New here with a Silhouette Cameo cutting foam question

crashegordon

Hello everyone. This is only my second post but been reading on the forums for about a month now. Great info here guys I must say.

I am starting to work on a foam build of the Iron Man Mark VII and am looking to purchase a Silhouette Cameo to help with the Pepakura Foam files. What I am trying to figure out is will it cut the actual foam as well. I have read that it will and I have read that it wont in other forms and on here as well.

The question I am wondering is if it would cut the 2mm or 3mm foam and maybe not the 5 to 7mm stuff? Any help would be great and I am still thinking of getting one even if just to help cut the paper with sticky back to help make cutting the foam quicker.

Thanks again guys and gals with the help, this site is great!!

Crash

The cameo won't cut the 5 and 6mm stuff. I don't even think the rollers on the machine will lock correctly with thick stuff.

Don't know about the thinner foam, though. Never tried. Worth a shot, I suppose.

It would, like you said, make it easier for cutting the templates out. The sticky back stuff is a good idea, I think.

either way it goes, iron man suits require varied thicknesses of foam to get the best results.. 2mm, 3mm, 6mm, 10-11mm.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Torx I have noticed this as well. What I was thinking was if I could cut the 2 and 3mm I could hand cut the thicker stuff when needed.

hey, yeah what all the guys have said before.

I do have a silhouette cameo and I dont really recommend trying to cut foam with it. However the foam templates will save you time.

The thing I have NOT tried yet is HIPS High Impact Poly Styrene Sheets.

It is possible to get it in the .45 mm gauge and then use the the Silhouette cameo just to score the lines which you would need.

I may try this with an old blade and see how it works.

However.... with the registry points I have found the results vary greatly even on regular cardstock.

Tank

Tank I am very interested in what you are thinking. This would allow you to just trim where it cut and make a much more ridged suit! Great idea especially if it works!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back