty much every last scrap of fabric there was, since that was the way the lower classes used to make their clothes. The fabric wasn't expensive so I think the cost landed at something like 35 dollars. The real cost was the hours of work in making it look right.

It wasn't really difficult to make at all. What makes this thing look good is the ironed seams, the finished edges, the repeated washing and drying, ironing, sanding and wearing, which are all basic techniques that aren't really difficult either.

The only part that can be at all tricky is matching the sleeve to the shoulder seam, but I made it work just by trial and error.
If you make something similar without the sleeves (as Kenways costume doesn't seem to have them) it becomes much quicker and easier. It shouldn't give you any problems as long as you take it slow and don't rush things.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back