Apollo A7L Moon Suit

kenlandrum

Sr Member
This thread is for anyone interested in putting together an Apollo A7L suit or display. As patterns and parts are finished I will post them here on the first page of the thread.

Enjoy!

Glove Pattern File & Models (3/2020)

Neck Ring Models (12/2019)

Hip Buckle Models (1/16/2020)

Lower Torso PLSS Bracket Model (1/16/2020)

Helmet Models (11/2019), (revised to fit neck ring better 12/2019)

"Snoopy" Cap Pattern File & Models (11/2019)

Spacesuit Pattern Files (12/2019)

***PLEASE: This pattern and accompanying models are for the personal enjoyment of RPF members. PLEASE do not use for commercial purposes without permission... Thank you.

Last edited:
The Apollo and NASA Meatball logo are 3.5" across, printed out on square Beta Fabric then hand sewn on the suit.

The neck ring and PLSS connector fittings look to be replicas. I say this because the gold press tabs look like painted resin. I could be wrong. I can take some measurements off my suit later and report back.

Hope that helps.

Ok so here is a pic of my suit I just took. If you are looking for exact measurements from government blueprints, please disregard. These wer taken off the suit you see below:

Measurements:

A 2 5/8"
B 1 3/8"
C 2 11/16"
D 7/8"
E 9 15/16"
F ? I didnt get around to making wrist cuffs or boot cuffs......next year hahaha.

If you come across blueprints for the PLSS RCU please PM me.

Good luck,

Christian

Perhaps this person can help you out.
link

Ok so here is a pic of my suit I just took. If you are looking for exact measurements from government blueprints, please disregard. These wer taken off the suit you see below:

[url]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii203/lear60man/Suit_zps0abbc6cb.jpg[/URL]

Measurements:

A 2 5/8"
B 1 3/8"
C 2 11/16"
D 7/8"
E 9 15/16"
F ? I didnt get around to making wrist cuffs or boot cuffs......next year hahaha.

If you come across blueprints for the PLSS RCU please PM me.

Good luck,

Christian

Thanks guys!! Huge help...huge!

UPDATE:
Just received measurements from the actual suit.
Thanks again to Lear60man. Yours are pretty close!

Actual NASA A7L:
A: 65 mm
B: 33 mm
C: 55 mm
D: 20 mm
E: These come in different sizes, the one I measured was 270 mm
F: These also come in different sizes, the one I measured was 104 mm
G: (not sure) 4 inches
H: 3 inches

Models of these parts for 3D printing will be coming soon!

fittings.jpg
Parts for print... now that they are sized properly.

Looking good Ken.

Semaj.....I think he has them on Shapeways but please confirm with Ken before ordering. He recently reworked them to the correct sizes and I am not sure if the correct ones are on Shapeways or not.

Yeah, these ended up being a little undersized. My hunch is that whoever measured the suit was measuring the water connector on top, which is a little smaller than the four gas connectors underneath. The water connector is a little different in design too (it's symmetrical with 2 gold tabs, whereas the gas connectors are left/right-handed and have 3 tabs). If you want some dimensions for the gas connector, I can give them to you off my Spaceworks reproductions.

Yeah, these ended up being a little undersized. My hunch is that whoever measured the suit was measuring the water connector on top, which is a little smaller than the four gas connectors underneath. The water connector is a little different in design too (it's symmetrical with 2 gold tabs, whereas the gas connectors are left/right-handed and have 3 tabs). If you want some dimensions for the gas connector, I can give them to you off my Spaceworks reproductions.

Yes please!! I really wanna get these models as accurate as possible!

Last edited:
Found this photo on the web and it shows them being 2.75" dia.
12260633596_5ca83b1e08.jpg

The old ones were 2.553" dia.
revised Valve Size.jpg

I have corrected the files. Thanks for the feedback!

The bigger issue is the height of your connectors. I think it was based on the height of the water connector, which is shorter. The gas connectors are significantly taller, maybe 25% or more.

Also, the design of the water connector is different (if you look carefully). There are only 2 gold tabs, no inner o-ring. and the outer flange is a separate piece. It's a totally different design and smaller, which is hard to tell in photographs because most pictures of these suits are head on. I think the person who gave you dimensions measured the water connector and assumed all the connectors were the same size.

Found this photo on the web and it shows them being 2.75" dia.
View attachment 586871

The old ones were 2.553" dia.
View attachment 586872

I have corrected the files. Thanks for the feedback!

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, the water connector is the one at the top, adjacent the electrical connector.

I also have an accurately sized machined diverter valve set from spaceworks and they are larger than the ones I got printed from your files.

I really wanna get these suckers as close as possible...
-----
revised valves.jpg
- Resized valves to 2.75" diameter
- Gas valves now have taller base
- New water valve with lower profile
- Resized diverter valve

revValve.jpg
Did a test print last night on the new gas valve.

buckle-01.jpg
Buckle Progress

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back