ANH Death Star Turret Builder's Guide

Jason, I have some questions, if it isn't too difficult to answer or point me in the right direction for answers.

Is any of that equipment from an RC tank kit? I notice that you made a simple sliding lever mechanism using a servo for the recoil movement. Can you point towards anything useful in understanding how to program all of that? I'm not quite sure where to start learning how to make that. I assume the recoil, sound, remote and elevation controls might be taken from a tank kit, but I don't think you did it that way.

Just looked online. I'm thinking the thousand bucks for most tamiya RC tanks might be a deterrent.

Thanks for showing the mechanism! It helps a lot just to see that much. Great stuff!

So it's looking like what I got is going to work, so this might answer your questions. Expect to spend around $400 or so:

I got the following from Curtis at Immortal Hobbies: info@immortalhobbies.com - he could help you get the same thing (tell him I sent you):
Clark TK22 board (customized by the maker to include the sound effects)
Turnigy 9X radio
Battery
Gearbox from a tank (this provides rotation)
Speaker
Receiver

From Tower Hobbies I had to get:
Hitec HS-755HB Giant Scale Karbonite Gear 2BB Servo (I got two - one for recoil and one for elevation)

Duratrax Onyx 210 AC/DC Peak Charger w/LCD

I also got a single pole switch for on/off, and I had to get a Potentiometer as well:
10K Ohm Potentiometer: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Ah, ok. Thanks. And to make it all do what you need it to do, does it require using a computer to talk to it somehow? A mac hopefully?!

BTW: sent out greeblie care package today by USPS.

Sweet!
No - you just plug it all in, swear some, make sure the radio is paired to the reciever, try again, and it works... But seriously - out of the box it should all work (you're paying Clark for the programming!)

When it's all done, I'll label a pic so you can follow along.

Ah cool! Plug and play is nice! Thanks.

Combining the electronics with Wasili's flawless kit and Mike Salzo's parts, this is way cool!!

Lasercutting some mockups for the rotation rig...
IMG_7581.jpg

Any updates on this project? Has the care package been finalised or are ID's still occurring/pending?
Meanwhile, I'm playing with Arduino to figure out the guts!!
Cheers,
JT

Almost done with the molds for teh 2nd round of parts, there was a little more than i expected, and this seemingly never ending winter (20 degrees even this morning!!) has slowed me down on a number of fronts, so i am playing catch up all around. The weather looks to be finally turning a corner in the next week or so, so hopefully i will be able to rally a bit on all fronts. One of the issues with the small bits like these is that it needs to be warm to cast them, they are just too brittle when cured if my shop is cold, big stuff like the parts of the 3 foot galactica don't have that issue because of the mass of those parts, which is why I can still cast those thru the winter.

Understood, just getting to check PM's now. Like i said hopefully i can get some good burst of stuff done with the predicted warm weather. I need to get out of the north east, these winters are just sticking around way to long....
mike

Just to update everyone the follow up parts for the DS turret molds were finished just before WFest. Sorry it took so long, combination of winter, other projects and the amount of extra parts wound up delaying the parts. I am going to try to run 1 update kit per day while i am casting up other stuff. Likely will ship them in batches of 5 or 10 since it does not make sense for me to go to the post office everyday for the little packages, so will likely be about 2 weeks before the first batch goes out.
thanks
mike

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back