SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

I agree with your goal of sharing your discoveries. I've never really understood the folks who didn't want to share what they've found. It always seems to stem from the desire to be exclusive and say "Nee-ner nee-ner, I've got something that you don't."

The whole point of the Studio Scale forum is the strive for accuracy. Keeping details secret doesn't help anyone and I'd like to believe that we are all in this together. I'd rather have the appreciation of other builders for sharing the discoveries instead of their frustration because someone knows but won't share.

You should be applauded for your openness!

Hear Hear, And thank you for your help on my projects.:thumbsup

Thanks everybody...I appreciate it.

I've been neck deep in work stuff the last few weeks.

More progress soon...

Apb

Eager to see your next update...and yes Duncanator: information is power and people holding information are just power tripping:behave Sharing info is the best way to go!!

Evening, folks...been a while. More to come soon, now that I'm back at it.

For now, progress on the cockpit area. Parts ready for printing...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411626367.314451.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411626382.151453.jpg

Regards,

Andre

Wow! This is absolutely amazing, and the build hasn't even started. What an incredible process. I feel like this thread could be made into a documentary. Great job! looking forward to watching this.

Hah! Yes, look for something on that end of next week. ;-)

In truth, I have thought about that kind of project for the future. What would be interesting is to consolidate and then scan, sculpt, model etc. all of the necessary donor kit parts in 3D - (these should probably be curated anyway for the future). Many of these kits kits are getting rare as hen's teeth.

Then rapid prototype them 1/2 scale for a SW ANH '32 inch' version. Not all parts would need to be RPd, of course. Many could be scratch built to scale as needed, desired etc.

Certainly a herculean task for one person but distributed amongst a team of enthusiastic people....many hands make light work.

Regards,

Andre

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Like I said before, this is such an incredible process, and I would love to contribute. I don't have a great camera, and probably can't travel to any exhibits, but if you need help with mesh clean up of 3d scans, I'd be willing to take on a few at a time. Don't really have too much spare time, but would be willing to use for this. I would love to help in seeing this process fully play out to the end.

This thread and build is just off the chart, hats off to you guys for all the research your doing! Mmmm there's so satisfying seeing it in 3D though, can't wait to see more parts. Makes me realise how much more I need to read and plan before I start my FM falcon :$ Keep up the amazing work!

jay mo:

Thank you for the offer of time and expertise!

I still want to organize an effort to scan/sculpt/model donor kit parts, so any and all interested can help out. It's an easy thing to suggest - but difficult to find the time to actually set-up and organize!

I'll post when I'm ready to go live, so to speak.

Cheers,

Andre

Wow! This is absolutely amazing, and the build hasn't even started. What an incredible process. I feel like this thread could be made into a documentary. Great job! looking forward to watching this.

Like I said before, this is such an incredible process, and I would love to contribute. I don't have a great camera, and probably can't travel to any exhibits, but if you need help with mesh clean up of 3d scans, I'd be willing to take on a few at a time. Don't really have too much spare time, but would be willing to use for this. I would love to help in seeing this process fully play out to the end.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you joberg!

It's slowly but surely coming back to life...

Regards,

Andre

Excellent way of coming back on the board Andre;) That cockpit is incredible!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Hope4Sun!

More part goodness to follow...

Regards,

Andre

This thread and build is just off the chart, hats off to you guys for all the research your doing! Mmmm there's so satisfying seeing it in 3D though, can't wait to see more parts. Makes me realise how much more I need to read and plan before I start my FM falcon :$ Keep up the amazing work!

Thank you joberg! I appreciate it...

Been thinking a lot more about the cockpit's structural design. I've modeled not only the outer shell (without plating, T-rails, kit details etc.) but an inner rib structure as well. Whether I RP the whole thing or do a combination two-part mold resin pour with an RPd core - I want a structurally sound form that mates with the frontal face plate and the 5.75 inch diameter tunnel.

A work in progress model rendering:

MF_cockpitUpperView_001.JPG

MF_cockpitBackView_001.JPG

MF_cockpitLowerView_001.JPG

MF_cockpitCrossSection_001.JPG

RP test print(s) to follow...

Regards,

Andre

:eek:eek YESSSSSSSSSSSS!! That's what I'm talkin' 'bout:cool I'm giddy with excitement Andre!

Last edited:
Been thinking a lot more about the cockpit's structural design. I've modeled not only the outer shell (without plating, T-rails, kit details etc.) but an inner rib structure as well. Whether I RP the whole thing or do a combination two-part mold resin pour with an RPd core - I want a structurally sound form that mates with the frontal face plate and the 5.75 inch diameter tunnel.

I've been thinking a similar approach, Andre. Have you considered a photo-etched brass part (at least the window from a assembly) with RP details? I'm super worried about breakage in this area - especially on my smaller build.

J.

I've been thinking a similar approach, Andre. Have you considered a photo-etched brass part (at least the window from a assembly) with RP details? I'm super worried about breakage in this area - especially on my smaller build.

J.

Interesting thought. I had not considered brass. Photo-etch it flat then roll it into a conic shape?

I do agree that at your MF 32" scale, thin sections like the cockpit walls/window areas could be problematic - especially at the sharp corners.

Apb

Any thought's on vac forming the cockpit?

Rob

Rob,

Yes, I have considered vac forming the cockpit. Eagle1/Stu's cockpit build is phenomenal...

But, I just don't have the proper vac kit in-house, at the moment.

Still, it might be the right technique in this case...

Apb

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back