Doctor Who - John Hurt version

Ahhhh, ok, that is very helpful to know, thank you! Definitely post photos of your updated War Doctor, I'd love to see.

Those are the cheap halloween spats you can find on amazon. The snap/button looking things are just decoration. There is a full strip of velcro up each side and the material is basically felt. Not the greatest quality and I've got my good ones done out of leather now with buttons that are proper. I only used the cheap ones one night. They worked but are far from proper.

ab32c6cdfad6517b13ef99c4c2c0bec7.jpg
here's the final when I went to Eucon in November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOW gunnerjohn you look simply fantastic! These photos really show the aces weathering job you did on your jacket, was that just rubbing alcohol? Or some sandpaper too? It looks rich and just amazing!! Great job!

I'm currently making the vest and I ordered a vintage leather jacket off eBay that's set to come in next week, so weathering it properly will be the next big task after conquering sewing velvet. (Much more troublesome than I had planned on!)

Thanks again for sharing your photos, that's a really beautiful War Doctor!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my vest, still have to finish the lining and do the buttonholes and buttons. I modified Simplicity 2895 adding width to the front and length to the collar to make it double-breasted. The flash made the color really glow in this photo but IRL the shade is a gorgeous muted copper, to my eye a darn close match to the screen version. It was so close in the fabric store, that I ignored the fact it was STRETCH velvet, which made sewing this super tricky, only resolved by interfacing the whole thing. So it's a touch stiffer than I'd like, but at least it kept the shape.

Next: gaiters!

IMG_20161207_211412.jpg

Here's my vest, still have to finish the lining and do the buttonholes and buttons. I modified Simplicity 2895 adding width to the front and length to the collar to make it double-breasted. The flash made the color really glow in this photo but IRL the shade is a gorgeous muted copper, to my eye a darn close match to the screen version. It was so close in the fabric store, that I ignored the fact it was STRETCH velvet, which made sewing this super tricky, only resolved by interfacing the whole thing. So it's a touch stiffer than I'd like, but at least it kept the shape.

Next: gaiters!

View attachment 688965
I found upholstery velvet that was super close. It's a little heavier duty but I'd rather it not wear out too easy. The stretchy fabric could be nice if you are moving around a bunch. Looks great

Progress: Made the gaiters! I used this free pattern at Simplicity.com as the basic shape on which to base my draft, adding length and straps and re-sizing for a man's shoe. I'm pretty happy with them except for the color. Having spent most of this costume's budget on the Magnoli bandolier, I used a yard of cheap olive green canvas I bought from a sort of dodgy deep discount fabric store. I think this fabric had an unadvertised polyester content because I could not get it to dye any darker than this, despite 15 minutes in both a RIT dark green and a RIT dark brown dye bath.

Oh well, my Christmas deadline is upon me and this will have to do for now. Any tips for getting these darker? Spray paint? Motor oil? (kidding. sort of.)

IMG_20161217_165047.jpg

Next: weathering the leather jacket ...

Progress: Made the gaiters! I used this free pattern at Simplicity.com as the basic shape on which to base my draft, adding length and straps and re-sizing for a man's shoe. I'm pretty happy with them except for the color. Having spent most of this costume's budget on the Magnoli bandolier, I used a yard of cheap olive green canvas I bought from a sort of dodgy deep discount fabric store. I think this fabric had an unadvertised polyester content because I could not get it to dye any darker than this, despite 15 minutes in both a RIT dark green and a RIT dark brown dye bath.

Oh well, my Christmas deadline is upon me and this will have to do for now. Any tips for getting these darker? Spray paint? Motor oil? (kidding. sort of.)

View attachment 691358

Next: weathering the leather jacket ...
I used acrylic paints of these colors: matte black, matte brown and matte creamy tan (best guess on the color) to make a dirty earth look. My gaiters are made of pig skin and were really light colored when I began. The matte acrylic dries and then you can crumble them up and give them the distressed look since the acrylic will check and flake if put on heavy enough. Remember to wait for them to dry completely otherwise they won't distress.

@Zeppo the fabric spray-paint worked great but just not quite dark enough and I ran out of time, but in the end I don't think it mattered: the costume was a massive hit when it was discovered under the tree at Christmas! Thanks to this wonderful thread for all the help and inspiration and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone! DSC_0360.JPG

NEEDING URGENT HELP - What buttons have you guys found for the gaiters? Any links to online sources (I live in the UK, so no US stores like Joanns/Michaels etc)

Speaking of buttons, has anybody had any luck with the waistcoat buttons? They seem like they'd be easy to track down with key words, but I've been trying for a few weeks and haven't found anything.

Speaking of buttons, has anybody had any luck with the waistcoat buttons? They seem like they'd be easy to track down with key words, but I've been trying for a few weeks and haven't found anything.
I had a horrible time locating waistcoat buttons (as have many others that I've chatted with). No one that I've talked to have found matches for the original. The assumption was that the costumer prop dude from the BBC either had the only ones in existence or he made the ones used. From the high res pics of the waistcoat in Cardiff, it appears that there are actually two patterns on similar old school buttons. I used vintage (really old) czech glass buttons that actually resemble tardis windows so they don't match the originals but go with the Whovian theme. I'll post close up pictures of those for reference. The other button change is that his leather coat has actually three different front buttons. One navy anchor (peacoat) button, one flat black button with a single metallic fitting in the center and beat up leather knotted buttons. The flat black button is a pain to find but look for bakelite ones in that style. That's what I found. I almost used a wood one and painted it glossy black. I'll post pics of those styles too.

I didn't know about the anchor button, do you have a clear shot of the original? The odd button on the lower right of the coat is commonly called a 'pin shank button', I've done a costume breakdown on my blog that may be of some help:

http://the-doctors-wardrobe.blogspot.co.uk

In terms of waistcoat buttons I think it's unlikely they'll ever be found at this point, though would love to be proven wrong. The closest one could realistically get is to get some plain 15mm brass dome buttons and have the designs engraved onto them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back