Janecosplay? 10th doctors coat options/opinions?

Skippy2k

Hello, I've several times intended to get a version of the 10th doctors coat as I've always really liked it but keep putting it off. I want to eventually get one of the awesome Steve Ricks replicas but keep having more important things get in the way of it... So in the mean time looking at the more budget alternative I was wanting to get some opinions.

I've read the threads I've seen and the cosplaysky seems to be a popular choice but I was wondering about this Janecosplay one i've found on amazon. I haven't seen anything on it and though I can't tell if the collar is too wide or just the way it's resting but it looked pretty good. Though I think the hellocosplay one is the only one that seem to have the little triangular detail on the center back?

As a coat I'm not sure that little detail really even matters beyond being the nitpicky fan that I am but I would let that go for it having the overall feel right. So as the best options go, Cosplaysky, Janecosplay, tssy2005, Hellocosplay or other what have you found to be the best?

Janecosplay
Cosplaysky
Tssy2005
Hellocosplay

Other? Any input is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Janecosplay and tssy2005 are using the same images. That makes me super wary.

None of the above are giving me good enough images to determine if they are doing the darts right for the front panels (leading into the pockets there were darts).

I'm wondering why you don't buy the official one? It's not that much more expensive than the above.

NOTE: I haven't purchased any of the coats above, but DID make a Ten coat before the official coat was released, so am pretty familiar with the design.

I've noticed some seem to use the same images which makes me wonder as well, some look similar but are actually different. I've looked at the "official" abbyshot coat and saw it once at convention but it seems too thick a material to me, may be made right but just didn't seem to have the right feel of the doctor's coat. I tend to like the faux suede look more than the wool or heavier versions i've seen. I've looked at them a lot and compared but sometimes it's hard to tell from pics versus first hand accounts.

As much as I might want them to have every detail right for the price I could live with it being a good representation of the coat if not exact. None seem to have the rounded pocket corners, once looks to have the little triangles above the center split(sorry don't know the correct terminology for these) and where the pockets sit between the buttons seem off a bit but figure this may be more due to fit/arm length.

Unfortunately I don't have the skill as you did to make one, i've poured over Steve Ricks blog many times in jealousy on how awesome a job he's done. Maybe one day I'll manage to get one, at least I would be less wary to wear the less expensive versions on the go instead of a locked vault! :)

All of these have the color off. The photo they were using was color corrected, obviously. When you try to replicate clothes or props, you should always have that prop or article of clothing with you. That's why Abby Shot has an exact Captain Jack coat, and why Celestial Toystore has an exact Sherlock coat.

Yes I read that when he first posted it and from time to time since. It's very helpful but I figured since new ones seem to crop up from time to time and since some improve as they go it would be worth finding out. I love that blog and the meticulous effort he has put in on the doctors outfits. In that review tssy seems to be a favorite so may go with that one though I like the little detail on the other as well...just so hard to choose.

Of all these, I would go for the tssy coat. The abbyshot looks like Del Boy's coat in person, I'd steer clear of it personally.

Janecosplay and tssy2005 are using the same images. That makes me super wary.

Ooops, looks like I accidentally put the tssy link to the JaneCosplay line too... Sorry, just noticed. They don't use the same images after all and I thought the JC one looked pretty good but haven't seen anything else on it. One thing that it's hard for me to tell is if the lapels are just too wide or if it's the way it's fitted?

Here is the actual link:
JaneCosplay

Last edited:
JaneCosplay is not showing photos of the back :(

Otherwise it looks pretty close. Missing the darts above the pockets but pockets are rounded (even if it's in the welt) and correct buttonholes. All in all, for what I can see of it, it looks pretty good. And the fabric looks really good.

Lining is probably not the stripe, but I don't think ANY of the coats gets that right; a solid blue would be great.

I have the hellocosplay. I enjoy the coat to just wear around (well, until my son took it), so wasn't too concerned about any detail failings. However, as far as quality: I've had to re-sew almost every button and the liner has torn along the seams multiple times. Could be just because I have put it through alot of daily use, but was annoying. Don't know how helpful that is, but is the limit of my experience.

JaneCosplay is not showing photos of the back :(

I messaged JC asking if there were any pictures of the upper back but haven't heard back yet. I thought the material on the JC one looked nice too, hope to get pics of the back but I kinda like the narrower collar/lapels on the tssy version. As of now i'm leaning toward the tssy, wondered if they would be open to rounding the pocket flaps, may message them as well.

Well over a week and no response from JC, maybe they are away but pretty much leaning toward the tssy one anyway. Wondering if the pics on the page are the most recent, I ask since the black version of the 10th doctors coat looks to have the rounded pocket corners and at least one of the triangle things on the back not pictured on the brown version? Was going to see about having the rounded pockets done but maybe they have already moved toward that? Not sure why a different color would use a different pattern, anyone know?

Also just for my own information do those triangle things on the back have a name? Feel dumb calling them that every time. I assume they are to reinforce the top/bottom of the center split/expansion.

Sorry for the triple post but finally got a response and picture from JC. Guess maybe she didn't get my first message as I got a reply to my second pretty timely.

It's a hard choice, I think the collar on the tssy one looks better and maybe the color(not sure if it's just lighting) but the back on the JC looks pretty good.
3.JPGDSC_6224.JPGDSC_6225.JPG

Terrasolo, unhappy with any of the efforts on the Tennant coat thus far, has approached me to take a whack at the design. If this happens, I will, of course, not only add it to the roster, I'll add the pattern to my site as well.
While I can't promise the lower price tag of tssy, I can promise the best quality.

Though I may not know every dart/detail I have lurked Steve Ricks blog many a days. I don't think the tssy one looks that bad, the collar looks a little too wide on the JC one and all seem to my eye to have the pocket flaps too big but not horrible. The color seems to be one of the hard things to get right too but I guess short of the more expensive fabrics that's always going to be the case the way the other reacts to light. I would be curious to see how your effort turns out and what the price range would be. For an unlimited budget Steve's looks to be perfect and while I always hold hope to get one at some point it's probably going to be awhile. My attitude has been if i'm going to buy one I may as well wait/save for the one I want rather than getting a cheap one but more and more want to try one out.

I would like to compile a list of details and see how much customization they are willing to do to get closer to the original.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back