Captain America Winter Soldier - SUPER SOLDIER VARIANT

bushybrush

UPDATES:

captest1.jpg

Supplies list:
Amazon.com: BBTac M757 Black Airsoft Spring Pistol 150 FPS Spring with Molded Ergonomic Hand Grips Airsoft Gun by BBTac®: Sports & Outdoors
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00158OOBC/ref=oh_details_o05_s01_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon.com: Mens G.I Style Jungle Boots Black - NICE! (9 M US): Shoes
Amazon.com: Tactical Cross Draw Shoulder Holster--BLACK: Sports & Outdoors
Dockers® Alpha Khaki, Slim Cargo - Pembroke - Dockers (Got these at JCP on clearance)
Under Armour Size YLG Navy ColdGear Compression Long Sleeve Mock Neck Shirt | eBay (Got at Dick's on clearance)

Iron on transfer paper: Inkjet Iron-On Transfer Paper 3 Pack for Dark Fabric at HSN.com (At Hobby Lobby - thanks to drakeprimeone for the info)
Images for Iron on Transfer attached: I DID NOT MAKE THE IMAGE. I only edited it for use for the project. Please thank the original creator labeled on the original image: http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE..._cop_symbol_wp_by_chaomanceromega-d54qwur.png

-----------------------------------------------------

Hi, all!

Me and the hubby are gearing up for CA:WS release next year. I'm going to do a budget Black Widow build, and we'll be doing a modified Super Soldier variant that is used in the films.

Here is my thought: we're going to go with the $20.00 plastic mask (which we already own). I'll mod it to be the correct color.

The shirt however poses an interesting challenge.

I'm liking the look of the under armor in navy. I'm thinking about painting it or screen printing on the design. If I paint, I'll use the freezer paper (wax paper) stenciling method.

I'm concerned about the stretchy nature of the shirt as well as the synthetic fibers resisting paint. Does anyone have experience with under armor painting?

Some have said it turned out well, others say it's like a black hole for paint - it just disappears.

P.S. As a random geek side note, I'm strictly against any romantic interests between Cap and Widow. ;) That is NOT my favorite pairing.

P.S.S. Can someone PLEASE create a "black widow" tag? I was hunting for info for her here, and when I tried to tag it as such, it says I cannot create tags. But there is no other suggestion popping up. Grr.

Attachments

• cap02.jpg
    cap02.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,120
  • SteveRogersSupersoldier.jpg
    SteveRogersSupersoldier.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 2,221
  • underarmor.jpg
    underarmor.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 314
  • stripes.jpg
    stripes.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 226
  • star.jpg
    star.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 394
  • steve_rogers_top_cop_symbol2.jpg
    steve_rogers_top_cop_symbol2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,116
Last edited by a moderator:
There is a company on ebay that sell embrioded captain America badges, instead of painting the stars on you could just sew them on and make the stripes out of material.

Okay, well, I tried using the wax paper stenciling method. It totally didn't stick AT ALL to the under armor. GAH.

Less than a month to get this done, and I'm going crazy. Have everything else I need, except this dang logo.

Hesitant to use patches or sew other material on because 1) I can't sew and 2) the under armor is quite stretchy, so whatever gets sewn on would need to have the same movement.

Ideas? I was thinking a masking tape stencil instead of the wax paper...

Okay, well, I tried using the wax paper stenciling method. It totally didn't stick AT ALL to the under armor. GAH.

Less than a month to get this done, and I'm going crazy. Have everything else I need, except this dang logo.

Hesitant to use patches or sew other material on because 1) I can't sew and 2) the under armor is quite stretchy, so whatever gets sewn on would need to have the same movement.

Ideas? I was thinking a masking tape stencil instead of the wax paper...

Are you talking about the iron on "printing paper" you can get at hobby stores? I've used them before and seemed to adhere just fine.

This is what I used, I found them at Hobby Lobby. Usually you print images directly on to them and cut it out much like you would have done with that wax paper. I traced out the stars and cut them out. Cap's star was white so I didn't need to actually "print" the star on. I made the outfits below for my wife and I for a running event. Our clothes were dry fit or compression type material and it stretched well with the clothes.
Inkjet Iron-On Transfer Paper 3 Pack for Dark Fabric at HSN.com

iron on 1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg

Oh wow! I was just at Hobby Lobby today and saw that stuff but wondered if it would work. I'll definitely try that!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The only caveat is the largest sheets they will have is 8 1/2 x 11 so all your patterns will have to fit within that parameter if you want it in one piece. Also if you elect to iron on the sheet without any color be careful how long you apply the heat.. too long and the transfer paper starts to become translucent. The way I did the gold stars on my wife's pants were to spray paint the entire sheet gold first, then cut out the stars.
You use wax paper to iron on the decals but I had to be very careful not to overheat the decals as spray paint will bubble.
Testing your technique on some scrap fabric is advised.

