Styrene/Foam Iron Man Mk 7 WIP (PIC HEAVY)

KACosplayTech

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi! So as this title points out, I will be making a Mk 7 iron man suit. I will be taking my time and trying to do my best foam work, as the deadline for this is next year. Ive been making costumes since 2007 and I was only about 10 years old. I am now 16, in High school, and have developed some pretty good techniques. I am a long time lurker here and usually don't post build threads, but I thought, what better way to encourage me than other people telling me how to improve!

The files I am using are Darkside501st's and they can be found HERE
I understand that he is making version 2 files, and I wish I was on that list for early testers. As for now, I will be modifying his v1 files to make them somewhat more accurate.

I have currently made the lower forearm, the hand plate, and part of the glove (I used the modified one in Darkside501st's post)

Pics:
The forearm and handplate are made with 1/2 inch floor mats while the palm is made with 6 mm
Forearm
dsc_0050.jpg
Attempted to make this flip up
dsc_0053.jpg
The size is a little tight, so I put some Velcro underneath to make it seem seamless
dsc_0055.jpg
dsc_0056.jpg
The handplate and gauntlet are attached together already, to make it more accurate to some of the pictures ive seen
dsc_0057.jpg
simply added a small hinge so it doesn't hinder my wrist
dsc_0058.jpg
I plan on finding a small silly sting can and finding a way to make it shoot from the gauntlet so I can be entertaining at some football games as we usually have a costume theme each year. I am using foam board as the hinges right now, and I plan on replacing it with metal later. It isn't as important as of now.
dsc_0059.jpg
The Palm was so tedious to make. I only printed the pieces on the outside and I made my own to go between the parts (if that makes any sense)
dsc_0051.jpg
I used 6 mm foam for the palm, and I trimmed some of the edges at the top so my fingers can have more freedom
dsc_0052.jpg
just barely slides onto my hand so I don't need to create a separation point
dsc_0060.jpg
dsc_0061.jpg
The handplate restricts me from going all the way up to a 90 degree angle with my wrist, but I really don't mind
dsc_0064.jpg
dsc_0066.jpg

All this is as of now, prototyping, I may not use these pieces as I know the v2 files will be coming soon, but They help me understand where the moving pieces are and where I should be careful when im cutting the pieces out. Will update soon!

Questions, comments, criticisms, and tips are all welcome!

Last edited:
Re: Foam Iron Man Mk 7 WIP (PIC HEAVY)

Well, update to this amazingly slow progress!
I began to make the helmet, and instead of using foam, I'm using styrene.. and Im pretty sure I love this material.
Before the pictures, ill have to thank ColKel for posting THIS. I've followed his tutorial and its a little sloppy, but its working. Hoping the Tamiya putty works well.
Pics!
n7r1fnh.jpg
pyJFeUE.jpg
TvcRSHy.jpg
grTltG5.jpg
a4Sbasx.jpg
Q84Wr9d.jpg
QC3qs4U.jpg

I use clamps to hold the stressed points and allow each part to dry for 2 hours, so its a time staking process. With school, and sports, I have gotten all this done within a week. Ill update once the two are ready to be put together!

Alright, so not much of an update, but I wanted to elaborate on the steps I take to attach pieces that are under a lot of stress when the clamps are being used on another piece.
The awnser? Tape.
4kKoD7R.jpg
Mge9Tal.jpg

The tape holds the pieces together pretty well while I can add pieces to the back of the styrene piece. To get the view of the piece so far, I just taped it together temporarily, Im pretty satisfied with my first attempt at styrene!

bTZjyvu.jpg

The tape is under a lot of stress, so I may need to use the clamps when I attach the two.

AMEhBhU.jpg

Update! So, I finished putting together the faceplate, but I completely forgot to sand it before I began to apply Tamiya putty. So, theres a crap ton of putty and I ended up sanding it all down just so I can apply more putty. I know. rookie mistake. My fault for testing it on the front most piece. Hope I can salvage it. But I began work on the jaw, and it is really the easiest piece. I only had to do one layer and I feel it is sturdy enough already. I may support it with squares behind it, but not another build. A big tip I can give people who are trying styrene, USE SUPPORTS WHEN GLUING THE PIECES. It keeps it at the shape the supports are holding it, and its not a hassle later. I had to do that with my faceplate because the two "teeth" pieces were too close together.

So pictures:
WKDvNiR.jpg

Face plate with Tamiya basic type putty

RkbXu7O.jpg
755FXLW.jpg

Jaw, inside and outside

qrWdkgj.jpg

I can really see it coming together! Ill have more updates by next week!

Soo... update. after a year or something lol

y7Lmbnm.jpg

sorry for the selfie style photo, i originally sent it as a snapchat to a friend, hence the low quality, ill get more photos tomorrow after school. upper body is pretty much done, now to start on the legs. Any advice?

What thickness styrene did you use. I'm in the process of trying to build a styrene mark 7, but I'm not sure whether or not to go with .040 or .020.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back