SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

VectorZero,

I'm happy to share what information I can and I enjoy learning from the forum as well...there is an incredible depth of knowledge and experience here.

The software tools I mostly use are not proprietary. My workflow for a typical project is to leverage SynthEyes and/or PFMatchit for the 3D
view-correlation and tracking. I also use Modo or ZBrush for the 3D (modeling, texturing, rendering) and After Effects or Nuke for any compositing. Photoshop is ubiquitous throughout the entire process - especially the measuring tools (linear and angular measurements).

As for photogrammetry, that is an area of continued research and testing and thank you for the link, I hadn't seen that before. I've used 123D Catch for testing and proof of concept and Agisoft's Photoscan for the same, as well as professionally.

As for whether one moves the camera around a fixed object (and fixed lighting) or spin the object in front of a static camera and fixed lighting - I've had good success with both techniques using both tools. I would say from experience that the more "overcast" and flat your lighting is, you could use either approach. If, however, your lighting is contrasty and directional with a mix of deep shadows and directly lit areas, I would move the camera around the fixed object. The software tools love detail and texture - the more the merrier.

One advantage of spinning the object relative to a fixed camera is that your lighting gets averaged across the overall form. In other words, the resultant texture maps, attached to the derived geometry, exhibit very little modeling via lighting - just flat diffuse color.

For example:

[video=vimeo;80159816]http://vimeo.com/80159816[/video]

I shot the Panther Ausf. A rear deck donor kit part on a turntable in fairly flat overhead fluorescent shop lighting. I did move the camera but only along a vertical arc rotating from horizontal to vertical looking down and only to impart a greater degree of parallax and coverage of the overall part. I used my iPhone 4s and 123d Catch as an experiment.

If I wanted to reverse engineer the part - I would use a high resolution laser scan like I did for the Entex Wankel parts in the 3D render frame I posted earlier in this thread (MF_donorPartSamples_001.jpg - although, the laser scan above is not complete as I only wanted major features on the part in 3D space to help me line up my 3D cameras).

Also, here is another photogrammetry test build using Photoscan:

[video=vimeo;80161404]http://vimeo.com/80161404[/video]

The stills that were used were primarily taken from underneath and facing aft. As you can see, the geometry and textures start to shear and stretch pretty quickly. The more pictures and angles fed into the software, gaps start to get filled in and the overall forms takes a more accurate shape.

Regards,

Andre

Andre

This is fascinating read. It's great to see industry guys helping out the fans.

Are the software tools that you are using proprietary? (I'm guessing so due to your day job.) The open source photogrammetry tools that I have discovered so far (excellent article here) rely on you taking overlapping photos from multiple different angles of an object to which you already have access. These tools seem to rely on identifying the same points from different angles, and they then build up a representative 3d mesh. When using them they specifically state not to hold the camera still and revolve the subject.

When trying to determine dimensions using analysis of still frames you are often dealing with a situation where the camera is locked off, and the model moves. Your original analysis seems to have been done from still frames and/or stills - suggesting a different approach or maybe different and more powerful software.

Right now I'm trying to work out the proportions of a model which doesn't have much in the way of greeblies to create a base reference. However, there is an existing kit which seems reasonably accurate, so I'm using that as the reference. I'm trying to infer from the stills what details I need to change, and its proving much harder than I thought - and the shapes are very simple rectilinear forms (viz. the upper part of ED-209's legs.)

Any tips? Or is this software only in the price range a VFX house can afford?

Way out of my league here (was never good in math) but I certainly understand the "look" part of the equation. Great work and looking forward to more posts:)

You're really putting in the time on this eh Andre!.
The more posts you put up, the more excited I get thinking about the discoveries you may uncover.
As you said earlier, will be great to compare overall dimensions with each other & find a happy medium.

I sort have got in the mind-set now with building the thing, is that it will be a replica, a replica that I can get as close as possible
to the filming mini as it's possible to get. Nothing is 100% accurate here, just approximations & if it fits, fine, I'll go with that.

I feel no more ref is ever going to materialise showing major area's in glorious detail, especially from the ANH era.
What we have is enough to go on, but hey, more would be nice wouldn't it!.

Keep up the great work Andre, lovin it mate.
Stu

Stu,

Thank you very much!

Similarly, I'm considering what I'm doing an interpretation of the original - a "master's copy", to use a fine art metaphor. We'll get close, so long as the essence of the design comes through.

Plus, I'm learning quite a bit about really good design and having a whole lot of fun doing it!

Regards,

Andre

You're really putting in the time on this eh Andre!.
The more posts you put up, the more excited I get thinking about the discoveries you may uncover.
As you said earlier, will be great to compare overall dimensions with each other & find a happy medium.

