Symbiote Spider-man suit for halloween

OneGoodScare

so for halloween this year i decided to make a symbiote spidey, i figured its simple and cost-effective, and i love the suit.
I started with a black morphsuit
black_1.jpg
then i followed in spideysparrows footsteps and made my own lenses rather than waste some tjacks on a crappy suit. Using sculpy and a tracing of the ASM2 lenses i made these
2d829bf8-cfa7-45ee-a544-770d23f1d9e4_zpsd7997edc.jpg

they were very rough but i sanded them down as much as i could. I learned that i shoulda smoothed them out before baking instead of relying on the sanding cuz they still came out a bit rough. This is after a coat of acrylic paint and some white spray paint on the mesh i got off an old piano i had lying around. Although they're not perfect, these lenses were really cool just to hold in front of me haha. Thanks to spideysparrow for the inspiration
4a98ccd3-a089-4175-9340-94db73664eb7_zps2f7c1a0c.jpg

and using a mask i had lying around that had a sort of faceshell shape to it, i glued on the lenses best i could, at first i freaked thinking i messed up but i just had to adjust the mask a bit..
977a6f68-fde3-4c71-ad1a-3e1285ffa0a0_zps4a63bd9b.jpg

next i needed to figure out the spider. I figured that i could make a stencil out of paper, pin it on the suit on a cardboard dummy and spray paint it on. Here's the stencil which i made by gluing three pieces of paper basically the size of my chest and stomach and then tracing the symbol onto it from my laptop. I actually spliced two different symbols together; the top part for the legs and the bottom for the abdomen part. That was my ideal symbol and it has a bit of an ultimate look to it.
5b5fe29f-ace2-4273-b866-7de7af3ef5c9_zps7760acf7.jpg

however, the spray painting failed completely and i ended up with this:
b27fed38-2d5c-4a9e-9e3f-1380ff81b61d_zps112af6a5.jpg

This actually looked alot worse, if you look close you can see all kinds of sharpie streaks where i tried to fix the bad spray paint job. Also the abdomen part is a bit more painted with a paint marker (which I gave up on because it would have taken too long and would have been uneven) so that looked worse as well. In the meantime I added some black safety pins to the arms to make it tighter and more form fitting to me, which was pretty effective, as well as finally make the holes behind the lenses which i kept forgetting to do.
fae2daa9-82f4-41ed-bacd-b5cd89379697_zpsc808d10f.jpg

So then I thought that i'd go with making the symbol out of foam. I found some foam workout belt and decided to use that. I spliced the symbol again on paper and cut out the symbol this time instead of making a stencil, then traced it out on the foam and cut. I cut off the sides with the arms because it'd make gluing easier and probably add a bit of flexibility. So far i've only glued the body because i ran out of loctite (which is amazing!), and my gorilla glue just didnt wanna stick.
754ecb8d-142f-4f5c-9304-48862f0569dc_zpsdaf630af.jpg

3c66ae29-03e1-4a6a-8364-253c7da4dc87_zpse564fa35.jpg

and finally the foam spider (the method i shoulda used all along):
baa40184-1bed-4ba7-ba43-79bbcb6aa190_zps72c3991c.jpg

So althogh what shoulda been a simple build got a bit stressful, I have to say I learned quite a bit and had fun making this..even though it's not done :p
But the gluing shouldn't take long hopefully lol
and also the piece i've been forgetting, the webshooter and the back of the hand needs to be done so we'll see how that all goes tomorrow but thats it's for tonight whewww

woo at least one reply :p well here's the finished suit, had it done for halloween. I was pretty satisfied even though its no where near the best, but i got alot of compliments and smiles from kiddos so thats all that counts :p plus i got the ultimate vibe that i was going for
b870dfe5-25c4-4419-9b15-96a0b2ab48ea_zps575d2c1c.jpg

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back