Chewbacca costume build

Behold the Bride of Chewie - mullet is coming along nicely.

10268644_536021606507007_5775754256092333758_n.jpg

1959408_536021653173669_2755562589984032225_n.jpg

Updated pics from the weekend:

14311792221_13bd24f648.jpg

14128431048_d1f9990db5.jpg

14128382159_2d1244a979.jpg

14313199762_30f2fecd1d.jpg

Working out where to bridge the gap (aka the inverted leg LOL!)
14128393419_72c5fec6e3.jpg

The leg gap should be sorted this week, then more trimming, more darkening of the hair in certain areas to blend better (thanks Chefhawk for your awesome tips) and then hairing up the mask the week beginning 9 June - one week before debut!

Getting there!

Slapper, that is FANTASTIC work !!!

Your build reminds me a lot of Tarfful because of the wider head, though. And to be honest, I always loved the Wookiees with more than just a bandolier ;)

Slapper, that is FANTASTIC work !!!

Your build reminds me a lot of Tarfful because of the wider head, though. And to be honest, I always loved the Wookiees with more than just a bandolier ;)

Thanks Daddy. Yep, I've got a couple of modifications to make to the mask to bring the sides in a bit but really happy with the build overall.

Regards
Sarah.

Great effort ....truly amazing.Loved the Supernova pics on FB...the 501st would be so proud.What's next...lol

Great effort ....truly amazing.Loved the Supernova pics on FB...the 501st would be so proud.What's next...lol

Thanks Tubs. I'm seriously contemplating going back to latch hooking and doing Cousin Itt. Diggin on the beret and sunglasses LOL :)

Lieutenant Dan, you got new legs!!

Feet MK3.

Decided that at 7 foot 8, the drywall stilts were just waaaay too unstable. So bought High Steppers (out of the US). More weight disbursement and light as a feather. Will be painting black, adding front padding to hide Chewie inverted leg syndrome that a lot of builders wrestle and adding additional tie downs.

Hopefully my existing pants will fall over the entire thing, however no biggie to just cut a triangle shape in the front or back, sew in some more mesh and then, LOL, latch hook more hair.

Giggity!

High Steppers.JPG

So had to cut up the middle of the pants, in a triangular shape, to accommodate the new legs.

Latch hooking here I come! LOL

14957876282_b0ef424667_z.jpg
[/IMG]

Latch hooking done. New toes are in order. Manky toenails made up from Worbla yesterday. Will affix to new shaped foam feet.

15382487821_b4ebb87306_z.jpg

Hi Slapper
I am planning my own Wookiee costume build soon - not Chewbacca, a Wookiee of my own design for roleplaying game purposes.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia.
I am wondering how you found the new feet. I was planning to buy plasterers stilts, but I saw your comment about instability. How do you find the High Steppers?
What have you used for hands?
Any other advice for a beginner trying to build a Wookiee in Australia?
Thanks!

Hi Slapper
I am planning my own Wookiee costume build soon - not Chewbacca, a Wookiee of my own design for roleplaying game purposes.
I'm in Melbourne, Australia.
I am wondering how you found the new feet. I was planning to buy plasterers stilts, but I saw your comment about instability. How do you find the High Steppers?
What have you used for hands?
Any other advice for a beginner trying to build a Wookiee in Australia?
Thanks!

Hi Lady Rassilon.

The "feet" are from Steppin Up, Inc. http://www.steppinupinc.com/
Cost including shipping to Sydney, AUS was $150. They are SOOO much better than plasterers stilts, much more stable.
The gloves I use for my hands are just Nomex black gloves but have made sure the hair comes down over them.

The mesh for the suit is important. I sourced mine locally from Haverford Pty Ltd in Revesby, NSW. It's mesh used for sails, etc. The US guys call it "aquatic netting". $15 per lineal metre. You can not rip it and so far I've got no stretch from it at all. Seriously, the stuff just won't tear.

My advice is just to start. Stop procrastinating and just get into it. Measure twice, cut once.

Top has been thinned to a standard I'm happy with.
16252074100_a54db7f57d_z.jpg

Pants have also been thinned right down. Here's a comparison. That's not me in the pants but a mate of mine who's a similar build. Much easier to work on when you can actually see them on.

Older version of pants:
16477415625_7a2157c656_z.jpg

Latest version of pants:
15854880624_432cc8a172_z.jpg

16477415855_e1cba4f722_z.jpg

Now on to foam toes and then resubmit for approval with RL.

This is looking fantastic Slapper.
I have been working on my own wookiee costume since January, I'm mostly done with the latchhooking now. Thinning and general grooming will be my next step.
Then adding length for the stilts (my stilts will be an optional part of the costume, not worn all the time)

I am wondering how you went about thinning out the hair? Did you trim it evenly, or cut out particular tufts?
What did you use to cut the hair? I was going to go and buy some hairdresser shears. Maybe even ask a student hairdresser to help.
I have not decided what to do yet, I have another week's work in latchhooking before I need to decide.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back