I sort have got in the mind-set now with building the thing, is that it will be a replica, a replica that I can get as close as possible
to the filming mini as it's possible to get. Nothing is 100% accurate here, just approximations & if it fits, fine, I'll go with that.

I feel no more ref is ever going to materialise showing major area's in glorious detail, especially from the ANH era.
What we have is enough to go on, but hey, more would be nice wouldn't it!.

Keep up the great work Andre, lovin it mate.
Stu

A little more progress...

I wanted to prove to myself that the overall mandible thickness (not including plating) was actually 2 inches. With the recent acquisition of a key donor kit, I was able to use Photoshop and its measuring tools to compare what I know to what I want to find out. Carefully measuring the part's dimensions and building it 1:1 in 3D (I'll use this part later in my 3D comparison layout), the results are as follows.

FalconGuts11comp_030.jpg

After scaling the measuring tool to the correct pixel length units
MeasurementTool.jpg
(Photo credit: Jedilaw)

We get, circled in red...2 inches.
MeasurementToolResult.jpg

More to follow...

Andre

Attachments

• FalconGuts11comp_030.jpg
    FalconGuts11comp_030.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,201
Last edited:
VectorZero,

I'm happy to share what information I can and I enjoy learning from the forum as well...there is an incredible depth of knowledge and experience here.

Regards,

Andre

Many thanks Andre. There's a lot to take in here.

I'm going to try one of your techniques, and take a model created in FreeCAD and then try and line it up with a blu-ray captured frame to see if the geometry is correct.

Cheers

Neil

Can someone do me a favor?

I need the dimensions outlined in the attached picture of part #5 from the original 70s Tamiya Ferrari 312B kit (12007).

312B_eM_002.jpg

I have the re-release kit (12048) and after having CG modeled the part and attempting a 3D tracking line-up - something is amiss.

I might be seeing a slight tooling difference between the old part and the new...?

Thank you very much.

Andre

Ok...I sorted out the Ferrari 312B issue - my CG model was slightly wider than it should have been and I was using the wrong field of view for the CG camera.

Now, things are starting to line up nicely.

Below is a quick preview of my current work in progress layout:

sneakPreview1_001.JPG

I'll elaborate more in a subsequent post this weekend...

Regards,

Andre

Last edited:
Andre, I didn't think that Tamiya would alter the molds, being virtually a straight re-issue.
Glad you got it sorted though.
If there's any parts you want measures from kits I have that you don't, then ask away, this is some cool work here bro!.
Stu

Joberg:

Thank you! Here's another - still just sketching...

sneakPreview2_001.JPG

Stu:

In addition to the CG part being too wide, I was second guessing myself on the reference image's field of view. It's very easy to get confused and assume oneself into a pitfall.

And thank you for the offer for parts measurements. I appreciate it. There are a few vintage and very rare kits I don't have yet (i.e. Honda CB750 Racing).

Thanks again!

Regards,

Andre

Happy Holiday Season to all!

As we all slide just past the Winter Solstice and into the New Year, here is a bit more progress to review.

I really focused these last few weeks on the front-nose mandible areas (Starboard and Port).

The Tamiya 1/12 Ferrari 312B (part 5) provided the initial dimensions to start the micro-survey:

312B_KitScan_001.jpgpart5_Comp.jpg

I then shot a quick iPhone movement test and 3D tracked the CG model and comped it over the original part as a visual check:

[video=vimeo;82533773]http://vimeo.com/82533773[/video]

Using some image reference from the SW Exhibit and via 3D photogrammetry, snapped CG cameras to each still camera angle – first, the starboard side:

cgComp_001.jpg312B_SB_part5_frame1.jpg312B_SB_part5_frame2.jpg312B_SB_part5_frame3.jpg

Then, for corroboration, the port side:

312B_PORT_part5_frame1.jpg312B_PORT_part5_frame2.jpg

I also assumed that the posts in back are slightly cut down (colored red) and the part lies flush on the 12 exhaust port plateaus (colored blue):

backScan_002.jpgsideScan_001.jpg

I then arrived at the following nose dimensions for the starboard plane and assume the same (mirrored) on the port side:

312B_part5_SB-Base_NoseDims_001.jpg

Finally, based on an overall 2D and 3D measurement and survey, I propose the following dimension that tie the starboard and port side together:

innerOuterMandibleNoseDims_001.jpg

The next step is to drop more 3D modeled donor parts along the mandibles and start walking aft along both the inner and outer walls.

For example, the 8Rad donor part cut down...

8Rad_wireComp_001.jpg

Regards,

Andre

dsp5500:

Thank you, yes for tracking I mostly use SynthEyes and a bit of PFMatchIt. For volumetric photogrammetry (3D mesh solves) I use Photoscan.

Finally, for the 3D modeling and donor part layouts and assemblies - Modo 701.

Regards,

Andre

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back