Doctor Who - John Hurt version

Yes, we only discovered this AFTER our prototype was finished! So anyone who orders one of these now will receive it with lapels.

Got the new prototype scarf finished and very happy with it!

extra-image-1521.jpg

These type of gaiters / leggings in one form or another have been used at least since the 1700's, if not earlier. These style in particular look to me much like Napoleonic style, even though they've been used up until WWII. They very much are like the WWII canvas US style other than, as you said, with the buttons rather than laces. I am still not decided on the material myself. I have a pattern for them and will probably go with canvas but by these photos (and I've been going over them a LOT) it's still tough to tell.

A seller on eBay, they do Napoleonic reenactor patterns, having done reenacting one form or another for years, that was my first costuming experience. it would need a lot of tweeking. 1812 Knee High Gaiters Sewing Pattern | eBay
Luckily the company I work for also has an Army Surplus store "division" and they carry the Magnum boots.

Last edited:
$_12.JPGThe buttons themselves aren't all matching, all appear to be brass, similar to WWII British used, but maybe smaller and some appear to be French 'militaires' style

Last edited:
I've come to the independent conclusion that the gaiters are wool. I got a bit of wool to do a prototype with a canvas lining.

Having a go at the costume myself, was also stumped about the gaiter material. However, as I'm pretty sure they were custom made by the costume department, I think I've found a pretty good material for mine. Its basically a British Army canvas tent bag. The added beauty of these is that they are well and truly worn in and aged wonderfully! Couldn't believe my luck also at finding a pretty damn close shirt (buttons have been changed from this photo) in a charity shop.
Tent_bag.jpgTent_bag_cloth2.jpg

Attachments

• Shirt.jpg
    Shirt.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 260
Having a go at the costume myself, was also stumped about the gaiter material. However, as I'm pretty sure they were custom made by the costume department, I think I've found a pretty good material for mine. Its basically a British Army canvas tent bag. The added beauty of these is that they are well and truly worn in and aged wonderfully! Couldn't believe my luck also at finding a pretty damn close shirt (buttons have been changed from this photo) in a charity shop.
View attachment 337965View attachment 337966
your canvass will look great... I'd tend to agree that the Production's were in-house creations...

Last edited:
John Hurts are Leather or Leather like...
I disagree. I haven't seen anything definitive proving they were leather. Based soley on what I can see in the pictures I think they are a heavy felted wool like the style used in WWI uniforms. They don't have to be military btw. If they were indeed manufactured for the show it would also work for being wool. Wool is easy to work with and sew and if you had a wool coat lying around you could easily cut a pair of gaiters from it. Once I get mine sorted I'll post up a picture.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back