SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

And I'm subscribed! Really like your approach to modeling and your willingness to share your ideas, this is what makes this forum so great. Thanks Andre!

Derek

Happy New Year everyone!

Finally ready to post some more progress on the ANH 5' MF core form survey. Still a work in progress (subtle lens distortion/3D track issues, more modeling/tweaks) - but I am getting very close...

ANH_MF_workInProgress_001.jpg

ANH_MF_workInProgress2_001.jpg

Within the next week, I'll be publishing an overall initial blueprint dimension proposal for everyone to review.

Staying on target...

Regards,

Andre

Me too, I can't wait to see what you get for the hull dome diameter and hight. I'm sure your precise and detailed approach will give us the definitive set of dimensions.

My apologies for the delay. I wanted to start posting further progress about 2 weeks ago but I was not happy enough with the overall measurement survey and corroboration results.

Much happier now...

Tomorrow, I will post my initial ANH MF dimensions for review - for the moment, some initial renders of the overall proposed core form:

view2_color.jpgview3_color.jpgview1_color.jpg

Regards,

Andre

Clearly you have put a lot of effort into this Andre, yeah, be keen to see dimensions you come up with.
The pics look the part though, the overall shape appears very good, just what I would expect a 'naked' Falcon to look like.
Be great to compare notes with you, thanks so much for doing this & sharing Andre.:)

Stu

crackerjazz: Thank you!...but, I bet you're closer than you think!

joberg: My pleasure - it has been fun but a heck of a challenge, so far. The initial dimensions I will propose are but estimates and I welcome any and all feedback.

Stu: Thank you very much. I appreciate your comments on your overall feel of the gesture of the form, so to speak. I 'snapped' my CG render cameras to the following three iconic images as a comparison:

theTrio.jpg

I still need a few more days until I can publish the orthogonal measurements - Modo and Photoshop are not as facile in this regard as Autocad or an equivalent.

I appreciate everyone's patience.

What I have tonight is my overall blueprint layout:

MF_pentaptych_001.jpg

Measurements next...

Thank you.

Andre

Last edited:
I must say it's the first time that, when I saw those profiles, I said to myself: it's the MF! Very cool indeed:cool

You have my interest, sir! I've been hoping someone would take this approach for a long time.

If you plan to do any more photogrammetry, might I recommend using video (broken down to frame by frame) taken of the 5' model on display? With many more stills, closer together, I've seen very fine results compared to the usual handful of photos.

either way, can't wait to see more!

ChrisGFX, joberg, crackerjazz: Thank you!

jawsmodels: Thank you! BTW – I’ll give the profiles to you. I’ve learned so much on this forum and would like to ‘pay it forward’, so to speak.

Kyuzo: Thank you – glad to hear you’re into photogrammetry. One tool of many…

Qrest Fourstar: Thanks – glad you found it!

SteveStarkiller: Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I have extracted frames from video/film footage. It’s something we do here at the studio a lot for VFX work. I find, however, that at the stage I’m at now – I’m within an 1/8 “ or smaller on many of my dimensions and the high resolution stills provide the detail required to discern subtle detail, edges, form breaks etc.

That said, I’ll even digitize a shot from the film to help me establish and/or confirm shape relationships.

For example, the 6” diameter radar dish and base:

https://vimeo.com/87213359

(BTW - very close with the overall proposed blueprints, just finishing up the rear engine landing gear box structure – thanks for the patience.)

Regards,

André

Last edited:
This really is incredibly work, I love the analytical stuff! Turns out that the original motion picture photography is a prime candidate for photogrammetry, given then fact that the models themselves usually didn't change their position with respect to the lights.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back