Mjolnir - Thor's Hammer, first ever MDF build WIP

Martijn3000

My first ever prop build. I thougt i'd try it for myself after seeing such great work here on the RPF. I just want to keep you posted on the progress. And al comments en tips are welcome, but be gentle :p

I found some rough dimensions on the web and started from there.
First the general shape and edges
002.jpg

Then the "end caps" and filled the void with construction foam
004.jpg

Top plate
007.jpg

Handle (pvc pipe with end cap) and started smoothing the holes
013.jpg

Some size reference photo's
014.jpg015.jpg016.jpg

So that's it so far. Now working on smoothing everything out, so filling and sanding my fingers to the bone :D
Like i said, all tips and suggestions are welcome and will keep you all posted on the progress.

Greetings from Holland:cheers

It's looks fantastic! What is the head made out of? I'm curious because this is a project that I eventually want to tackle.

The head is made from 18mm MDF, it gives a nice feel and weight to it and it's easy to work with. I filled the head with construction foam to get ridd of the hollow sound it makes. I filled the handle with sand to balance everyting out. Right now i'm trying to smooth everything and then it's time to tackle the details.

Just a little update. Got some filler and sanding done and a fist base coat of silver.... problem is with the silver all the inperfections are made even more visible :behave but progress is progress..... so more filler en sanding to do...

018.jpg020.jpg021.jpg024.jpg

Another update,
Trying to mold the trim piece on the bottom of the hammer head out of clay... hopefully it turns out oke... and painted the hammer black it's a better basecoat to work from.

025.jpg026.jpg027.jpg028.jpgHandle trim.jpg

Looks great so far. Any idea how you're going to do the runes?

Thanks! I looked at a few techniques for the runes and the best way i could think of was to use something called puffy paint.... i'll transfer a template on to the hammer and than trace it with the paint.... it leave a raised line that you can paint over...

I've used the puffy paint to do some details on my son's Thor armor, and it did turn out pretty great. That will probably work nicely.

Wow! That's great! A comic book Mjolnir is going to be my first foray into prop making. And if it turns out well, I am going to make the Ultimate version as well.

Just i small update, but it took me a while to get it right..... now i just have to figure out how ti get the "ribs" on the handle.....

037.jpg035.jpgHandle trim.jpg038.jpg

double post

as for the rib detailing try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3rT-J0XW6M

its a really awesome blacksmith who makes props like this out of metal but the handel detailing should be 'compatibe' is moddified so to speak

I´ve seen most of his video´s.... indeed an awesome blacksmith... goes to show good tools are half the battle..... i wish i had a shop like that, but i just have to do with my limited tools and work space. I was thinking for my build to make one of the ribs out of pvc or clay and then make a rubber mold an resin cast all the ribs, but that would be the first time for me so let´s see what i can turn out.

It´s been a few weeks since my last update but i was bussy with other things. Today a had a crack at the top plate. I wish i had or know someone with a 3d printer or cnc machine..... but i don't so i had to manualy cut out all the runes :wacko... now i need to transfer it to the hammer and then the most fun part.... cut it into the piece.... but that's what building is all about right?.... strangely it 's almost meditative :rolleyes
045.jpg044.jpg

Will keep you informed on the progress

It´s been a few weeks since my last update but i was bussy with other things. Today a had a crack at the top plate. I wish i had or know someone with a 3d printer or cnc machine..... but i don't so i had to manualy cut out all the runes :wacko... now i need to transfer it to the hammer and then the most fun part.... cut it into the piece.... but that's what building is all about right?.... strangely it 's almost meditative :rolleyes
View attachment 262741View attachment 262742

Will keep you informed on the progress

I want to do the hammer project after my statue is done, but maybe I could help you cut something out. I have really tiny bits I could use to make really detailed runes. I just do not have the dxf files yet...still searching...

I want to do the hammer project after my statue is done, but maybe I could help you cut something out. I have really tiny bits I could use to make really detailed runes. I just do not have the dxf files yet...still searching...

Great idea, but you would have to ship it half way across the world.... so that would be a costly venture ;)
I have a wood working set myself, it will take a while but that's oke

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back