SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

Circle gets the square!

Using a similar camera projection mapping technique as we did on the docking rings reveals that the access pit is actually a square...

View attachment 410133

Here it is roughed-in...

View attachment 410134

We'll use a similar technique to locate and shape the rear access pits.

And a bit more work on the underside. This has been updated with Andre's latest photo-match efforts.

View attachment 410135

cheers,
J.

very cool, thank you!

This is all just so beautiful,
I'm only modding a hasbro falcon but I keep coming here for inspiration and ref....... love this thread more than I love scotch eggs, and that's a lot :)

Some interim progress below:

MF_MG_4284_001.JPG

MF_MG_4285_001.JPG

This is one of the first 3D track line-ups that we've done to the latest CG model. It's not perfect, nor will it ever be - but it is close. We are currently tweaking a bunch of details to get things even closer (i.e. mandible well positions, radar and dome well shapes and placement, cockpit/tunnel position etc).

After that, we'll be updating the proposed blueprint dimensions from earlier in this thread.

Regards,

AB, JM, SB

VFX Freak and joberg,

Thank you very much!

...and a little bit more progress with more to follow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1418278741.349759.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1418278741.349759.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 277
What have you guys found from the solve regarding symmetry of the body? Any anomalies you didn't expect?

Rob

Yes...one that I've found is that the mandible wells on the starboard side are somewhat closer to the hull dome in the Z-axis (fore -aft line) relative to the port side wells. The new blueprints will reflect this difference.

I think Stu has found others but I'll defer to him on that.

I think at least for me, I'm going to wait for the actual donor kit build, to deviate much from our current "mostly" symmetrical model. I need the actual vintage part and part assembly relationships to confirm or, more importantly, deny what we've derived, divined, theorized or subtly guessed so far...

"Your mileage may vary...", as the commercial went.

It ain't over yet...

Andre

Last edited:
When it comes to this particular build there's no reinventing the wheel approach IMHO. There will be things that will only beccome apparent while actually building. Its not fair,but it's true. You'll find that some of the older and stranger kits weren't necessarily manufactured well. And some of the parts weren't done well. You'll find that many things that seem logical on paper,just won't work while building. Sad but true. Any builder will tell you this. Unfortunately the old way is the best way. Anything else is just a good guess. There will never be any substitute for the actual parts. Not to mention the joy you'll feel while doing it.But what you guys are doing sure looks great. I'm very interested in the outcome .

When it comes to this particular build there's no reinventing the wheel approach IMHO. There will be things that will only beccome apparent while actually building. Its not fair,but it's true. You'll find that some of the older and stranger kits weren't necessarily manufactured well. And some of the parts weren't done well. You'll find that many things that seem logical on paper,just won't work while building. Sad but true. Any builder will tell you this. Unfortunately the old way is the best way. Anything else is just a good guess. There will never be any substitute for the actual parts. Not to mention the joy you'll feel while doing it.But what you guys are doing sure looks great. I'm very interested in the outcome .

Too true, faustus100 - thank you.

Only actually building the piece, with vintage donor kit parts, will be the final say.

And I suspect that we will need to adjust our 3D master assembly model based on future findings. In fact, I expect it.

Thankfully, the current digital asset is in a parametric modeling package as opposed to a poly modeler. As we make adjustments based on the build, other constrained/related forms will adjust as well - a real time saver for sure, as the overall form evolves.

Before I started this thread, I was struck by something that many people seemed to be struggling with. In a search for accurate blueprints, measurements or clean top/bottom/side views of the Falcon, image perspective seemed to be an impediment to getting accurate measurements from the images alone.

Having worked with 3D tracking tools and image-based modeling tools for years in my day-job, it struck me that some of those tools, in concert with images replete with perspective, might be of use. In fact, to work accurately (or at all), perspective is an absolute necessity.

Further, the more images – the better. Contemporary images, moving images – even images from back in the day are of great use when trying to divine something you don’t know from something you know (i.e. a donor kit part dimension).

But, not all images are created equal. Composition, exposure, depth of field, focus, focal length, lens distortion etc. are all issues that need to be considered when producing images for this particular pipeline.

So, I wanted to present a specific set of 3D techniques as a workflow that I use, that may be of use to others on their projects. Not as the only solution, but as one that dovetails nicely with techniques that have been around for hundreds of years and are as vital as ever.

Regards,

Andre

Last edited:
Well said Andre...it would be freaky that your 3-D master would fit perfectly with vintage donor parts...then again, with your level of accuracy, I wouldn't be that surprised:cool

Based on what I've seen I wouldn't be surprised either. Really in depth research using all the modern tools may be the best solution that solves this ship of riddles.

do the rear quarter access pits really have horizontal floors? I love the way that looks, but the way the greebles sit in the recesses, they seem to be at an angle flush with the rest of the exterior.

Based on this reference:

MF_wellsRef.jpg

They would appear level - unless that detail changed after this picture was taken.

Either way, a donor part assembly and fitting will be the final say...

apb

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back