Doctor Who - John Hurt version

I disagree. I haven't seen anything definitive proving they were leather. Based soley on what I can see in the pictures I think they are a heavy felted wool like the style used in WWI uniforms. They don't have to be military btw. If they were indeed manufactured for the show it would also work for being wool. Wool is easy to work with and sew and if you had a wool coat lying around you could easily cut a pair of gaiters from it. Once I get mine sorted I'll post up a picture.
best of luck.... will be neat to see your efforts....

Moving away from gaiters, have to say that if you want a cheap alternative for the scarf then look no further than here: Harris Tweed wool scarf. Red and brown herringbone | eBay
If you keep checking back, they have a red and white one that they do. Mine came through yesterday and all I can say is that it's ticked my boxes. Once it's been 'roughed' up and aged with Dirty Down, for £14.99, I'm a happy camper.
scarf.jpg

Bit late in reporting this, but finally finished my costume. Made my début a couple of weeks back at the Sheffield Comic-con.

The highlight of my brief time there was being stopped and interviewed by a group of Doctor Who fans. I answered their questions in character and thanked them. As they moved away, I was right by where Paul McGann was signing, he looked at me, smiled, tipped his head in acknowledgement and said,"Hallo Doctor!". Day made! :D

Sheffield_con.jpg

Sheffield_con.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bit late in reporting this, but finally finished my costume. Made my début a couple of weeks back at the Sheffield Comic-con.

The highlight of my brief time there was being stopped and interviewed by a group of Doctor Who fans. I answered their questions in character and thanked them. As they moved away, I was right by where Paul McGann was signing, he looked at me, smiled, tipped his head in acknowledgement and said,"Hallo Doctor!". Day made! :D

View attachment 375023
flipping awesome.... looks great, Nice to be authenticated by your predecessor...lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Our War Doctor Bandolier is almost finished:

1-without-stitching_zpsc62b0b92.jpg

It's hard to see in this photo but we even managed to get that subtle dimpling on the brass plates.

Last edited:
I had a look at your site and found it very interesting, thank you for the information on the Legion Etrangere button. Also, it turns out we're both using exactly the same buttons for our waistcoats, I'll put some pictures up of mine once it's complete. Here is a close up of the original taken by thorneyboy:

Another small detail is that the coat's lining has a very colourful design, although I believe the sleeves use a dirty white lining. Here's a rough mock up I put together:

Ooh, interesting - there is some pattern to those waistcoat buttons.
Think I had an old hand engraver somewhere... I wonder where it is ?

Hadn't thought about the coat lining - *sigh* another detail to look into :)

Yours,
TonyWilk

Agreed, they are some of the best spats I’ve seen so far.

I actually found something out about the waistcoat that seems obvious now but somehow went completely over my head. Turns out it has 12 buttons in a 6x2 layout, I always assumed it had 10 buttons like Magnoli's replica.

Hi all, great site, just joined and my first post here.

I have been following this post for a while, as I am also making a War Doctor costume up, and have been struggling to find the bits I need, and still missing several bits for the full costume.

I used to work in a costume department for a TV & Film unit for nearly 10years, now I work for museums, recreating full historically correct costumes for display.

So I would like to add a few things to this thread, I hope you don't mind and it may just help others out.

With a walk on character, the costume is often just thrown together out of what is in the wardrobe collection. Little is made up, or even altered due to the lack of time/money. So safety pins and duct tape are used instead of a needle and thread.

The more important or regular the character, the more tailored the costume. Even several copies of the exact same item of clothing is made up, in case of it getting damaged or it getting dirty through the filming.

I noticed with the Christopher Eccleston Dr Who leather jacket, it changed colour several times, Black, Brown and dark Navy Blue and I don't think this was just the lighting effects, more a wardrobe continuity issue. As it was the first re-make Dr Who season, probably the costume / wardrobe budget was just to low.

We have all seen those continuity mistakes in films and TVs, neck ties that change colour, or become undone, tied-up mid scene etc.

Then as soon as David Tennant took over, and the success was recognised of the series, the budget fitted the costume requirements.

Now moving on to John Hurts appearance, there are a few things that poke me in the eye.

The gaiters look like plain leather to me, not suede. I feel that they may be old buttoned 'Dress' gaiters from something like a Highland Guard dress/formal uniform. Originally they would of been white leather but have been turned, reversed or even taken apart and re-stitched so the inside 'undressed' leather face is showing and not the patent leather side. They have also been dyed with, well I think, Pat37 Blanko. Well that's the idea I am going with for my costume anyway.

To an experienced costume designer and/or wardrobe seamstress, it would not have been a major job to remodel these gaiters, or they may have been left over from another film.

Also just because something is used in filming, as say a scarf, it doesn't mean it actually was a scarf to begin with. In this case I know from experience that just about anything could of been used, from a cut up tea-towel, a sleeve off an old dress or a length of old fabric brought on the day from a charity shop All just to add that missing something to the costume, the look wanted, or just to the whim of the filming director.

The waistcoat is a 'shawl-collar' double breasted waistcoat, possibly a Favourbrook or Tagliatore? Crushed Velvet, with I think 10x brass dress buttons, with mother of pearl and guilt trim. (I will have to go to Cardiff to see the original). If it is 12 buttons, the top or bottom two are just for show.

The leather jacket is not technically a true Peacoat. John Hurt's has no breast pocket, the Peacoat hip pockets are wrong (as John Hurt's has no flaps on the pockets, and they are slanted pockets on his). It looks more like a mid 70s 'Hunters' 3/4 length jacket. So it could be a Harrington, a Barracuda, a Sheerings or a Barnstormer Peacoat 'style' copy. All these have slanted pockets on the hips, no breast pocket and a tartan lining.

The nearest I have found was an Stratojac 1970s 3/4 length jacket, and with the belt & belt loops, epaulettes and the button down cuff bands removed. All I have to do is age it and dye it down a few shades and change the buttons to 'Monkey Fists' and it's good to go.

The main problem with doing costumes for TV and Films is, buttons! They fall of, come off or just disappear with no reason. Buttons are the curse of all costumers, and often any old button of a similar look is used to replace the missing button or buttons. We carried boxes and boxes of buttons when on location, just because of the button issues. The main characters costumes would of had tones of spare buttons to use, but the walk on characters, well, any 'near enough is good enough' button would get used. Matching that, with a homemade costume, is nearly impossible.

The War Doctor was a 'walk' on part, any future appearances will, no doubt, see his costume change and/or improve.

As a foot note, the last production I worked on was going to be just a 4 part period drama. It turned in to a 38 episode series, and the costume budget alone went from £20k to over £300k!! So I for one am looking forward to seeing more of John Hurt's version of the Doctor.

All the best John

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back