SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

Jaitea - Nice color correction! A curves adjustment layer or...?

Regards,

Andre

Nope, just a simple duplicate of layer....up the brightness & fix contrast on top layer then rub out the blown out areas to reveal the original in bottom layer

Thanks again Andre, so far the best reference photos I've seen

J

Jaitea,

Thank you very much - I appreciate it!

Regards,

apb

Nope, just a simple duplicate of layer....up the brightness & fix contrast on top layer then rub out the blown out areas to reveal the original in bottom layer

Thanks again Andre, so far the best reference photos I've seen

J

Imurme,

As requested, 3 orthogonal views of the most recent photogrammetry solve:

MF_photogramOrthosFinal Color Output0003.JPGMF_photogramOrthosFinal Color Output0002.JPGMF_photogramOrthosFinal Color Output0001.JPG

This specific 3D solve is an initial estimate and in difficult lighting - so your mileage may vary...nevertheless, I hope it helps!

Regards,

Andre

Yippy, updates!!!

Thank you so much for those orthographic shots Andre, will be very useful for what I am doing. I really like the overhead view, great for getting an idea of how parts are spaced and relate to each other...Awesome!

imurme

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Ok, been away awhile. Work got a little crazy at the end of the current studio project...

But below, a quick peek at the current printed blueprints (1 inch = 1 inch) - - - and they are huge.

biggerBoat_001.jpg

So big I had to have them printed in two halves (the white border is excess "bleed" that will get cut away when the two halves are brought together). To lay them both out and see the whole full size model, one needs a minimum 4' x 8' flat surface. (That's my right foot at the bottom of frame hovering just above the prints).

Next up over the next few weeks: Proposed bottom rear landing gear box blueprint dimensions and the start of donor kit parts hung off my real-world mockup to confirm the overall blueprint dimensions.

Regards,

Andre

i'm just starting to accurize a Revell 1/72nd scale Ezy Kit, your reference photos will be invaluable!!! THANKS!

View attachment 307330

Okay, it took me a while, but here's the link to 102 photos I took of the 5' Falcon at the Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit in Los Angeles in 2007. There are lots of other photos of the Falcon around, but the deal with these is that I got away with using a handheld flash so the lighting really helps you see the details. Also, I posted them at full size (It was 2007 so it's only a 10 megapixel camera, but they're still pretty detailed.) Right-click on the image and then select "View Original" to see the full size photo.

You're welcome to use them, but please don't post them on other sites. I left off any watermarks because they just get in the way of details you might want to see!

I opened a One Drive account and posted the photos there. I think your downloads are limited unless you sign up for an account, but it's free.

Here you go, enjoy! https://onedrive.live.com/?gologin=1&mkt=en-US#cid=2562E103EE4C3F24&id=2562E103EE4C3F24!107

Hopefully that worked...

I'm just starting to accurize a Revell 1/72nd scale Ezy Kit, your reference photos will be invaluable!!! THANKS! Not quite your scale but then I'd have to move house to accommodate a 5 footer!

Thanks again, everyone, for the latest comments...I appreciate it!

Please find, at the following link, additional exhibit images of the 5' MF:

http://1drv.ms/Qj4qBr

Feel free to reference, as needed...

Regards,

Andre

Have you been able to determine the depth of the mandible open bays?

Not as yet.

The current plan is to build-up each bay interior with the correct donor kit parts and then float the whole donor assembly up/down inside each 3" diameter bay to the correct height relationship - accounting for plating as well...

Regards,

Andre

No matter how you slice it, this is a big model:eek...I always come back to my measuring tape to wrap my head around the shear size of it. Glad the project is still ongoing (couldn't live without the updates;))

The reference that this thread is generating is fantastic. Tons of photos and the 3D stuff is amazing.
I'm dying to see the build finally begin!

Hi to all, and thanks for all the great work everyone is putting in.
I've been having a close look at the the cockpit tunnel but I cant work out if the majority is a perfect cylinder embedded in the hull, or if it is slightly flattened (ie circular or elliptical cross section). My Ertl (my best physical reference) looks eliptical, but on-screen it looks circular.

Thanks,

Bow

Hi to all, and thanks for all the great work everyone is putting in.
I've been having a close look at the the cockpit tunnel but I cant work out if the majority is a perfect cylinder embedded in the hull, or if it is slightly flattened (ie circular or elliptical cross section). My Ertl (my best physical reference) looks eliptical, but on-screen it looks circular.

Thanks,

Bow

Having stood in front of the actual miniature earlier this spring for several hours and having run many 3D solves ( feature point and surface mesh photogrammetry) from pictures I took, the cockpit tunnel is a cylinder of constant radius.

[video=vimeo;90426444]https://vimeo.com/90426444[/video]

Looking at only single still pictures, i.e the vintage MPC box art:

1979mpcboxmfsm.jpg

(Image Credit: milleniumfalcon.com)

I can see how one might perceive the cockpit tunnel to be elliptical. The perspective cues/lighting and a single novel point view can tend to skew one's perception a bit. In the end, a 3D/Binocular view helps to clarify...

Regards,

Andre

Thanks Andre, I thought that might be the case. It is difficult to eyeball with the rising/curved hull meeting the tube.
You've inspired me to make a 1/32 scale Millenium Falcon - my first scratch build. I've been scaling your dimensions by 1.735 and using cm rather than inches (1.735/2.54). It's a work in progress, but your dimensions are making it much easier.

Thanks again,

Bowdog

And another of those cool 3-D vid (so glad to stop here and get my glee seeing the great work you're doing!). :cool

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back