SW – ANH (5 Foot) - Studio Scale Millennium Falcon Build

I'm really surprised no one has built a full scale falcon yet. I know Chris Lee has been talking about it for years, but has only come up with a cockpit and a few odds and ends.

Yeah, I know, right?

I've supported Chris and his team with CAD models for a while now, but I'm itching to see the big plan - where will it live, how will it be maintained, etc...

I kinda hope that Abrams will use the full scale set from VII at some Disney exhibit.

I'm really surprised no one has built a full scale falcon yet. I know Chris Lee has been talking about it for years, but has only come up with a cockpit and a few odds and ends.

Yeah, I know, right?

I've supported Chris and his team with CAD models for a while now, but I'm itching to see the big plan - where will it live, how will it be maintained, etc...

I kinda hope that Abrams will use the full scale set from VII at some Disney exhibit.

There have been projects for a full scale X-wing, which seems to me as something that actually could be done. Or a Y-wing (yes, please!). There's been a couple of full size TIE's and at least one X-wing (why was it parked with the S-foils deployed?) built, but they weren't actually full size, right?

A full size Millennium Falcon is such a gargantuan build that I doubt one will be seen any time soon. The Full Scale Millennium Falcon project, as you mentioned, however, is fantastic. I love to see it proceed, but thinking about the time spent on it and what's still left to do... They need an eccentric millionaire to help them a little.

There have been projects for a full scale X-wing, which seems to me as something that actually could be done. Or a Y-wing (yes, please!). There's been a couple of full size TIE's and at least one X-wing (why was it parked with the S-foils deployed?) built, but they weren't actually full size, right?

A full size Millennium Falcon is such a gargantuan build that I doubt one will be seen any time soon. The Full Scale Millennium Falcon project, as you mentioned, however, is fantastic. I love to see it proceed, but thinking about the time spent on it and what's still left to do... They need an eccentric millionaire to help them a little.

Quick! Call Elon Musk!!

not to derail the the thread further, but... this is what I've designed so far for the Fullscale Falcon project. This is all designed at 1:1 scale, and is awaiting a structural engineer (and Elon Musk).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mz-hv8FfYQ

Going in the Falcon in one camera take in SW:TFA would look super, as it does in that wonderful clip, I hope they do it.

Anyway, I'm still super fascinated with the 5 footer, I can honestly say that I do not have it in me to build one, but it doesn't stop me being excited to seeing new posts. Each time.

Ps. Elon Musk is THE eccentric billionaire who is actually working on a real spaceship. I wonder, would he ever get kicks from a fictional one? :D

I have a question, Watching Stevestarkiller's renders and videos and comparing his work with the reference photos from the 5 footer i noticed that there is a missing ring-ish part in the antenna of the ship (Steve included it though). While it appears in the movie its missing from the model.
Is it common knowledge or there are more missing parts?

-Angel

I have a question, Watching Stevestarkiller's renders and videos and comparing his work with the reference photos from the 5 footer i noticed that there is a missing ring-ish part in the antenna of the ship (Steve included it though). While it appears in the movie its missing from the model.
Is it common knowledge or there are more missing parts?

-Angel

Yes it's quite common knowledge that many bits and pieces have fallen/broken off the original filming model over the years. Matter of fact, Master Replicas did a complete scan of the original 32" model and built their replica based on those scans before one of the guys involved in the project realized that many of the bits and pieces are missing and has decided to replace them in a new DeAgostini kit that I personally am waiting for. However, there are different versions of the falcon you may not be aware of. The falcon with the ring on the dish is actually that of the 5 footer that was built. The 32" inch version never had that little ring and there are many other differences between the two that are hard to spot without a trained eye. The reason for this is the first falcon built was the 5 footer... They put a tremendous amount of work and detail into it... however during filming they realized it was too big and heavy to get shots that required a much more nimble ship, so the 32" incher was constructed, but that began a whole whole level of problems seeing as many of the model kit parts taht were used on the original 5 footer couldn't be found in a smaller scale for the 32" incher, they had to make a compromise and fudged alot of the details. IT still looks roughly the same but to us with OCD, it drives us crazy and we can spot the differences with ease! Hope that helps!

Yes it's quite common knowledge that many bits and pieces have fallen/broken off the original filming model over the years. Matter of fact, Master Replicas did a complete scan of the original 32" model and built their replica based on those scans before one of the guys involved in the project realized that many of the bits and pieces are missing and has decided to replace them in a new DeAgostini kit that I personally am waiting for. However, there are different versions of the falcon you may not be aware of. The falcon with the ring on the dish is actually that of the 5 footer that was built. The 32" inch version never had that little ring and there are many other differences between the two that are hard to spot without a trained eye. The reason for this is the first falcon built was the 5 footer... They put a tremendous amount of work and detail into it... however during filming they realized it was too big and heavy to get shots that required a much more nimble ship, so the 32" incher was constructed, but that began a whole whole level of problems seeing as many of the model kit parts taht were used on the original 5 footer couldn't be found in a smaller scale for the 32" incher, they had to make a compromise and fudged alot of the details. IT still looks roughly the same but to us with OCD, it drives us crazy and we can spot the differences with ease! Hope that helps!

Yes and yes!

My project originally started as a 32" ESB build. Then when I got deeper into it, I saw how much had changed when they scaled it down. It's just NOT same. The 32" is very stocky looking. The 5' ANH model is very sleek.

So I've changed my goals to make a half scale ANH Falcon and 3d print the bits that aren't available at the right scale...

As for lost parts. Look at any of the higher resolution photos floating around and you'll see plenty of primer-colored ghosts of parts gone missing from years of handling.

That ring is a railing from the SeaLab kit, I think...

J.

It's the other way around. The 5' Falcon is a lot chunkier and the 32" is slimmer.

The 32" is very stocky looking. The 5' ANH model is very sleek.

Yes it is. There are 2 of these parts per kit and are part of the top hatch railing. However, the actual part though is not a complete circle so ILM may have used a styrene cut out to make it a complete circle or used two parts to make it.

That ring is a railing from the SeaLab kit, I think...

Really? Proportionately, the 32" has shorter mandibles, a taller sidewall and a fatter cockpit tube. Also the vent rings are smaller than they should be. I always thought it made it look inflated and dumpy - with the exception of the 32" domes being more of a conic shape...

Amazing! Its funny how this particular part is not visible that is missing from the model (glue or some marks maybe) :p

-Angel

Really? Proportionately, the 32" has shorter mandibles, a taller sidewall and a fatter cockpit tube. Also the vent rings are smaller than they should be. I always thought it made it look inflated and dumpy - with the exception of the 32" domes being more of a conic shape...

Question, so how much of a difference is there in each of these measures (I guess you have to assume they are the same scale first)?

I thought you were referring to the shape of the hulls rather than overall proportions.

So unhappy with Autodesk. Just got an email saying they're taking Inventor Fusion down from the app store. Fusion 360 may be all that and a bag of chips, but I hate the idea of being forced to save my stuff to a $25/month cloud with no local copies. I much prefer saving to my DropBox folder on my hard drive, which syncs to my 1 TB account. Add in Time Machine, and I have redundant backups of everything I do.

Anyway, I'm going to keep using Inventor Fusion, support or no, and that's what I'll be doing my kit parts with. First up will be the Saturn V 2nd stage engine cone, the one that's on the radar dish (and every other SF model ever made, apparently). :) Nice way to ease into a new modeling package. Just have to find the actual time to do it...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back