Modern Arwen Chase Dress

sketchy

Okay so I found a modern version of the Arwen Chase Dress from the fellowship of the ring and I would like your views on if you think this actually looks allright not as a costume but something I could wear more often than just at conventions.

arwen_modern.jpg

the link to the original blog post where you can read a little bit more detail about the costume can be found below
Costume Nerdiness | The Art of Briana Lamb

So do you think that I could get away with this not at a convention of some sort. like in everyday life? or maybe even a night out if I get positive feedback. Do you think many people would recognise it from the movie? what sort of shoes do you think would look good?

any discussion or feedback is appreciated below. I just wanted to gauge what people thought before I consider making this :)

The jacket looks a bit too costume-y to pass as an ordinary everyday-wear garment unless you already have a similar style. The sleeves of the jacket could be hard to match with the sleeves of your sweater/shirt/blouse etc. but if it turns out to be an issue you could always change them afterwards.

The elegance of female elves has been in the flow of lines from neck to feet. Somehow a miniskirt, although hella sexy to fanboys, just doesn't scream Middle-earth. I recall the scene when a caravan of elves were leaving Middle-earth and Elrond was conversing and sending his thoughts to Arwen (if I remember the context correctly). Female elves were in flowing robes down to their feet. They were singular garments and not a two part concept like blouse and skirt. Galadriel was also full length.

Also consider how much function was part of the designs. Riding horses makes a miniskirt somewhat a challenge. Function is part of the elegance of the realism of their designs for the film.

Hope this helps.

HAH, that's my design! And an old one at that! :p (Like...really old) I drew that when I was first learning about costume design years ago. I loved Arwen's chase dress, specifically the sleeves. So I tried to figure out how to incorporate that into a more modern outfit. The miniskirt....I don't even know why I did that. Probably because it was easiest to draw. If I were to redo that, I'd definitely go for either a knee-length very full skirt (in similar fabric to the undersleeves) or slacks in a matching grey tone to the jacket.

But if you do make it, I totally want to see pictures! :D

I realised it was your TheLadyNerd, after I did a little more digging :) I found it on deviant art, by accident a while ago.
As much as I would like to be able to make something amazing as this I'm afraid I just don't have the skills. If your other work is anything to go by then im sure you could make this if you wanted to. This was more a discussion about this particular version of the costume rather than me actually making anything. I didn't intend to steal it or anything like that.

Oh no worries, I wasn't meaning to imply any sort of stealing on your part. Not in the slightest. I'm just amused an old artwork of mine has surfaced that someone likes!

Fear not, I don't have the skills either. I actually can't sew (scandalous, I know!). I just do the all the prep work (designing, finding fabrics, materials, research, etc.) and crafting final photoshoots. I leave the sewing to the actual sewers. I just delegate everything to commissions. :p (Though I'm doing my best to learn more about actually making things myself each project I do. But it's tough!) So I'm sure if you wanted something like this made to wear at conventions, you could find a seamstress/sewer to team up with and voila!

Just saw this. I do like the look of it, but I agree that the skirt treatment could be done a lot different. If I had the time, I'd do this for my girlfriend, but I already have enough things on the project list including another outfit for her. I'll show her this though. I'm sure she might like to add it to her project list.:D I can see various possibilities for the lower portion. If we get around to somethng. I will let you know and certainly direct credit to the original design sketch. I can easily see the sleeve decoration pattern done in a burnout design. I think it could even be modified slightly to victorian/steampunk very nicely.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back