Anyone got their movie replicas seized by Customs?

GF

Sr Member
How many here got their movie replica props seized by Customs? I'm not talking about replica firearms, knives or Sci Fi movie weapons, I'm talking about costumes, helmets, masks, model kits ect...

How do you have your expensive props shipped (DECLARED) to avoid Customs problems, like value, name of item ect....? do you actually put name of movie or character on package or something generic? example instead of Superman or Spiderman costume you put "halloween costume" or "spandex costume"

I know as a fact that any unlicensed items can be seized by Customs and to not attract attention it's best to put a realistic value, lets say you don't want to put full value to save some duty fees at least put something that seems realstic to a non prop collector, BTW putting a "GIFT" is a big NO NO and the worst, they are not stupid and actually draws even more attention which you will need to prove it was really a gift, now lets say I buy a expensive prop which most of them know didly squat what is really worth, example I pay $1000 for a Chewbacca mask but ask to put value at only $200 to most non prop collector this seems like a credible price, on the other hand lets say you get a lifesize Ironman $3500 and have it decalred at $350 well that will look kinda fishy dot you think? but then again if putting actual $3500 value will it draw more attention than lets say $1200? I was lucky enough to never have a item seized in my many years of prop collecting and just wanted to know other people experiences.

Gerardo

Last edited:
Replica's are fine as long it's not replica's of firearms.

As for duty fee's, it depends. In Canada they charge whatever they want. Iv had fee's of 5% up to 150%... yupp completely mental and all over the place (but usually it's 30-40%).

Last edited:
Huuum not sure about that, if you import unlicensed movie replicas, example Spiderman or Superman, Walt Disney costumes Customs have the right to seize package to protect the license holders, it's a fact it happened to a friend of mine but he was shipping to the USA and got seized by US Customs, he thought package was lost so he contacted Fedex and they found out that package was held at US border, so he called US Customs to see what the problem was and US Customs asked him if he had license to import these in the USA he didn't of course and they seized package, also I read a guy here got his Superman costume seized in his country.

Gerardo

US customs? You are talking about Canada aren't you?

Also ill be damn if customs can tell the difference between a licensed prop and one that isn't.

The only problem importing in Canada that iv had and heard of are replica of firearms.

For both Canada and USA, don't Customs mostly operate the same way? But yes for me it would be Canada since I buy most of my prop in USA and Overseas

Gerardo

US customs? You are talking about Canada aren't you?

Also ill be damn if customs can tell the difference between a licensed prop and one that isn't.

The only problem importing in Canada that iv had and heard of are replica of firearms.
You would be shocked how many sellers don't use their brain and under "description" in the customs form, they write:
"Replica superman suit"....or...."fake Rolex watch"...or..."replica prop gun".

I always try to write: "toy"...or..."Halloween toy"...or..."Halloween costume" etc...
They usually don't think twice when you put it that way.

For both Canada and USA, don't Customs mostly operate the same way? But yes for me it would be Canada since I buy most of my prop in USA and Overseas

Gerardo

No, very different. Just because something happen with US customs doesn't mean it will with Canadian customs.

Canadians could wish their customs were the same as US though... nearly no duty fee's, no problem with airsoft and replica firearms or even no wait time.

You would be shocked how many sellers don't use their brain and under "description" in the customs form, they write:
"Replica superman suit"....or...."fake Rolex watch"...or..."replica prop gun".

I always try to write: "toy"...or..."Halloween toy"...or..."Halloween costume" etc...
They usually don't think twice when you put it that way.

Replica/Fake triggers an alarm in custom because it's illegal to buy a replica rolex. So those kinds of words do trigger alarms for who ever is checking it.

So having a package with 'replica superman cape' could be a pass or a block, but 'replica rolex' is a block and a nasty fine (i got a buddy that go caught and it wasn't pretty).

That's why you only buy from smart sellers :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back