ANH Death Star Turret Builder's Guide

moffeaton

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
All right gang, here's the thread for Wasili's kit and the parts we had Mike Salzo cast! I'll start in on the build guide tomorrow - here's where I am right now! NOTE - we have found a few stragglers so far that Mike will need to mold/cast and send to you guys. Those that already paid/have the parts in hand will be getting a little "care package" from Mike, and those who come after will get it all at once. Pretty awesome of Mike to do this for us!!

PA270005.jpg

looking awesome ,

already have the parts from Mike Salzo cast, still waiting for Wasili's incredible kit , I am trying to get in contact with you , please when you have the time , if possible give me a feedback to the pm that I send
thanks in advance

thanks Jason for the feedback ,I am a follower and a big fan of your incredible work

any chance to make another run ?:cry

Wow !!!!! Heart beating faster... blood pressure rising... eyes opening....very very cool. I , too, have Mikes pieces. Just waiting on Wasili's kit , too. Then I will have to find someone skilled (Jason), amazing (Jason),astounding (Jason) and talented (Jason), to build it for me...Anyone? Anyone? (Jason)???????

Hit me up in five years when I have free time? LOL...

Okay, here's the first gun's foundations. If I make a mistake along the way, someone please tell me:

Slide Wasili's pre-built boxes onto the Plastruct tube. He really can't have made this any easier for us!!
PA270007.jpg

I looked at the pic ref and left about this much space between the cut outs and the one box:
PA270009.jpg

Back box gets centered with the space you have left....
PA270010.jpg

Greeblies for the front:
PA270004.jpg

Greeblies for the bottom:
PA270003.jpg

Greeblies for the port side:
PA270002.jpg

Greeblies for the top side:
PA270001.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

You'll have to cut the road wheel "gear" down some, along the inside circumference, to allow the Plastruct rods to fit (pics coming soon, when I finish that bit!)

For once the head ruled the heart (I have no space, and too many builds in the pipeline), so I didn't put my name down. Of course I'm regretting it now as this looks completely AWESOME. Go Jason, Go.

I have a m4/3 Olympus OM-D, but the studio camera (that I don't mind getting a little dusty) is a Leica D Lux 4. Great older point and shoot!

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly can't remember which one I used for those shots, lol.

Okay, top box - glue the top and sides together as shown. Leave off the back. Wasili recommends you not glue the base "frame" at this point but I didn't know that at the time, but I think it's okay? As you can see, I shored the seams up from the inside with Apoxie Sculpt, Probably not necessary, but I am a paranoid fella. You can practically sit on it now!
L1130645.jpg

L1130646.jpg

L1130647.jpg

L1130648.jpg

The next day, glue in the side gun well strips as shown - there will be only one way they fit, as both sides are not the same dimensions. So dry fit and pay attention! Again, I shored it up with Apoxie Sculpt. Let this all dry/cure over night before the next step....
L1130649.jpg

L1130650.jpg

L1130651.jpg

Base instructions coming shortly!
Pew pew pew!
L1130644.jpg

Man that's a beautiful box! Really well thought out. Great job guys.

I'm looking forward to how you handle the pivots of the turret and guns. And recoil. It's that internal armature thingy that'll be tricky. Do you have the pivot point for the guns solved at this stage?

Until I get the damn missing bits in the mail for the RC gear, I am not addressing it, past my vague plan:

Make a structure to mount the barrel sleeves. Servo will sit in/on this structure and will drive the recoil. Servo for elevation will mount to the main hinged structure, and that whole thing will rotate curtesy of the rotation servo! LOL... all I know is that I'll laser cut a lot of acrylic. Wheeee!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back