SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

Now that you've run out of things to do get a start on the 32" :devil

A shameless thread plug but that's been happening over here:

http://www.therpf.com/f11/millennium-falcon-parts-3d-printing-168520/

You can grab 32" ESB blueprints from my site. They aren't dimensioned, but they are the right scale in the PDF - so you can measure off that in Illustrator or some other vector editor.

Andre and I have been starting to coordinate our efforts (which hopefully excuses the thread highjacking).

Cheers,
J.

Hey Andre, I have a few questions about your plans and a few suggestions for improvements...not that you haven't done an outstanding job on them, they are almost perfect and I just want to help you get them there.

First a question, on your main hull diameter of 48" do you agree that it is the size including the hull plating and that the actual overhang is about .5" smaller and the base hull diameter is the 45" as you listed (making the overhang 1")?

Also, why do you feel the cockpit tube diameter is only 5.75", it seems slightly small and that 6" might work better? From what I see in reference it seems to be so, actually extending slightly below the lower overhang on the hull (yours is right even with it).

FalconCockpit5comp.jpg

Another improvement that I am positive is needed and I believe will fix the issues you were having with the cockpit not matching in the renders is that your cockpit cone is defiantly too short by about .25" I would say. Adding that much would bring it much closer to matching the references.

And speaking of the cockpit tube that extends onto the hull, it looks to be too thin (not wide enough) especially near the turret were it joins the hull. It needs to be about .25 -.35" wider towards the docking tube (not sure what to call it).

I tried to show what I mean here...[EDIT] I have actually decided to move the cockpit slightly closer to the body than is shown here (can't change attachments) so it is .125" wider on both sides and not only to one side like shown.

ANH_MF_TOP_001_edit.jpg

...can't wait to see what you and maruska come up with!

Last edited:
ChrisGFX: Yup, working on 'em as I write this. I'll post proposed dimensions for review soon.

Regards,

Andre

Hey Andre, I have a few questions about your plans and a few suggestions for improvements...not that you haven't done an outstanding job on them, they are almost perfect and I just want to help you get them there.

First a question, on your main hull diameter of 48" do you agree that it is the size including the hull plating and that the actual overhang is about .5" smaller and the base hull diameter is the 45" as you listed (making the overhang 1")?

Also, why do you feel the cockpit tube diameter is only 5.75", it seems slightly small and that 6" might work better? From what I see in reference it seems to be so, actually extending slightly below the lower overhang on the hull (yours is right even with it).

View attachment 297099

Another improvement that I am positive is needed and I believe will fix the issues you were having with the cockpit not matching in the renders is that your cockpit cone is defiantly too short by about .25" I would say. Adding that much would bring it much closer to matching the references.

And speaking of the cockpit tube that extends onto the hull, it looks to be too thin (not wide enough) especially near the turret were it joins the hull. It needs to be about .25 -.35" wider towards the docking tube (not sure what to call it).

I tried to show what I mean here...[EDIT] I have actually decided to move the cockpit slightly closer to the body than is shown here (can't change attachments) so it is .125" wider on both sides and not only to one side like shown.

View attachment 297121

In regard to why Andre is using 5 3/4" dia for the cockpit, well, that would come from my findings in building my cockpit tube/cone.
I did exhaustive research & testing on the 3 different sized tubes I thought could have been contenders ( these were 5 1/2", 5 3/4", & 6").
Only the 5 3/4" tube came up trumps in all respects. All the donor parts fit as they should, even lining up with the 9 holes & the tell-tale Bandai
1/24 Panther strips. 6" tube just did not work, too big.
You have to remember to account for the extra plating on the tube & other details which may distort it in some ref to appear 6".
Until you can prove 6" works, I feel my findings are correct!.
Kit parts don't lie, they are our friends & most times the only way to find a true size of something.

I like how the tube size fits on Andre's blueprints, works for me so far!.
Stu

View attachment 297099

View attachment 297121

imurme: Thank you very much for the comments and suggestions.

The 48" diameter was supposed to denote the furthest extent of the thin-section acrylic dome and not the plating. I'd planned to add that layer of geometry at a later time and certainly during the actual build. You may be right that the diameter is a little too big. I need to analyze some of the angles that really get in there and see if the acrylic is peeking out here or there to see what is going on.

With respect to the cockpit diameter, I went with Stu's extensive research, work and end results. The plating does add quite a bit of thickness and needs to be accounted for. At the end of the day, I agree with Stu that the donor kit parts are the key to divining the most accurate results. Reference images can be misleading and throwing in the 3D/CG variable into things (as I have) can lead one astray even faster.

Regarding the cockpit length, the form I have in the overall model does not include the front window - which appears to be approximately 1/4" thick (highlighted in red).

MF_cockpitNose_001.jpg

I should probably add it sooner rather than later as it adds so much to the overall cockpit form.

As for the cockpit tunnel and how it sits relative to the dome section – yes, that’s an area I was not as certain about when drafting things up. There are complex intersections and form relationships that should iron out with some more work and certainly during the build.

Thanks again for the feedback! I appreciate it…

Regards,

Andre

This is a fantastic project! So glad I stumbled upon this one relatively early. I look forward to watching your progress. Very impressive!

Hello Sir,

Thank you so much for your fantastic work. Every update is a christmas day for me and for several other members here for sure. Just for fun, I have begun to draw our loving Falcon with your measurements and here what its give:

Sans-titre-1.gif

Just like imurme, I have found the same difference on the area where the hull meet the cockpit. I can't say where the problem comes from, but I have the feeling that extra plating will not be the only solution. I can't wait to see your next updates and new measurements :cheers

Thank you again

Last edited:
Hello Sir,

Thank you so much for your fantastic work. Every update is a christmas day for me and for several other members here for sure. Just for fun, I have begun to draw our loving Falcon with your measurements and here what its give:

View attachment 298587

Just like imurme, I have found the same difference on the area where the hull meet the cockpit. I can't say where the problem comes from, but I have the feeling that extra plating will not be the only solution. I can't wait to see your next updates and new measurements :cheers

Thank you again

Blackbeardcrazy, your attachment does not seem to be working, could you try again? Would love to see what you have done.

Not to try to sidetrack a valiant effort. But I don't think that color chart will work that well.
The model looks so different under many lighting conditions. I believe it was Floquil grime and white.
Not completely sure. Have to look at my old files again

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back