Good luck with your build!

Amazing, Bushybrush. You and I are thinking along exactly the same lines. I prefer the comic book stealth suit more than the version in the upcoming movie, though I like what they did with the leather shoulder harness. So I'm making a blend of the two. Like you, I planned to use that very same Under Armor compression top and apply the stars and stripes with fabric paint via an freezer paper stencil. It rocks me back to hear that won't work. But I'm bucked to hear about this Inkjet Iron-On Transfer Paper! That could yield better, cleaner results than my original plan.

Gotta check into it.

Good luck with your build! Nice to know someone else out there likes what I like, and is thinking along the same lines, too.

Hi, all!

Me and the hubby are gearing up for CA:WS release next year. I'm going to do a budget Black Widow build, and we'll be doing a modified Super Soldier variant that is used in the films.

Here is my thought: we're going to go with the $20.00 plastic mask (which we already own). I'll mod it to be the correct color.

The shirt however poses an interesting challenge.

I'm liking the look of the under armor in navy. I'm thinking about painting it or screen printing on the design. If I paint, I'll use the freezer paper (wax paper) stenciling method.

I'm concerned about the stretchy nature of the shirt as well as the synthetic fibers resisting paint. Does anyone have experience with under armor painting?

Some have said it turned out well, others say it's like a black hole for paint - it just disappears.

P.S. As a random geek side note, I'm strictly against any romantic interests between Cap and Widow. ;) That is NOT my favorite pairing.

P.S.S. Can someone PLEASE create a "black widow" tag? I was hunting for info for her here, and when I tried to tag it as such, it says I cannot create tags. But there is no other suggestion popping up. Grr.

View attachment 294088 The iron on turned out FANTASTICALLY. I am so pleased with the results. Very impressed with how it moves with the compression fabric. Thanks much, drakeprimeone, for the advice.
I spray painted it silver. I didn't actually do a test swatch. (I live life on the edge! ;) ) But with your advice, I knew not to bake it too long.

Tengu3, thanks! I look forward to yours as well.

The next step is to get some red stripes on this thing. And that will be it for us! If I'm feeling adventurous, I may try to add the chevrons and stars on the shoulders. I only used two sheets of the transfer paper and have three left.

Not sure why the pick won't rotate correctly....I'll add some more tomorrow.

Edit: my living room is covered in foam bits and other such cosplay stuffs. Please excuse! :)

GREAT to hear you had success with the iron-on for dark fabric on the Under Armor top. That's so much cleaner and more professional looking anyway than I'd have got from a stencil and fabric paint.

I'm putting the star-in-a-circle design on the chest and on the shoulders, with stripes that connect them all the way around, even on the back.

I'm curious to see how durable these stripes will be were the leather shoulder straps go over them in front by the shoulders, and even more so, in back, where the straps come together at that big massive metal buckle, which, thank goodness, I already have.

I guess I'll find out, one way or the other.

View attachment 294088 The iron on turned out FANTASTICALLY. I am so pleased with the results. Very impressed with how it moves with the compression fabric. Thanks much, drakeprimeone, for the advice.
I spray painted it silver. I didn't actually do a test swatch. (I live life on the edge! ;) ) But with your advice, I knew not to bake it too long.

The next step is to get some red stripes on this thing. And that will be it for us! If I'm feeling adventurous, I may try to add the chevrons and stars on the shoulders. I only used two sheets of the transfer paper and have three left.

Edit: my living room is covered in foam bits and other such cosplay stuffs. Please excuse! :)

Glad it worked out! Something is wrong with your link. I can't seem to see it

Hmm.....probably to do with using the Tapatalk app on my phone. I'll upload from the pc tonight.

Nice!! I like that look. And thanks for reminding me - I have to get the shield!! OMGOSH. You can't be any version of Cap without a shield! *goes to order right now*

That does make me wonder, has anybody done a version of the "energy" shield that Steve used during his time as one of the Secret Avengers? That would be a different and cool take on a classic.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back