Monogram Battlestar Galactica: TOS Galactica Build

pengbuzz

Sr Member
Okay, for some time, I knopw folks have had issues with Monogram's TOS Galactica kit (and with good reason: inaccuracies out the wazoo!). Recently though, I obtained a Monogram Galactica ('97 reissue) and set out to discover what was making it inaccurate.

Well, the list I compiled so far is:

1) Greeblie details are wrong on much of the ship

2) The "head" is too tall

3) Certain details are the wrong scale, incorrectly placed, or altogether wrong.

4) The launch tubes along the sides are too big

5) the detail for the aft engine area (near the very end) is incorrect

6) The middle landing bay pylon is one piece, when it is clearly two pieces per side

7) Speaking of the pylons, they are too thick height wise and too narrow width wise

8) The bridge is shaped wrong

9) The landing bay pod should not be open on the front end

10) The landing bay needs at least some kind of floor near the rear opening

11) The "neck" connecting the head to the rest of the hull is too narrow

12) The first dome on the main hull is too high and too big

13) The "inlets" on each side of the head are WAY too big and should have a bar across the top of them

14) From the top, the back of the head should angle towards the edges of the hull, not come out straight

15) The angles "stripes" on the top front of the head (near the bridge) are too far forward, causing the head to look even more out of proportion than it is

16)The detail on the sides of the neck and between the main hull and engine section are all wrong

Now, by no means is this an exhaustive list. That said, I went through a lot of work in my quest to accurize this model. Yeah, it might be easier to buy a Moebius TOS Galactica, but I like a challenge.

So, here are pics of what I have done so far:

100_5030_zps1cca9850.jpg

100_5031_zpsd2ebf4a5.jpg

100_5015_zps21b62f0e.jpg

100_5018_zps118e0a2f.jpg

100_5035_zps8e34d510.jpg

100_5020_zps83039665.jpg

100_5034_zpsd38c382a.jpg

100_5019_zpsc64d14d8.jpg

100_5045_zpsd771d8fb.jpg

100_5044_zpsa2af3bfc.jpg

100_5043_zpsa6c45a41.jpg

100_5037_zps708a0acb.jpg

What I have done so far is to cut down the sides of the head, remove much of the erroneous detail on the head and sides of landing bay pods, replace the first dome, glue new walls to the sides of the neck and to split the center pylon and completely rebuild the top portion and build new sidewalls for where I removed plastic.

And by the way: the tan areas are not resin parts.....

...they're masking tape.

I'll post an update when I can.

I'll be working on this when I can; they recently changed my hours at work, and between that and home, i have almost no spare time to myself.

I have a method of smoothing the tape texture that I will be demonstrating in the next few posts.

Stay tuned folks, this is gonna get interesting...

UPDATE:

Finally finished:

100_6586_zps142d16ae.jpg

100_6587_zps944ca5ab.jpg

100_6588_zps094ea00b.jpg

100_6589_zps8acf7b97.jpg

100_6590_zps5d316763.jpg

100_6592_zps805be0c9.jpg

Yeah, the weathering is pretty heavy, but I wanted to show that the Galactica had been on the run from the Cylons and not had the luxury of going to the car wash.

BTW: lost all the old photos. Sorry.

Not bad (barely swallowing the "for a monogram"). :)

But seriously, you did an excellent job. I started a monogram kit a while back (link), I got so upset with all the inaccuracies that I finally put it aside and bought a TimeSlip kit. So I know the heartache that you went through.

Looks really good! I admire your persistence, particularly with the new Moebius kit out. As an old dude I'm always happy to see upgrades to these classic kits rather than OOB builds of stuff that looks good without any extra work. Nice! :)

Thanks Pedro! I have a place in my heart for the older kits, not to mention I like the challenge inherent with them.

I'll be posting more pics soon, as I finish the stand for it. Stay tuned.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back