Painting fake rust on a bike

ChevyM14

This is not a move prop but more of using "movie magic" to make a new bike look worn out and worthless so no one would want to steal it. anyway I got a new MTB bike cheep over the weekend at a swap meet to use as a around town bike. the only problem with it was that it looked to new and screamed "STEAL ME", so I did some painting over the weekend. I am not done but I am really happy with it so far. also this is just the first step I am going to take fine sand paper to everything to make it all look old. I am also thinking about painting fake oil drips on the fork to make it look like it is leaking oil. also am going to do some rust spots on the wheels and spokes, but that is going to be something for another weekend. what do you think?

IMAG2915.jpg

IMAG2940.jpg

IMAG2939.jpg

IMAG2937.jpg

IMAG2936.jpg

IMAG2935.jpg

IMAG2934.jpg

It's a good starting base for the rust color. If you want to go the extra mile, you should create a few layers/shades of the orangy-clay color. in various spots, even adding some more acrylic blacks/darker colors to simulate the dirt/earthly tones will help.

Sorta got that look going here on a helmet commission I recently finished

Attachments

• 1276608_10201128084420073_1851383761_o.jpg
    1276608_10201128084420073_1851383761_o.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 484
Maybe some hard water spots on the paint job? Should be easy enough to do with your hose (assuming you have hard water. I live in Utah, which is waaay hard)

You could place and weather some stickers on there as well.

Sent from my Nexus 4

A lot of thieves steal bikes just to get from one place to another.....they don't care about what the bike looks like, so I wish you luck with your endeavor. Better to remove the front wheel and take it with you. Alternate to that is to let the air out of one or both tires and pump them up when you return.(don't leave a pump on the bike) You will reduce the desirability of the bike by your paint job but I wouldn't be lulled into false feelings of security. Run your idea past a cop and be prepared for hilarious laughter to ensue. I will say that if you want a deterrent paint job, paint it pink with white bunnies every few inches, ha! At least it will be unique and easily identifiable from a block away.....unfortunately, rusty bikes of the real sort are fairly common. The stickers are a good thought since it will give it a unique touch that is easily identified and hard to paint over without an identifiable outline showing up. In case it is stolen, you can paint your name in an invisible ink on the frame. It shows up only under U.V. light.Good luck ,I applaud your effort.

the paint job is only one puzzle piece. the other piece is more then one LOCK! (a good U lock and a wheel (ring)lock and cable).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back