Star Trek TV Series Remake

I just read this. Why, of all people, Roberto Orci? His ST scripts are terrible and superficial. With him, it is just as with Otto in "A Fish Called Wanda" about apes not reading philosophy. They DO read it, only they understand it. Same with Orci.

In fairness to Orci, or really, anyone who has written a ST movie, ST film is not the same as ST TV. I don't think ANY of the films deal with the morality of the Trek universe as deeply as the TV series have. I would encourage folks to listen to Orci on the Mission Log Podcast and his discussion of the development of Into Darkness and his thoughts on ST. He is a ST fan! It's not as if he didn't know anything about the franchise before he took the job.

I didn't even see the tribble episode they did FWIW.

Nice to know a mis-attribution means I hate something though...

My reference was directed at an episode of what I recall being TNG where they were ported to the 29th century. All you really saw of the 29th century was a room on a bridge though.

Thanks for those data, jlee562. Maybe I do him wrong. I'll have to look up these. The only thing I could judge from was the movies.

And, yes, absolutely, some of the films are a far cry from TV Trek, especially the NextGen ones.
To me, ST:TMP and ST VI came close regarding ethics, although, as far as TMP goes, you could do your tax declaration during some of the scenes and would not have missed a bit.

I quite like JJ Abrams as an action director (though I have found all of his films so far unbelievably shallow on a storytelling level), and I have no problem at all with the new timeline, it is just that these scripts , to me, hasten from EVENT!! to EVENT!! to ACTION SEQUENCE!!!! as if that is all that makes a good story.
Those movies feel like the cinematic equivalent of ADHS syndrome.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back