ShaunDark80's Iron Man MKVII - Previously know as Roomiest Iron Man

Re: Roomiest Iron Man

Shaun, i did the fibreglassing on the abs and chest/back this weekend. absolutly no problem. No distortion, bubbling what so ever.
I say HAIL to SINTRA!
easy to work with, easy detailing, already pretty strong and when fibreglassed.. you only need 1 coat.. its strong enough.

Shaun, i did the fibreglassing on the abs and chest/back this weekend. absolutly no problem. No distortion, bubbling what so ever.
I say HAIL to SINTRA!
easy to work with, easy detailing, already pretty strong and when fibreglassed.. you only need 1 coat.. its strong enough.

Great news! Glad it worked out OK. I look forward to seeing some pictures.

How does sintra and fiberglass stand up to a hot car? Is one layer of glass thick enough to help jeep the shape in the heat?

i ask because I live in a desert...

I'm back!

Spent the weekend 3D printing an arm;

Upper-Arm.jpg

There's a video of the elbow joint working here;

I'm planning to print the rest of the suit, as my original pep suit no longer fits (it's too loose now :) ). I'll start drawing it in Autodesk 123D, and will hopefully smooth it in Blender.

I'll keep to posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

nice job.. and even nicer that you have your 3D printer to use now..

as far as electronics go...

IMHO.. it -should- be VERY VERY cheap to get a basic system going.

Helmet should be roughly $25 USD.. (depending on what you use for a hinge set-up)

extras, like video goggles and doing back flaps..etc obviously increases the cost....

servos will probably take up the most room, unless used in conjunction with some other hardware so it can placed/secured elsewhere..

looking forward to the 'new' suit.

nice job.. and even nicer that you have your 3D printer to use now..

as far as electronics go...

IMHO.. it -should- be VERY VERY cheap to get a basic system going.

Helmet should be roughly $25 USD.. (depending on what you use for a hinge set-up)

extras, like video goggles and doing back flaps..etc obviously increases the cost....

servos will probably take up the most room, unless used in conjunction with some other hardware so it can placed/secured elsewhere..

looking forward to the 'new' suit.

The electronics are all done :)

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend you learn it anyway. It may look complicated at first, but once you know your way around, it's great. There's tons of tutorials on youtube. Here's a guide thingy I wrote: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=250246

If you decide do give it a try, I'd be happy to answer questions.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Speaking of 3D software..

I have been meaning to 'jump in' as well..

Cost aside.. what would be the difference in say learning something like Blender vs say.... Solidworks?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back