ShaunDark80's Iron Man MKVII - Previously know as Roomiest Iron Man

Re: Roomiest Iron Man

Legs are done, and are drying from their first layer of fibreglass. Have used Mat for most of the main structure, and will use cloth around the edges to hopefully reduce the chances of getting stabbed.
2014-06-29 10.44.26.jpg

And the four suit control systems are pretty much done;
2014-06-30 14.55.52.jpg
Top left is the chest repulsor controller. I was going to run out of battery pretty quick with the lamp I've got, but an arduino running a fade loop between medium-high brightness more than tripled my runtime.

Top right is the helmet controller. This has an adxl335 to detect helmet angle, and open/close the faceplate and power up/down the eyes as required. It also powers the helmet camera. I would have liked to power up/down the camera and goggles from this board, but I ran out of time.

The bottom two are my hand repulsor controllers. Again I have an adxl335 accelerometer mounted to the back of each hand lamp (see below) which measures my hand angle to determine whether to power up, power down, or fire.

2014-06-30 15.05.31.jpg

The hand controllers and batteries should be mounted in my back, with cables running down my arms. The chest system will be mounted directly in my chest, and the helmet should hopefully be a completely self contained unit.

Now just to build the rest of the suit!

Made up a small cf plate to mount the servo mechanism to. That way I can remove all the bits that don't need painting prior to paint.

image.jpg

I've also glued a couple of stupidly strong magnets to the mechanism to hang the faceplate from.

Pep upper forearm on the left. PVC waste pipe on the right......

image.jpg

They don't taper in, but neither do my arms, so they'll do.

Abs done.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Just a bicep and both elbows to pep, one boot to cast, and then the rest of the fibreglassing, filling and painting to do before Saturday morning........ :wacko

And the flaps! I keep forgetting the damned flaps!

Last edited:

Well I missed the deadline, so didn't get to wear the MKVII to LFCC. I was pretty annoyed about it, but LFCC was an oven, and I'd have had a miserable time in a rushed together suit.

So the new plan is to not have a deadline. I'm going to take my time, make every part look as good as I can, then cast it, and remake in CF or Kevlar. I want a suit that will both look good, and last a long time.

For now, I'm just going to take a bit of time away from the build, enjoy the hot weather with my family, and catch up on the sleep I've been missing. And while I rest, so will the MKVII;

2014-07-10 22.21.52.jpg

So can I hire you to build the electronics for my suit? Lol very impressive work sir.

Give it a go yourself - The arduino is surprisingly straightforward to learn, and with a breadboard, and a few inexpensive components you should be able to figure out most of the suit electronics.

I started applying filler and did a bit of sanding yesterday. It may be time to resume work on the build..........

Wow Shaun, you are really racing right now.
Cant wait to see my peaces on a finished suite!

Looking forward!

- - - Updated - - -

Shaun, you also used Sintra (hardfoam PVC) as material right?
Im building the MK43 in this material. Really quick building.
Does the Fibreglas resin stick well???

Shaun, you also used Sintra (hardfoam PVC) as material right?
Im building the MK43 in this material. Really quick building.
Does the Fibreglas resin stick well???

Beware foamboard and resin - The resin melted quite a bit of the foam, so I'm having to fill and sand everything.

How bad is it? Maybe your mix was to hot... to much hardner
I am planning to coat the outside just with a little resin, to get les soft surface.
The inside will be with fibreglassed and resin.

What would you suggest?

Great build so far! I do have a question about the electronics as well, that seems to be the hardest part for me personally. How much would you say you spend on the electronics in the helmet?

How bad is it? Maybe your mix was to hot... to much hardner
I am planning to coat the outside just with a little resin, to get les soft surface.
The inside will be with fibreglassed and resin.

What would you suggest?

It seemed bad enough that I nearly binned the lot. Some parts are salvageable, but others need to be redone from scratch. Luckily, the back, thighs and cod look repairable.

I'd probably make a few test pieces first. The parts that suffered the most were the compound curves which had a lot of scoring on the back. the resin soaked in, then started to eat the styrene. Perhaps a layer of pva could stop this?

I'm going to sand back all the damaged areas, fill with bondo, and then make moulds of everything so I can make the final suit as light as possible. I also want to make each piece as pretty as I can so that they're not completely outclassed by your neck brace :)

Glad to see you're back on the build. I'm going to need some inspiration during the long winter nights filled with sanding and filing ahead of me.

Great build so far! I do have a question about the electronics as well, that seems to be the hardest part for me personally. How much would you say you spend on the electronics in the helmet?

Hi IronMeg

The biggest cost for my helmet electronics were the video goggles - I got them second hand, but they were still £130.

The 3D printed servo mechanism was £70, but there are plenty of DIY hinges that work just as well for a much lower cost.

The rest of the electronics including the arduino came in for less than £80, but I did bulk buy a lot of the smaller components for use in future projects.

This is easily the most complicated bit of electronics I've done, but it wasn't too difficult. Have a look at http://www.therpf.com/f78/iron-man-...cs-tutorial-170853/?highlight=helmet+tutorial , which has several really detailed (but not too scary) circuit designs for the servo and eye controls. If you're not sure what a component does, take the time to either read up on it, or just watch some Youtube videos. Relays, transistors, resistors and regulators are all fairly common in most electronics projects, and understanding roughly what they can and can't do will give you loads of ideas on how to design your systems.

I'd say the best thing you can start with is the Arduino. There are lots of other microcontrollers that can do the same job, but the vast library of example projects for the Arduino really make things easy. You'll have LEDs fading and flashing in no time.

Hope you have fun with it!

Yes you're right. I will run some test. Would be a shame if all the work would be for nothing. But its reallly a great material for the details and sharp edges.

Yes ive got some new motivation now with this new building method. Im just hoping the FG-stage would not demotivate me.
I am building the MK43 now. (mk42 with new paint sceme.

It seemed bad enough that I nearly binned the lot. Some parts are salvageable, but others need to be redone from scratch. Luckily, the back, thighs and cod look repairable.

I'd probably make a few test pieces first. The parts that suffered the most were the compound curves which had a lot of scoring on the back. the resin soaked in, then started to eat the styrene. Perhaps a layer of pva could stop this?

I'm going to sand back all the damaged areas, fill with bondo, and then make moulds of everything so I can make the final suit as light as possible. I also want to make each piece as pretty as I can so that they're not completely outclassed by your neck brace :)

Glad to see you're back on the build. I'm going to need some inspiration during the long winter nights filled with sanding and filing ahead of me.

Hi IronMeg

The biggest cost for my helmet electronics were the video goggles - I got them second hand, but they were still £130.

The 3D printed servo mechanism was £70, but there are plenty of DIY hinges that work just as well for a much lower cost.

The rest of the electronics including the arduino came in for less than £80, but I did bulk buy a lot of the smaller components for use in future projects.

This is easily the most complicated bit of electronics I've done, but it wasn't too difficult. Have a look at http://www.therpf.com/f78/iron-man-...cs-tutorial-170853/?highlight=helmet+tutorial , which has several really detailed (but not too scary) circuit designs for the servo and eye controls. If you're not sure what a component does, take the time to either read up on it, or just watch some Youtube videos. Relays, transistors, resistors and regulators are all fairly common in most electronics projects, and understanding roughly what they can and can't do will give you loads of ideas on how to design your systems.

I'd say the best thing you can start with is the Arduino. There are lots of other microcontrollers that can do the same job, but the vast library of example projects for the Arduino really make things easy. You'll have LEDs fading and flashing in no time.

Hope you have fun with it!

Thanks for the info!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back