ANH Death Star Turret Builder's Guide

I always think about this line when I try to rectify these kinds of illogical things "Relax kid, it's only a movie!"

hardware_wars_3.jpg

Dave G's build gave me the push I needed to do what I was planning on eventually doing any way, I guess. It's designed in four segments that will stack, with the topmost being an extension of the existing turret Wasili routed in styrene. Topmost lip will be a panel line so when it's all stacked, the seam should be invisible for the transition from ILM-based tower to gigantic tower.

So it's early days for "phase two" of this build, but with any luck I'll be carting this to the model shows next year!

12339451_10153838347443156_7953281021320434922_o.jpg12339435_10153834464778156_1835994849340813817_o.jpg

Yah, but too hard to resist doing!

Also having these recent discoveries cast up, as I want the tower to have a few extras here and there, echoing the top elements.

IMG_6506.jpg

Dave G's build gave me the push I needed to do what I was planning on eventually doing any way, I guess. It's designed in four segments that will stack, with the topmost being an extension of the existing turret Wasili routed in styrene. Topmost lip will be a panel line so when it's all stacked, the seam should be invisible for the transition from ILM-based tower to gigantic tower.

So it's early days for "phase two" of this build, but with any luck I'll be carting this to the model shows next year!

View attachment 564288View attachment 564287

Nice! Glad I could inspire you with a little push. I've thought about adding the two bottom sections to my tower but then it would be 6 feet tall and almost as wide! Hard to find a place for it. Actually I was thinking about doing the five section tower that's also in the sketchbook.

Yah, but too hard to resist doing!

Also having these recent discoveries cast up, as I want the tower to have a few extras here and there, echoing the top elements.

View attachment 564472
Damn. I've been looking for those like crazy these last few weeks. Great to get a better look.
And don't forget the 1/48 Bandai Panther G part that is on the side of the K-123 part. Wasili mentioned it once, but it's not mapped and easy to overlook as there are only a few reference shots I've seen that show it.

Just touched base with Mike Salzo - he'll cast these newly found parts, the top "mystery plate" we found, and a few stragglers here and there that also were found, and after the holidays, he'll sell them to any one that wants.

$10 for the "missing pieces" and $20 if you want the "extension set" I've cooked up - just more Bandai 1/48 bits and some Sealab stuff, to keep things ANH-ish. Echoing parts on the turret itself, and other things I need multiples of.

Hey Guys, this last bit of found parts is really round 2 of additional stuff found. I already did a free update on stuff. I sent out a bunch of them and still have a bunch cast up. I am sure i missed a few people and a few got returned to me for the wrong address. So if you did not get the update PM me with your name and address.

I am not completely familiar with what all the donor parts are, i am just following what J sends me, so i apologize in advance if i am unable to answer what comes in the update kit, either the first or this new one. I am not building one of these for myself so i never studied the model much.

Hey Guys, this last bit of found parts is really round 2 of additional stuff found. I already did a free update on stuff. I sent out a bunch of them and still have a bunch cast up. I am sure i missed a few people and a few got returned to me for the wrong address. So if you did not get the update PM me with your name and address.

I am not completely familiar with what all the donor parts are, i am just following what J sends me, so i apologize in advance if i am unable to answer what comes in the update kit, either the first or this new one. I am not building one of these for myself so i never studied the model much.

Hey Mike, I'm still missing part #107

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=190799&page=5

Thank you !

The same for me mike I am missing part 107.....I would like to know when I will be able to get my panels? I got the parts kit but know panels!!!!!

I received my parts from Wasili about a month ago. So they are still going out. It was a long wait, but Wow are the parts amazing. I did the dry fit and now I'm working out internal engineering. Just simple mechanicals so it can be stop motion animated. Late December/early Jan is my slow time for work, so it's a binge build. I have all the parts I can ID pulled, so a set of casts of those final few bits would be huge.

Thanks Jason for the guide and the photos of your under-construction and finished build and to all who have contributed info, part IDs, casts and build inspiration.

IMG_1741small.jpg

Last I read he has stopped. Bit of a pain as I wasn't far on the list. I think he was giving the job to Nice-N but no idea when that might happen.

I received my parts from Wasili about a month ago. So they are still going out. It was a long wait, but Wow are the parts amazing. I did the dry fit and now I'm working out internal engineering. Just simple mechanicals so it can be stop motion animated. Late December/early Jan is my slow time for work, so it's a binge build. I have all the parts I can ID pulled, so a set of casts of those final few bits would be huge.

Thanks Jason for the guide and the photos of your under-construction and finished build and to all who have contributed info, part IDs, casts and build inspiration.

View attachment 564586

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back