How to keep Wed clay workable?

Sinkatze

Hello, I wanted to ask anyone who knows about wed clay, how to keep it workable?
I have just started getting into sculpting and mask making and I am making a sculpture of Spawn, I am using Monster clay for the details, but noticed after a while it is getting really hard to work on because its too hard. How can I make it soft again?

Here a pic of how I have it right now.

IMG_14631_zps44e81d9f.jpg

IMG_14621_zpsabaa4abe.jpg

Thanks!

Isn't WED clay water based? I've never used it, but from what I've read, you always want to keep a damp cloth over water based clays.

I use oil clay and when it cools too much and becomes harder, I just take a heat gun to it at a low temperature or place it in a warm area for an hour or two.

To keep WED clay workable, I just spray it down with water when I'm done sculpting for the day, and then either add damp cloths on top of that, or wet paper towels. Once the whole sculpt is covered with either the cloths or paper towels, I put a plastic grocery bag on top of it. Keeps the moisture trapped. I like to work under a halogen light when I'm blocking out with monster clay. Keeps it nice and pliable. Once you get to the fine details you'll want your clay to be firm.

Thanks a lot, yeah that's exactly what I did, I covered it with paper towels, sparyed them with water and covered with a plastic bag sealing the open with an elastic. I'll see later how its looking, hopefully its a bit softer because yesterday it was hard to work with.

Ok. Sorry I was confused. That is actually an oil based clay, and not WED clay. Wrapping it in wet cloths won't do anything to that. To keep oil clay soft you need to keep it warm. Like working under a lamp. Sorry for the confusion man. Sculpt is looking good though.

Ok. Sorry I was confused. That is actually an oil based clay, and not WED clay. Wrapping it in wet cloths won't do anything to that. To keep oil clay soft you need to keep it warm. Like working under a lamp. Sorry for the confusion man. Sculpt is looking good though.

Yeah its Monster Clay, which is oil/wax based. Now I understand why the water wasn't really doing anything lol.
Since I am using the clay over a dry pottery clay I guess this makes it cold and hard faster to.. Can I stick a hair dryer on low over he parts I need to work on to make softer or will that ruin it?

Thanks, I haven't really got into the details yet, but I wanted to shape a little to see what it would look like heh, I also want to make a quick latex cover just to test the size and see if I have to make it bigger or not before I go into too much details.

Kinds hard with the light as I don't have much at the moment, hopefully I can try getting something to work before it gets ruined.

Thanks!

The hair dryer will definitely work. Keep us updated on the project. I always love to see Spawn builds.

Thanks! Yea I am recording everything to make a video at the end, that way I can see how to improve.
I am currently making the mask, but in the future when I get a bit more experience and money I plan to make the full suit, so if you have any reference pictures or anything I would appreciate it. Its the suit from the movie by the way.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back