Hal9000 Build - Finally Done.

Gordon Gekko

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been wanting one of these forever and finally got around to starting it.

I have been using Phase Pistol's excellent blueprints as the basis for all the dimensions.

I started with two clear plastic globes that I got at Michaels - 2-1/2" and 4" - that I cut down to the correct size. The small disc is milk plex that will be used behind the small "lens" to diffuse the light. The small lens is also sanded on the inside to further diffuse the LED.

hal001nx2.jpg

The bezels for the lens, and base are all laser engraved/cut plexiglass of varying depths.

hal002eq1.jpg

hal003rh0.jpg

hal004as5.jpg

The box is also laser cut plex with beveled edges, room for the LED and a micro switch on the side.

hal005ci8.jpg

The whole thing stacks together pretty neatly.

hal006gu4.jpg

hal007gu1.jpg

hal008aq2.jpg

This shows the light setup in back. I hacked apart a booklight with a 5mm LED powered by 3 LR44 batteries. I replaced the white LED with a red one, and made an opening in the case for the on/off switch.

hal009ej9.jpg

This shows the switch from the outside of the case. It should be pretty discreet when the whole thing is painted up.

hal009azj7.jpg

And, preliminary light test. I think it's looking pretty good, but I will probably still be messing with the lens setup to get a more realistic look.

hal010nu4.jpg

hal011be2.jpg

I think I have spent around $10 on this so far. Not bad compared to the cost of an actual lens.

I will post more updates as time permits.

Last edited:
Very cool.

Would love to see a run of the panels offered in the JY ;) ;) :lol

If you want to diffuse the LED even further, try sanding the top of the LED flat (do a little at a time until you get the result you're looking for)

-Fred

ohyeah.

i could use one of those in the server room where i work. JY please.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blufive @ Feb 1 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]1409616[/snapback]</div>
I hope to see these in the Junkyard when you're done.

:) [/b]

Excellent version.

Just needs the decal.

If it cost you only $10, I suppose you have access to laser cutter on the job.
You could make alot of cool props with this process.

Would be interested in laser cut plexi than resin,
but will take either.

Congrats.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Let's see if I actually get this sucker finished, and don't get too excited. When I say it cost me $10 so far, that's only for the purchase of the clear globes, booklight, red LED, wire, etc. The plex is just endcuts I have laying about the shop, and of course, I don't charge myself laser time. :lol

And here I was agonizing over how to get machining done to replicate the lens parts. :lol

Well done, and incredible economy to boot. :thumbsup

- k

I think someone already brought it up, but if you use Wet Sandpaper, at about a 1000 Grit(which is fairly hard to find) you can get a really nice diffused look.

Re: Hal9000 Build

Finally got this one finished!

13.75" tall, laser engraved plex with clear resin cast, 2 part lens.

hal01vl1.jpg

Waterslide decal.

hal02iu7.jpg

hal03km9.jpg

hal04td6.jpg

Waterslide decals for the lens as well.

hal05mv9.jpg

glow01sd6.jpg

The Switch hidden on the side.

switchnw0.jpg

It's pretty hard to photograph, but I think the lighting turned out great. -Finally.

Last edited:
Re: Hal9000 Build

Damn I remember this from way back, when I was still up in Boston, even got one of the lenses. went on the back burner with dozens of others.. Nice job!!!

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back