[HELP] Flexible Polyurethane Rubber For casting?

zombienoms

So I've never molded nor casted anything before but I recently got the idea in my head that maybe I could make some pieces out of a flexible rubber.

Basically I'm into Iron man suits and there's certain parts that I would like to make more flexible and durable. I found a product from smooth on that seems to fit the bill
Simpact 85 High Impact Resistant Urethane Resin

I want to make flexible rubber parts like they use for the movies but I have no idea what I'm doing or what I would need. Any thoughts?

you'd need to make a mold in order to cast the polyurethane resin. it is a good idea for some parts of the costume, i believe they actually did that for certain parts on the movie-set suit! the site you were on actually provides kits that help you learn the process, i think they may have material specific kits for casting rubber, but i'm not certain. i'll look around on there if i can get a chance, i advise you to do the same!

well I found some potential materials in either the smooth on simpact 85, or also a company called brick in the yard molding supply? They offer a 10 lb density foam that they use to make flexible rubber props like weapons but I'm not sure how the application would be when used for gloves or suit parts. Here's a link to a youtube playlist with examples of their products and also a link inside it to their actual site

Special Effects Tutorial: flexible foam casting - YouTube

I mean there's basically a few questions I need answered of what are all the material I need, what's the deal with painting it, can it take the beating. I used thin foam for some parts that I wanted to flex on my last suit but they tore up so basically this is part of my quest to make better materials for my next suit. I heard (and saw in behind the scenes) that they used a rubber for the suit but having no experience in casting much less molding I'm trying to piece together what to do!

- - - Updated - - -

well I found some potential materials in either the smooth on simpact 85, or also a company called brick in the yard molding supply? They offer a 10 lb density foam that they use to make flexible rubber props like weapons but I'm not sure how the application would be when used for gloves or suit parts. Here's a link to a youtube playlist with examples of their products and also a link inside it to their actual site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PIsKtu9R08&list=PLxqcMivkp-T5olGbAGqyysIHmxEK6XUsm

I mean there's basically a few questions I need answered of what are all the material I need, what's the deal with painting it, can it take the beating. I used thin foam for some parts that I wanted to flex on my last suit but they tore up so basically this is part of my quest to make better materials for my next suit. I heard (and saw in behind the scenes) that they used a rubber for the suit but having no experience in casting much less molding I'm trying to piece together what to do!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back