Jawa mask, real amber eyes with led

Mandelstam

Just wanted to show a jawa mask I did for my son a while ago. The whole costume is nearly finished, just need a weapon or caller and it's done.

For the mask I wanted to make it more "authentic" and less "prop". So I wanted to make the eyes more in the line with the mythology where they are polished gem stones that protect their eyes from sunlight. I started out with a cheap Jason mask (just thin flimsy plastic) and covered the eyes with pieces from the wives nylon stockings. The front of the mask was then covered with ripped heavy black fabric in just a random criss crossed manor.

I had two pieces of baltic amber that I wanted to use for the eyes. Amber comes in all colors and opaqueness, from bone white to dark reddish brown, from totally opaque to almost like glass. The pieces I had were a nice honey color and even though they had the raw weathered opaque surface the inside were just translucent enough to let light pass through it.

I wired the eyes and mask with three white leds for each eye. I went with three more for the even spread of light in the eyes than for the amount of light. The wires is collected into a thin wire cover which leads to the battery that can be placed in a pocket. I drilled holes into the back of the amber and glued the leds in place.
IMG_20130127_151135.jpg IMG_20130127_151036.jpg

A test of the wiring and the eyes. Before this I wasn't sure the amber would light up enough as the surface is really weathered and crusty. But it worked out fine! :)
IMG_20130127_151010.jpg

A few photos with the hood on.
IMG_20130127_190729.jpg IMG_20130127_190821.jpg 1379508_10151719647744327_706387187_n.jpg

/M

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back