SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

The way you rendered your cockpit will make it structurally sound for sure...and vacu-form is the way to go methink. Keep up the great work, it's inspirational!

Rob,

Yes, I have considered vac forming the cockpit. Eagle1/Stu's cockpit build is phenomenal...

But, I just don't have the proper vac kit in-house, at the moment.

Still, it might be the right technique in this case...

Apb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Awww thanks Andre!. Really you don't need to worry about the cone mate, as you can have one of my castings for your build, will save you a lot of time ha ha!.

Stu

Here's one, I hope solved...

Below, please find my new measurement for the vertical wall extension above the upper non-armored mandible surface:

MF_wallDims_001.jpg

Using a surveyed, measured and CG modeled Tamiya 312B donor kit part (plus a .040" styrene plate sitting on the mandible surface) and snapping my CG camera to that, I extrapolated nearby relationships (i.e. the Duster barrels) and ultimately the current wall height - thank you shadow lines!

If the .437 inch wall extension dimension is true, then I am about 3/32" too big in the Y-direction per the current published blueprint, from the mid-line datum.

What is interesting is that my latest photogrammetry textured mesh has the overall turret heights (from the mid-line +/-) approximately that much less. In other words, the current blue print dimension might be slightly too thick from turret face to turret face in the Y-axis. It might be approximately 10.5 inches not the current 10.75 inches. That wall height dimension affects so many other things and ultimately affects the curvature of the big domes and how they mate with the surfaces making those curved arc intersections.

Finally, I've seen that .437 inch dimension before, not sure where...possibly on that first ILM Lorne Peterson "naked Falcon" image solve approximation, way back when at the start of this thread...

We'll be updating the overall blueprints soon to reflect the new discoveries.

Regards,

Andre

Mysteries:eek...whadaymean mysteries?;)

Constant tweaking it is Andre!.
I just can't get an overall handle on the major dimensions without having built each subsection, so I'm sticking with my build schedule of reverse engineering. Build each section, then bring together as a whole, more or less & then yeah, more tweaking ha ha!.
But, with all our efforts we'll get there.
After all, kit parts don't lie, they solve the puzzle!.

Oh yeah...tweaking - but not quite.....yet..........actually................building..

But, I'm very excited as we all are taking a slightly different path up the same epic mountain.

But, to your essential point, I'm more than prepared to chuck any 'derived dimension' that does not pass muster with the overall donor kit part layouts and will adjust accordingly...i.e 22.25 inches on the forward slopes, eh?

Regards,

Andre

Constant tweaking it is Andre!.
I just can't get an overall handle on the major dimensions without having built each subsection, so I'm sticking with my build schedule of reverse engineering. Build each section, then bring together as a whole, more or less & then yeah, more tweaking ha ha!.
But, with all our efforts we'll get there.
After all, kit parts don't lie, they solve the puzzle!.

Last edited:
Andre, whatever each of us are working on, be it actual building, mocking up, reference study, donor collecting & the amazing photogrammetry your'e doing, it all benefits us greatly!. Tweakings just a progression to the final result, look at our findings mate, already we are well on our way to our dream model.
Its funny, a lot of time I enjoy the research phase more than the actual building, anyone else feel that, or is that just me, hmmm?.

Here's one, I hope solved...

Below, please find my new measurement for the vertical wall extension above the upper non-armored mandible surface:

View attachment 399420

Using a surveyed, measured and CG modeled Tamiya 312B donor kit part (plus a .040" styrene plate sitting on the mandible surface) and snapping my CG camera to that, I extrapolated nearby relationships (i.e. the Duster barrels) and ultimately the current wall height - thank you shadow lines!

If the .437 inch wall extension dimension is true, then I am about 3/32" too big in the Y-direction per the current published blueprint, from the mid-line datum.

We'll be updating the overall blueprints soon to reflect the new discoveries.

Regards,

Andre

Andre and I have been tag-teaming the base 3D model for the 5' Falcon. Here are some of the recent images of the model thus far. Not quite ready to publish "official" blue-prints, but getting there. This set takes into account the above mentioned .437 vertical wall. We've also been building the model to be somewhat elastic in the sense that we can easily modify a single dimension and see how that effects everything else. In particular, I've been experimenting with different dome radii and watching how that cascades throughout the docking arms and the cockpit tube and jaw boxes and comparing it against the 3D photogram Andre made by stitching together his photos.

I've included an exploded view to show how we're looking at some of the materials and construction techniques used on the original model to act as a guide to our solution.

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.37.jpg

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.36.jpg

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.32.jpg

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.24.jpg

Falcon63_MasterAssembly.38.jpg

Next step is to cross verify this model against the frames from the movie and other photo references, tweak, repeat...

Cheers,
Joshua

looks fantastic.What about the engine deck and exhaust? Very curious about that area. I always have some good head-scratching back there, replicating the fullscale falcon. I'm very curious how the 5' compares.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back